Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ligatorswe

How salty is salt?

Right now my crew on one of my traders are trowing overboard salt. Salt is either thrown overboard, or destroyed in the harbour och stockpiled until i get a few hundred real from it. My crew reports that they very much dislike salt.

What should we do with it?

I would propose thateither we get rid of salt entirely or we create a market for it somehow so you actually feel happy when you get salt. As it is now i feel more happy when fishing a boring snapper, that when receiving lots and lots of salt.

Edited by Ligatorswe
  • Like 1

Maybe make Provisions out of Fish needs salt as well (I believe this was the intend in the first place)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Meraun said:

Maybe make Provisions out of Fish needs salt as well (I believe this was the intend in the first place)

Yeah it was. It's just a redundant item left over from a previous game mechanic that they havn't gotten round to deleting yet.

1 hour ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Maybe when they will implement port production related to port consumption, salt will be made more interesting, cause now it's just a cheaper than fish stuff most of us destroy .

I keep my fish in my harbour. After some time i have a huge pile of rotten, stinking fish in the harbours that i sell. 😉

Salt was an important commodity for sailors in the age of sail. It was used for salt pork, salt beef and fish. Salt was also used for keeping slaughtered beef and fish from rotting on long voyages. Profits from salt - harvested from salt pans that were found on Caribbean islands such as Turks & Caicos, Curacao and Bonaire - became a prime source of income for these islands.

Maybe salt should have more value in Naval Action; similar to Cartagena Tar and other 'island specific' commodities.

Just now, Captiva said:

Salt was an important commodity for sailors in the age of sail. It was used for salt pork, salt beef and fish. Salt was also used for keeping slaughtered beef and fish from rotting on long voyages. Profits from salt - harvested from salt pans that were found on Caribbean islands such as Turks & Caicos, Curacao and Bonaire - became a prime source of income for these islands.

Maybe salt should have more value in Naval Action; similar to Cartagena Tar and other 'island specific' commodities.

White gold.

• Like 1

I've been wondering what happened to salt also. It didn't seem to have a place anymore. I hope we can use it again for provisions or at least as a minor trading commodity. I decided till then that I will keep mine as long as I have room and sell it when I can. 2 reals each salt is better than a stick in the eye.

Its not so bad.

When the crew tells me "We are overloaded, fishing has stopped", I give the order to throw some of the Salt overboard, restart fishing, and set sail for port.  It is a buffer that allows me to fish till full, knowing I will get an alert and not have to destroy any fish.

I can use Salt as a charitable donation and place a sell contract for Newbies to make a modest profit.

I can use Salt in a player to player trade to express that I do not like the offer.

It would be great if Salt was necessary for crafting Provisions, Labor Contacts, ships, etc.  But I doubt that the Devs will do so: They are much too busy.

Edited by Macjimm