Game-Labs Forum

Try-before-you-buy DLCs - Ship-notes

My suggestion:

Add Rättvisan, L'Hermione and Le Requin ship-notes to Tutorial rewards, alongside the Hercules and Rattlesnake Ship-notes.

My reasons:

The first, simple reason is advertisement. Allowing players to try the DLC-ships, will encourage people to purchase them. You get a Hercules note, you like sailing the ship - when you loose it you will likely want to buy the DLC to get to sail it more. 

I once sank a Swede who was hunting in a Le Requin. He was still sailing the redeemable Le Requin that we got for testing when the ship was first added to the game. And when he sank he said that he would now buy the DLC.

The second reason needs some preface. I am not going to relitigate the decision to Rättvisan as a DLC-ship to the game. I have grown to accept it and believe that if crafting is made simpler as you seem to intend, it will all work out fine. My remaining concern is the timing of adding 2 more DLCs to the game before release. Because it could look a bit «intimidating» to potential buyers with a game that already has so many DLCs upon release. There are gamers like me, who when buying a new game typically buys all the available DLC at the same time, and considers this into the cost of the game (most typically for strategy-games, because I don’t want to start playing a game with a «limited» experience only to then progressively expand it with DLC later on). 

But other gamers will be buying just the game alone at first, to play it and then postpone the decision of buying DLCs till they have decided how they feel about the game. For these players, all ships being available in-game without DLCs, although limited to one-time use when you don’t have the DLC might help make the decision to buy a little easier.

Then there is the issue of what the game will look like immediately after release. After release, veteran players will quickly be sailing DLC-ships. First Hercules and Requin, then L’Hermione and within 3 days the first players will have reached a rank where they can sail the Rättvisan. 

At this point, the division between veteran players, who already have the DLCs, and new players who are just trying out the game, is going to manifest very clearly. 

But if all new players have to do, to be able to progress through the ranks and ships, the same way as veteran players, is complete the final exam to get these ship-notes, then that will constitute an achievable path for them to follow to get the same progress as veteran players have. Of course, to get unlimited access to these DLC-ships they will have to buy the DLCs like others have before them, but by this time when they need to make this decision, they have already been able to enjoy the game for tens, if not hundreds, of hours. This could make all the difference.

And importantly, the game will also be at a point where people are getting their crafting up, and the choice will no longer be whether to have DLC-ships or fall behind, but whether to rely entirely on crafted ships, or to supplement with DLC-ships for time-saving purposes.

• Like 17

That is a good idea. Advertisement!

And all get to try out the DLC good ships. But i would not give them notes for all ships. Just 2-3 of them. And not the Rättvisan and other ships of that kind. (With time the number of DLCs will grow and that can create problems if we are to hand out notes for all.)

Edited by Ligatorswe

as we seem to get a xp wipe, probably bind those notes for the single use dlc ships to your rank ups, so you get those ships as you proceed through the game.

And probably, if we get pvp ranks or somethin like that as banished privateer asked/mentioned in a post on another topic a couple fo days ago, make them accessable through those, so you get a lot of pvp through people that want to try out dlc ships.

sounds fine. I still have a large issue that you cannot craft DLC ships. the DLCs should be for players to get ships easy, not to give them exclusive rights to more powerful ships....but that's not what this thread is about.

I am still concerned that with the amount of DLCs were are getting, it'll just turn into DLC Action as you seem to suggest. It's all well and good to have people get notes to "try them out" though.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Teutonic said:

sounds fine. I still have a large issue that you cannot craft DLC ships. the DLCs should be for players to get ships easy, not to give them exclusive rights to more powerful ships....but that's not what this thread is about.

I am still concerned that with the amount of DLCs were are getting, it'll just turn into DLC Action as you seem to suggest. It's all well and good to have people get notes to "try them out" though.

Other than some special ships we should be able to craft all ships in game.  DLC ships and any note ships should only be 3/5 ships with perks.  The only way to get anything better is by crafting them.

• Like 1

Captains, this discussion is leading nowhere. Every developer has every right to publish additional content to his work. Why should this not be in NA? 

I'm sure your doubts will be pondered elaborately by the devs -- we've seen in the past that DLC ships are not overpowered. But they might provide a good chance to players to quick counter-attack and might improve PVP and that's what we all want, isn't it?

And I must say that TRY before BUY is a very good proposal.

Edited by mikawa