Game-Labs Forum

Forum communications

1 hour ago, admin said:

Passionate people cannot control emotions but it creates rage and misunderstandings on both sides. Its not even cultural differences its just emotion control. 
Engaging in direct discussion (thinking you are talking to friends in the bar) does not work when some things you say are twisted and misrepresented.

There will be no more discussions in public.
There will be community liaisons selected from players and nations who will talk to a general public and pass information we should look at to us. 
More information will follow some time in the future. 

I think is a good move, will leave you to code and look at big issues from your community liasons.

One thing i would suggest also would be to make liasons chosen keep it under wraps what they doing, otherwise will be hassled by some trying to put words in their mouth and change opinion by any means.  At least if chosen players keep secret what they doing will mean unbiased feedback coming back.

Perhaps for their discretion some extra gift on release if they do in fact keep things a secret (a special mission).

PS: Don't ever pick me, i hate responsibility.

Edited by Dibbler

32 minutes ago, admin said:

There will be no more discussions in public.
There will be community liaisons selected from players and nations who will talk to a general public and pass information we should look at to us. 
More information will follow some time in the future. 

This is how it should have been done since 2013, to be honest. No discussions, no forum opinions with an impact on development and no ship selection polls.

'Democracy' doesn´t seem work as far as game development is concerned. The mess we've been through in last couple of years should be proof enough for that.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pit said:

Then we the testers should have the right to chose selected people. Otherwise this is bogus

I'm going to bet it's prob not folks that actually have the most feed back from other players of nations, but instead a bunch of there....well lets not go there.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I'm going to bet it's prob not folks that actually have the most feed back from other players of nations, but instead a bunch of there....well lets not go there.

Waht about beeing positive about something for once? Maybe consider that this change coud improve something? Change needs to come from everyone. the Dev's and you as well.

17 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Well if they choose wrong people who push personal agenda over what is fact and good for game....  will be mistake long term and could cause disaster.

At end of day Devs want a success and profit,  is their choice and end results that will be on line.

I suspect that devs will be aware of who they trust and not allow ego to interfere,  is their call and future that is affected by their own choices (which is as it should be no?).

Edited by Dibbler

Just now, Dibbler said:

Well if they choose wrong people who push personal agenda over what is fact and good for game....  will be mistake long term and could cause disaster.

At end of day Devs want a success and profit,  is their choice and end results that will be on line.

It doesn't matter.  Devs will build the game they choose to build.  All they are looking for is a conduit to the testers.  It's not like they are going to just slavishly input the suggestions that come to them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It doesn't matter.  Devs will build the game they choose to build.  All they are looking for is a conduit to the testers.  It's not like they are going to just slavishly input the suggestions that come to them.

Yes totally agree, is their game, their choices, just people chosen will help flag anything worth looking at over general noise and bitching.

I think will be better for devs who i have seen often chasing their own tails as they flip between extreme views on forum.

Will make things as should be, devs choices based upon general feedback if anything creates big issues.

Their game, their choices, their future. :)

5 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

among the delinquents there are 

said the one who preaches against toxic forums

fanboys here are just the same as haters … and that's the problem

Well, now it has been solved in a way or the other

At least this shows that the development is so advanced (and the launch so close) that they do not think they need much feedback anymore

Edited by toblerone

Good that you will create a system of community liaisons. Pick them youselves, among people that have acted responsibly on the forum and that have contributed creatively, and that have a good reputation (or at least a neutral one).

I will miss your voice here but i fully understand and support you.

Edited by Ligatorswe

10 minutes ago, toblerone said:

At least this shows that the development is so advanced (and the launch so close) that they do not think they need much feedback anymore

I would not say that they do not need feedback but rather with the resulted few individuals that are over zealous creating a toxic enviroment and spreading misinformation much of what is seen is that moronic money grabbing SidAlpha, it is a distraction and delays progress when they have to play crowd control.

17 hours ago, Capt Aerobane said:

I'm saddened to see it has gotten to this, I miss the times when the most controversial thing happening was Mr.Doran's chatban for spamming trinco duel requests.

Close-

I was banned from dueling temporarily for dueling too much... go figure right. They let me duel in snows and other light ships though until the ban was seen as unnecessary. 

7 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Norfolk nChance [ELITE]

Ps

A Balls of Steel move would be to Un-Ban everybody from the last month as an amnesty…

You're a far better person than I....  

In my mind, once you venture outside of the "family" of the GL forums and start ACTIVELY promoting for the failure of the game and spreading of half-truths and negativity, you lose any right to join in the use of that work.

You're literally attacking my means of providing for my family.  As well as those that depend on me for employment.

Banning you from enjoying the fruits of my work is the LEAST I'd want to do.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You're a far better person than I....  

In my mind, once you venture outside of the "family" of the GL forums and start ACTIVELY promoting for the failure of the game and spreading of half-truths and negativity, you lose any right to join in the use of that work.

You're literally attacking my means of providing for my family.  As well as those that depend on me for employment.

Banning you from enjoying the fruits of my work is the LEAST I'd want to do.

That family sounds a lot like a cult, If you are proffesional you take in all feedback. It is literally your job. You should not try to act as in siege mentality as if there is "right" and "wrong" side ..

Edited by manuva85
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Joernsson said:

Despite its dizzying complexity, Naval Action currently lacks any kind of in-game tutorial mode, a fact which has led many to brand it too obtuse and difficult. However, Zasov claims that he and his team have had feedback from numerous players who say they actually prefer learning the ropes (no pun intended) for themselves.

"Some players do prefer it this way!" he says with a laugh. "They don't want the game to do a lot of handholding. We trust our player intelligence and most of the core mechanics are done in the way that players can learn them themselves."

Source: https://www.redbull.com/in-en/naval-action-interview-red-bull-games

Probably Devs believe this is still the case today... Although the tutorial is already in game meanwhile.

The game is rife with complex and unknowable aspects that can have a big impact on a player. I don't know how anyone can make serious progress or be successful without being part of a strong clan that they hang out with in TS or Discord. How many times have I heard a newer player ask an innocent question and then get a five minute education from someone, or multiple people, about all the aspects of that thing and all the implications and twists?

I don't think handholding is the answer and I wouldn't expect the devs to program in more tutorials or new interfaces at this point in the development cycle, but maybe some pop-up tips or hover-over texts would be helpful. I'd imagine this community could come up with a big list of these types of tips and identify where and when to show them.

A simple example might be, when you enter a battle with a ship in fleet, pop up a message that says 'Stay close to your fleet to maximize firepower!'. That little tip would be the answer to hundreds of posts about how completely useless fleet ships are when you are attacked, they'd just be mostly useless then ;)

On 4/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, admin said:

Removing the open communication will remove the sources for frustration. 

It is sad that it had to come to this but maybe it is for the better. There are too many people wasting your time - too many haters / negative people and too many apple-polishers and fanboys. 

What you really need is players with significant game experience that provide honest and unbiased feedback that considers as many players / playstyles as possible, aswell as your vision for the game.

What really helps development the most is well conceived, respectful and constructive negative feedback. I am sure it is nice to hear positive feedback and you deserve it for your excellent work but does it help the game / development? No, it really doesn't ( except for motivating you maybe ). But constructive negative feedback can lead to an improvement, if you can agree with it / see it from their perspective.

I think if you want to ask the community on their opinion, you should do polls. It doesn't waste much of your time and you can see all opinions without having to read through dozens of pages.

@Vernon Merrill

It Would be a big call, but I think @admin could easily turn the public perception around by my complete idea proposed. It is a risk I know...

The comments here I find amusing and we as a general rule focus on the STEAM Reviews. Yet we as a whole put little if any effort into supporting the STEAM forums. The ideas are all discussed here and here alone.

The once a month YouTube done properly gives people a sense of been heard. Even if their idea is not liked, rather than just ignored. This reinforces the repetitive negative posts. Shouting from the roof tops, like in the case of Banished...

Client interfacing is what all businesses are about. The action by @admin although I sympathise, it actually moves Game-Labs further away from its customer and not closer...

But that’s just my opinion…

Norfolk

• Like 4

all this shit caused by a spoiled little brat. Give him your hand and he will take your arm. You should have banned him sooner if you ask me. You did nothing wrong on the communication side. I use many forums and bans are something very common. For some reason people here just take it super personal. I have been in games were I was banned after 10 min :) 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Borch said:

It was actually more than spoiled brat. All started with broken XP promise and while I tottaly agree with full wipe and dont care about that promise, admins choice of words was poor at best. That was wrong on the communication side.

I honestly don't mind the wipe and glad I'm getting to keep the harder thing to collect in this game and that was the books. I haven't had a good book drop in ages, basicly just scrap mods for the most part.  not sure what they done with the loot tables, but I haven't had time to try to get some of the new chest and test them out lately.

For me it was exactly this, how they presented the info to us and how they reacted.  I actually been wanting more wipes leading up to the relase to better test things, but seems they are going to drag this out and keep makign changes and not get it done.   Make some final announcements,  drop the patches with proper good detail notes.  Give time for feed back or bug finding and get this game released.  At least to a beta stage or soemthing to be even more ready for final release.  Which still doesn't look like any time soon at this rate.  So I'm guessing witner time release?

Oh and I still think the Pandora DLC thing is wrong, that was suppose to be something special for all EA players not any one can buy it.  They could of codded it diffrently like give every one EA the BP of the ship as a perm redeemable that once  you learn it you know it.   Oh well what is done is done.  I'm just going to sit back on the side lines for now until the game releases and see where things go from there.

The irony of irony happened to me today. My comment on sids YouTube video were deleted apparently. I called him a retard to be fair but I did give him good reasons. You guys know I always justify calling someone a retard. I'll need to look into the matter a bit since I don't know how YouTube deals with toxicity. Comment is gone for sure

• Like 5

15 hours ago, vazco said:

Pala, there are many ways to communicate. I understand that devs will not go into discussion with people, but will still post patch notes and read what people reply. There will be also mods who still will care for the community. This is a good change, and don't prevent exchange of information and feedback.

It works when on every idea, even the stupidiest ones, you say "thanks for feedback", or don't say anything, and then do what YOU think is best. You only risk misunderstanding someone's idea when you don't go into discussion. Weighting it out, it's less of a risk than enflaming people due to going into discussion.

Don't get me wrong I don't think it's a bad idea per se. Though the picture it creates is not too positive. Fighting heated up communications with a "comm stop" creates the feeling of being pushed to hard, being tired of talking or in the worst case abusing ones power to silence critics. I unterstand it, but as Malachy said, it should have happened earlier. 

The lesson i draw from all this is once again, that people obviously are often unable to find a healthy way of interpersonal communication in social media or the Internet in general. Lack of facial expression and gestures leads to misunderstandings, but instead of asking further, assumptions are made leading to even more mistaken interpretations. 

So yes I understand the move, it's just sad it has come so far. 

• Like 1

this game will live or die based on its ability to balance historical accuracy with fun and playability- we have been close so many times to making this a great game and somehow always manage to over-correct and take a step back. Maybe listening to the vocal minority led us down the wrong path- who knows.  If there would have been small changes over time it would have been better-- but Devs were always insistent on trying something completely different.  i will continue to support this game and play until something better comes along (it will).  Will this  ever be released or is this a gaming experiment to make ultimate admirals  a better game? Only time will tell-

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

The irony of irony happened to me today. My comment on sids YouTube video were deleted apparently. I called him a retard to be fair but I did give him good reasons. You guys know I always justify calling someone a retard. I'll need to look into the matter a bit since I don't know how YouTube deals with toxicity. Comment is gone for sure

The irony :).

For many censorship is when they are censored. When they ban themselves it is free speech (because its their platform).
They only complain about censorship when it is about them, but then censor you the second you post something they don't like, or does not fit their agenda. 

I am also sure everyone who complained about unfair removals of messages here  WONT complain about unfair removal of hachi content on that channel. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Palatinose said:

Don't get me wrong I don't think it's a bad idea per se. Though the picture it creates is not too positive. Fighting heated up communications with a "comm stop" creates the feeling of being pushed to hard, being tired of talking or in the worst case abusing ones power to silence critics. I unterstand it, but as Malachy said, it should have happened earlier. 

The lesson i draw from all this is once again, that people obviously are often unable to find a healthy way of interpersonal communication in social media or the Internet in general. Lack of facial expression and gestures leads to misunderstandings, but instead of asking further, assumptions are made leading to even more mistaken interpretations. 

So yes I understand the move, it's just sad it has come so far. 

It will get worse. Polarization will continue and we will see the total removal of free speech from the internet in the next 10-15 years. It will spread from the east (china, singapore) and when western governments realize that they cant control the masses if masses can speak on social media to millions of other people they will start removing all dissent and opposition from social media. Its already starting.

• Like 2