Game-Labs Forum

1st Bull Run - I love this battle !

contact

I’m now playing as Union on Major General level. Having just played 1st Bull Run. Giving the Rebs a pasting !

I love this battle because playing either Union or CSA. I use only a small amount of ‘my’ troops. The rest comes from the AL.

As a result I tend to hold ‘my’ troops back and let the other’s take care of the battle. It gives a good start to the war in providing a reasonable amount of money, troops and weapons for the victory. Plus keeping ‘my’ own casualties to a minimum.

I was a bit annoyed with myself for losing my cavalry though. Even more so as I do not field much. So I decided to refight it in order to ensure I kept them safe.

But the CSA AL did not play ball. The tactics used by the Rebs changed 😐. That put me in my place !

So have decided to go back to the first win and simply replace my cavalry should I feel it’s required.

I do love how the AL changes tactics for the same battle. Much more fun.

Edited by contact
Error

I just played this battle again on Union MG legendary trying to use  @pandakraut  tactics with great success.  I sent the Sherman reinforcements all the way across the map edge past the original ford anticipating the map expand in the second phase.  Got a full envelopement.  If you’re interested, I could try playing again and recording it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jpburns said:

I just played this battle again on Union MG legendary trying to use  @pandakraut  tactics with great success.  I sent the Sherman reinforcements all the way across the map edge past the original ford anticipating the map expand in the second phase.  Got a full envelopement.  If you’re interested, I could try playing again and recording it.

Hi,

Many thanks. That would be interesting. I did in the 3rd phase, push back/wipe out the CSA troops.

One rogue CSA Brigade retreated in the opposite direction. But I did use 2 of ‘my’ Brigades to chase it. Corner it. Destroy it.

I captured various weapons. My surprise was that over 2000 Farmers were taken. Showing just how poorly armed the CSA were.

Best wishes.

Edited by contact
Error

1st Bull Run really is a great 'General Repetition' for grand battles later in the campaign. The loan troops mean that as a newer player, one can do more mistakes without risking permament damage to their army from excessive losses or shattering. At the same time, the AI doesn't play around and poses a pretty significant challenge. You also learn to take objectives rapidly and efficently. If you haven't dug down your heels at Henry Farm or if your troops are exhausted when Jackson arrives, I find that his troops will swiftly turn your army into a fine paste along Henry Hill's northern slope! Especially at higher difficulties.

Farmers might be a crappy firearm, but their melee rating is one of the highest for infantry weapons in the game!

• Like 1

Hi,

Agree with you there. I have also found that the Farmer can be useful when used by experienced troops. I had captured Farmers. Instead of selling them or raising a fresh Brigade. I issued them to a 1 star Brigade. The high value of 18 caused severe damage on enemy troops.

Best wishes

• 1 month later...

I agree with what you guys said. I just ended the battle my first time on MG and as the CSA (only previously played it as the Union, just got the game a week back). Playing with the rebalance mod. 

It's a good starting battle, lots of allied units to play around with (though I try to keep from exploiting them to much,  I try to role-play more than exploit game mechanics). 

There were moments were my lines were almost overrun by the Union AI previously to Johnston's late arrival, initiating the CSA's counterattack phase. I have no doubt an actual human Union player would have exploited some weaknesses in my lines. I positioned a portion of my line a bit badly, too close to the river in front of Henry's hill, letting the Union brigades take use of some available cover instead of luring them into crossing the river hastily and let them instead give my brigades, who were out in the open, a good pounding prior to engaging in melee.

But we managed to hold the line and successfully launch a counterattack in the end.

1587771797_bullrunvictory.png.c4c6527c4627ffc524e88fb4e619549f.png

PS: it's really scary when you see a doom brigade of 3000 men charge over a river with only a 800 men brigade on the other side. Thank god we had a closed line with supporting brigades close by and good artillery positioning!

Edited by Lucasiewicz
  • Like 1

1st Bull Run as CSA is one of my favorite battles of the campaign. I can usually hold the Union at the bridge tight up until their reinforcements from the west start getting too close and I pull back. I never try defending the hill in the east and always keep my reinforcements held back and use at least 1 of the brigades to help watch the flank of my bridge defenders. When the map expands I find I have a ton of time to set up an excellent line just back from the river and those Union brigades struggle and die attempting to cross. When the final wave of reinforcements come in I usually have the Union on the ropes. If I'm lucky my cav brigade managed to capture some supplies, kill some artillery/skirmishers/routing brigades and usually ends the battle with a good 1000+ kills.

It's first thing in the morning so I can't remember names right now lol.

On the flip side I'm actually beating my head against the battle right now as the Union, done it several times and can't quite beat em. I've done it before, quite effectively, but they keep doing something totally new and unexpected every battle. Also getting REALLY tired of watching a single 800 man 3 star CSA brigade charge and rout 3 infantry brigades and supporting infantry all alone. I'll get it though. I was very close my last run but I didn't realize the battle ended when the contested timer ran out in the last phase, since there was still lots of time left on the overall battle timer. I was meters away from the cap and thought I had time.

23 minutes ago, Jorlaan said:

I'll get it though. I was very close my last run but I didn't realize the battle ended when the contested timer ran out in the last phase, since there was still lots of time left on the overall battle timer. I was meters away from the cap and thought I had time.

It is the worst when you realize that you could have walked forward anytime in the last 10 minutes and not lost the battle...

44 minutes ago, Jorlaan said:

1st Bull Run as CSA is one of my favorite battles of the campaign. I can usually hold the Union at the bridge tight up until their reinforcements from the west start getting too close and I pull back. I never try defending the hill in the east and always keep my reinforcements held back and use at least 1 of the brigades to help watch the flank of my bridge defenders. When the map expands I find I have a ton of time to set up an excellent line just back from the river and those Union brigades struggle and die attempting to cross. When the final wave of reinforcements come in I usually have the Union on the ropes. If I'm lucky my cav brigade managed to capture some supplies, kill some artillery/skirmishers/routing brigades and usually ends the battle with a good 1000+ kills.

Yup. That is the sensible tactic. But, like I discovered, don't put your line too close behind the river either! 🙂 On the left side they can use some trees and a farmhouse as cover and their artillery has an easier time finding your brigades who are in the open. Thank god it's just allied brigades :D