Game-Labs Forum

I do 3D models, and what I need from Naval action is...

weirdguy

I would like to have a pack of textures for the wooden hulls, ropes, and the rest from the Naval Action guys, that way I can make a ship and not have to worry about them having to texture the whole thing.  

I could use my own textures, but I prefer to use something pre-existing to keep the quality up, and possibly help out the game designers to keep textures kept in memory down to a reasonable level.  I believe it helps to use the same textures as much as possible.

• Like 2

Anim8or, but it can put out files as both Lightwave or 3D studio Max.  Also, I have used a couple of other programs like Maya PLE to convert files back and forth between Anim8or and Maya.

However, for textures any JPEG file works just fine for a texture.

What I suggest is to make low quality versions of the game's textures available to us 3D model maker guys (again, to keep the file sizes down) and we can then send back3D models using those low quality (but same physical size, aka if the original texture is 1440x1440 pixels send us a low quality 1440x1440 texture) and the Games-Labs LLC guys can just load in their good, high quality (and huge file size) textures when we send them our 3D models.

That is what we did on Pirates of the Burning Sea.  We amateur 3D art guys were able to all work using the same exact textures, although you could include your own texture if you wanted, but we tried to keep that down to a minimum.

Also, it would help to know the polygon budget allowed for each ship model.  In pirates of the burning sea that changed based on the size of a ship, but I know the polygons are much, much higher in Naval Action based on the graphics you can see in screenshots and video.

I don't think the devs are just going to hand over anything to you. I highly doubt any company would, you could just put an idea forward instead. Say if you provide a vessel within certain stands of quality and all relevant information on that ship then they can texture it and all that good stuff. But as far as giving away materials to a complete stranger....I'd think not.

• Like 2

I don't think the devs are just going to hand over anything to you. I highly doubt any company would, you could just put an idea forward instead. Say if you provide a vessel within certain stands of quality and all relevant information on that ship then they can texture it and all that good stuff. But as far as giving away materials to a complete stranger....I'd think not.

Actually, from what I understand the opposite is going to happen.  I've been told that the guys here will take outside submissions of ship 3D models from us and put them into the game.  I just was hoping for a standardized textures for 3D artists to work from so we don't end up with every ship in the game using custom textures, all of which add up in your computer memory.  It really does help keep memory usage down if everyone is painted using the same texture out of your RAM memory.

The devs pay people for models and encourage anybody to make historical good quality and fidelity models for the game I believe.

As for screenshots of my work, I already posted those in a different introduction post I made, but I suppose I can post some more.   Just google "Pirates of the Burning Sea La Belle and Pirates of the Burning Sea Cruizer Snow" and those are my two ships that got added to the game (over 60% of the ships in PotBS were made by players, not the in house 3D artists from Flying Lab Studios).

HMS%20Erias%20-%20(unpainted).png

La%20Belle%20-%20(unpainted).png

That is a Cruizer, and my La Belle, both screenshots from when they were added to the game.

post-6128-0-92925800-1421562323_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I think the issue you will find looking at the screenshots of your example is that Game Labs ships will be and are of much higher polygon count/quality than the ships made in Pirates of the Burning Sea.  I do remember Akella doing some work for them in the early stages of the game development back in 2007?

What polygon count are your examples as they look really low, and I am thinking they probably wont be up to the standards they are looking for unless you completely redo them.