Game-Labs Forum

PvE or PvP server

Greetings,

Becouse of looming final wipe and game release im having a problem deciding should i go on PvP server again or go to PvE server.Problem is i have less time than i had before so i belive PvE server would be right for me and my casual playstyle whats your opinion on this?

War server for me lacks structure to keep me going, PVP is great at all but it's a bunch of diva's now sailing gold ships with super mods, speed capped ships or running in groups which people only want to fight if they have a higher chance of winning, there's so little enthusiasm and so much salt going around. I can't bring myself to sail for an hour to find pvp because half the time the fight is complete crap and makes me feel like I've wasted an entire session doing absolutely nothing. I hate having my time betrayed and the War server seems built on making you spend hours on something for it to end in a couple of minutes, forcing you to go ALLL the way back to the start.

Peace server probably does have more potential because there you can have a world being built, in War everyone is forced to fight, forgetting about merchants, privateers and the rest who aren't combatants of war, and pretty much everyone plays as if they are a pirate, no honor whatsoever. Peace can have have all other aspects of characters and include pvp along with it, But War can't be PvP 1st and include the rest. If I had to put it to summary I would say Peace server is more of an MMO, while War server is more DayZ like, more of a pvp game than anything.

Choose what you want, you can have a character in both so you're not going to miss out on anything either way.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 4

it doesnt matter what server you are on. The low player base makes pveing very safe on pvp server. I think the devs should allow pve server players a ONE time only redeemable server switch. Once they get boarded of killing ai and are confident they can try pvp they can switch server without starting over. Maybe only rank and ships since resourses could be exploited a bit more. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

it doesnt matter what server you are on. The low player base makes pveing very safe on pvp server. I think the devs should allow pve server players a ONE time only redeemable server switch. Once they get boarded of killing ai and are confident they can try pvp they can switch server without starting over. Maybe only rank and ships since resourses could be exploited a bit more. 

But pvp isn't want most people expect or want. Not in it's current form, ganks, gold ships and mods sort of rule War server and your either a predator or prey which is just strange for the setting, and pvpers don't seem willing to get rid of that advantage to make pvp fun for all. Not that it would matter, but what War server needs is balance through ships and not through mods, speed capped ships shouldn't even exist, and a focus on new content, raids, blockades, as well as getting rid of the stupid limitations on outpost and building so free market and player enterprise can exist, among other things. Like I can't understate how crazy it is that we're sitting here 4 years in development and we do not have raids, or blockades in an age of sail themed regional conquest MMO game. What we have is a patrol circle game thing, and pvp marks 2.0 plus half a dozen other currencies. PVP is such a mess I couldn't recommend anybody it, it will betray your time an expectations for what an age of sail MMO can be.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

But pvp isn't want most people expect or want. Not in it's current form, ganks, gold ships and mods sort of rule War server and your either a predator or prey which is just strange for the setting, and pvpers don't seem willing to get rid of that advantage to make pvp fun for all. Not that it would matter, but what War server needs is balance through ships and not through mods, speed capped ships shouldn't even exist, and a focus on new content, raids, blockades, as well as getting rid of the stupid limitations on outpost and building so free market and player enterprise can exist, among other things. Like I can't understate how crazy it is that we're sitting here 4 years in development and we do not have raids, or blockades in an age of sail themed regional conquest MMO game. What we have is a patrol circle game thing, and pvp marks 2.0 plus half a dozen other currencies. PVP is such a mess I couldn't recommend anybody it, it will betray your time an expectations for what an age of sail MMO can be.

That has nothing to do with what I said. More opportunities is always better than less. Their character will remain on pve server so it doesn't matter. The progress would be separate but that's no issue. 

Edited by HachiRoku

2 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

That has nothing to do with what I said. More opportunities is always better than less. Their character will remain on pve server so it doesn't matter. The progress would be separate but that's no issue. 

I hope not because mostly it's PVPers who don't want this for PVE, I wonder why *thinking emoji*

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

I hope not because mostly it's PVPers who don't want this for PVE, I wonder why *thinking emoji*

lol, no! We don't care what they do over there. That is... until they get something that might work for a precious few of us (duels). I even logged into PVE yesterday to redeem xp and stuff just in case.

I believe admin is quite final in his decision to prevent the competitive strife to seep over into PVE. The combination of competition and loss simply has too much potential to cause grief.

If you really want duels on PvE server you're asking for the wrong thing; You should be asking for a duel room without loss. I doubt you'll get even that, but such a lobby has the least potential for trouble and doesn't interfere with OW save for the odd idiot sperging on global chat about something that did or did not happen in the lobby.

16 minutes ago, jodgi said:

If you really want duels on PvE server you're asking for the wrong thing; You should be asking for a duel room without loss. I doubt you'll get even that, but such a lobby has the least potential for trouble and doesn't interfere with OW save for the odd idiot sperging on global chat about something that did or did not happen in the lobby.

The reward for winning doesnt have to come from the looser. It could eg be prestige or rank in a weekly duel ranking, boasting rights backed up with some doublons.

This lobby thing is also used for PvEvP in other games: 10 players + ai on one side vs 10 + ai on the other side could eg make a "Port Battle" or a "fleet battle" lobby.

28 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Nah that's not what I want. I hate the patrol zone, it's sickening to me. What a failure to the OW that we can't harness to add pseudo-lobbies. What better way to expose the OW for what it is, sailing too long and too far for a battle that's nothing more than mere piracy and a shallow quest for loot.

PVE actually has the potential to have a better OW in total than PVE. Good luck ever trying to give that back to PVP which has spoiled itself on bloodbath ganks and veterans stomping over everyone with their elite ships, using whatever overpower mind-numbing meta the game has to offer at the time.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

What do pvpers not want for pve? I think we are talking about something different. I don't care in the slightest bit what the devs do on the pve server. I have 0 knowledge about the pve server so my oppinion is irrelevant and it's none of my business either. I have heard from a handful of pve server players that they would like to try out the pvp server. They don't want to regrind everything. Give them a one time server switch were they can redeem all their xp, ships and books onto the pvp server. This way noobs could learn on the pve server and when they are confident they can switch server at free will. 

The only downside would be them bringing over ai captured 1st rates and they got their books under different rules. Ai first rates are trash anyway and the books would really have no effect. 

13 hours ago, Lovec1990 said:

Problem is i have less time than i had before so i belive PvE server would be right for me and my casual playstyle whats your opinion on this?

I've been pretty casual since I started, averaging a few hours per week.  It's easy to find something to do if your goals are not too high.  

If you want to sail big ships and have enough cash to; keep replacing your sunken ships, and keep fighting continuously you need to be in a clan.  Or you need to be very skilled.  

I like the PvP server because the risk adds excitement.

Perhaps the Devs will maintain their devotion to keep the PvE server  competition free.  This will allow the style to be relaxed and peaceful.  Then again maybe the Devs will change their mind and allow some form of consenting PvP on the Peace server.  There is no way to know.

• Like 2

Just now, HachiRoku said:

What do pvpers not want for pve? I think we are talking about something different. I don't care in the slightest bit what the devs do on the pve server. I have 0 knowledge about the pve server so my oppinion is irrelevant and it's none of my business either. I have heard from a handful of pve server players that they would like to try out the pvp server. They don't want to regrind everything. Give them a one time server switch were they can redeem all their xp, ships and books onto the pvp server. This way noobs could learn on the pve server and when they are confident they can switch server at free will. 

What I've heard recently is that PVE server is the server pvper's are going to want to switch too, I mean the people who favor ganks and whatnot will stay in war, but the pvper's who want good battles consistently and don't mind sharing a space owned by Peace players will enjoy this change.

23 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

PVE actually has the potential to have a better OW in total than PVE. Good luck ever trying to give that back to PVP which has spoiled itself on bloodbath ganks and veterans stomping over everyone with their elite ships, using whatever overpower mind-numbing meta the game has to offer at the time.

Ganks were never a major issue in os. Patrol zones are a disaster, I agree but if we manage to convince the devs they are simply broken things could change. If the roe was the same in patrols and open world with the better 2 minute join timer the open sea part of the game would be basically fixed. Revenge ganking is a harder one to fix but invisible timers with speed boosts are probably the best solution even though I dislike it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

What I've heard recently is that PVE server is the server pvper's are going to want to switch too, I mean the people who favor ganks and whatnot will stay in war, but the pvper's who want good battles consistently and don't mind sharing a space owned by Peace players will enjoy this change.

LOL, that's nonsense. I hate being ganked as much as everyone but fighting ai is bollocks. Pve server players are very unlikely to play the game for a long time because it's extremely repetitive. There is always something new to learn in pvp. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

Ganks were never a major issue in os. Patrol zones are a disaster, I agree but if we manage to convince the devs they are simply broken things could change. If the roe was the same in patrols and open world with the better 2 minute join timer the open sea part of the game would be basically fixed. Revenge ganking is a harder one to fix but invisible timers with speed boosts are probably the best solution even though I dislike it. 

No it wouldn't, there's serious deformities in pvp meta and it's a lack of solid conviction as to what an age of sail pvp conquest game is. Instead of focusing on conquest, realism, and balance we have patrol circles, no raids, blockades, no grand strategy type naval actions that go hand in hand with an over world. The mere fact that patrol zones exist how out of touch we are to what the game needs and doesn't need. PVP server died when the focus went to mods and loot over balance and conquest. Now it's a epeen fest for people who think adding mods to a ship, none of which have any downsides is a skill worthy of an age of sail setting.

3 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

LOL, that's nonsense. I hate being ganked as much as everyone but fighting ai is bollocks. Pve server players are very unlikely to play the game for a long time because it's extremely repetitive. There is always something new to learn in pvp. 

You hate being ganked, yet pvp server players defend the right to gank and be ganked, even though it happens all the time. They want their "freedom" so they won't rebuke the harm that a gank or be gank meta causes to people who just want to play a fun sailing game with good battles and pretty graphics, and an OW that justifies it's own existence through content which you otherwise wouldn't get from a lobby based or patrol circle FFA arena zone.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

there's serious deformities in pvp meta and it's a lack of solid conviction as to what an age of sail pvp conquest game is. Instead of focusing on conquest, realism, and balance we have patrol circles, no raids, blockades, no grand strategy type naval actions that go hand in hand with an over world. The mere fact that patrol zones exist how out of touch we are to what the game needs and doesn't need. PVP server died when the focus went to mods and loot over balance and conquest. Now it's a epeen fest for people who think adding mods to a ship, none of which have any downsides is a skill worthy of an age of sail setting.

Agree with this part. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

LOL, that's nonsense. .... Pve server players are very unlikely to play the game for a long time because it's extremely repetitive. 

That statemewnt is mere assumption and thus nonsense. We have a solid core of veterans active since 2016 (incl yours truly) with 3000+ hrs on PvE....

Right now its more the constant meta changes (aka patches) that make it non-repetetive. After release (i guess we get less patches and a more stable meta than) however, we need endgame content: Means voluntary PvP,  vanity stuff (ranking etc) and a return to quality ship crafting again (PvE is about what you have...)

Edited by Jan van Santen
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

No it wouldn't, there's serious deformities in pvp meta and it's a lack of solid conviction as to what an age of sail pvp conquest game is. Instead of focusing on conquest, realism, and balance we have patrol circles, no raids, blockades, no grand strategy type naval actions that go hand in hand with an over world. The mere fact that patrol zones exist how out of touch we are to what the game needs and doesn't need. PVP server died when the focus went to mods and loot over balance and conquest. Now it's a epeen fest for people who think adding mods to a ship, none of which have any downsides is a skill worthy of an age of sail setting.

You hate being ganked, yet pvp server players defend the right to gank and be ganked, even though it happens all the time. They want their "freedom" so they won't rebuke the harm that a gank or be gank meta causes to people who just want to play a fun sailing game with good battles and pretty graphics, and an OW that justifies it's own existence through content which you otherwise wouldn't get from a lobby based or patrol circle FFA arena zone.

Just cause I dislike something does not mean there should be some magical mechanic to stop it. Plenty of real life ships disliked fighting 2v1. Shit happens and that is part of the sandbox. 

40 minutes ago, Borch said:

It's actually the other way around if PvE server will get proper content instead of PvP server scraps.

The difference between the two is here:

- PvP may (and with current game state will at some point) run out of meaningfull content meaning people will start leaving the game due to lack of other players to compete against

- PvE will never run out of ships which are main Peace players content

Learning in PvP only happens up to certain point which most people cant overcome due to various reasons. In current NA when a player reaches this point the only reason for him to play is to get rare wood and to build new ship. At this moment PvP becomes PvE. You already had plenty of PvP'ers leaving the game due to that in the past including your clan mates.

Meanwhile people on Peace who since the very beginning focus on sailing beautifull ships, shooting their cannons, being happy getting new ship paint can do that for long before they will start being bored. They do not require huge work in developing game features due to fact that they wont abuse it in PvP scenario. In my opinion fixing few things like i mentioned here would guarantee PvE server pop increase.

It's actually shame that dev team is so heavily focused on PvP and they can't see that balancing and growing Peace is much easier than expanding War server. Meanwhile people who are switching to PvE or starting new game there are leaving to not ever come back due to cut content and features that are just a gathered and not working properly pieces of War server.

Growing Peace pop would guarantee GL funds in the long term to balance and expand their beloved War server.

Its quite easy to avoid players on the pvp server. The map is so huge and hunters are few. The odds of being ganked if you want to avoid it are slim to none. 

• Like 2

It's actually impossible for there to be more content on the pve server since pvp server has all the content pve servers have. Pve players are asking for port battles against ai on their server so apparently they lack content. 

56 minutes ago, PYR said:

There one thing that PVE has that PVP don't and will never have have without proper rules and game mechanic: it is a plaisant population of player having fun with each other. The population of player in the pvp server is full of acidity and salty talks that make this server a poor place for people that want to have a good time a few hours a day. I left the pvp server recently for that reason. I will give it another shot after the release, but if proper mechanic is not place to rule this server, then the PVE server is definitly the place to be to have fun.

Toxic behavior is part of mmos unfortunately. You can turn of global chat and disable communication with enemies in battles. Toxic behavior increases pvp in wars to and this is a fact. Gb and sweden wanted to have a war back when rediii was sweden and I gb. We never wanted to flip ports because without "hatred" towards another nation Noone wants to flip ports vs ai. Lord Vicious is probably the most hated player to ever play this game but we all know he provided the game with content. More content than anyone of us fools on the forums. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Borch said:

How is that impossible if in second sentence you are providing perfect example of content missing on PvE? Besides that PvE is only bits of PvP server gathered together with some of them missing. They dont work good together because they were never planned for PvE server in the first place.

My point was that pvp server has more content... 

6 hours ago, Jan van Santen said:

Right now its more the constant meta changes

What changes? Ai behavior is exactly the same for the last 4 years. The damage model does not change anything since players can have live oak with Carthagena and the ai not. 

20 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Casual playstyle? I have to tell our thousands-of-hours hardcore PvE Peace server captains how "casual" they are believed to play. :D

Casual as couple of hours for day or alittle during weekend.I simply do not have time to comit myself again as now i have real life things(job,...) to do.

thats why im asking plus in PvE is easier too get ships becouse they are not locked behind wall(combat medals,...) and i could actualy sail ships without the fear of gankers