Game-Labs Forum

POTBS

Zacaras

In the case of PotBS, I'd say the problem hasn't solely been detecting cheating, its been very inconsistent policies as to what sort of behaviors are allowed. And really lax enforcement even when people were caught cheating. They've waffled back and forth on econ-x-teaming at least three times, and it took a month-long forum revolt for FLS to acknowledge that using using alt accounts to sabotage RvR might have an adverse impact on the game. Hell, I don't think they ever even permabanned anyone over the months-long ship duping exploits, though they did slap temporary bans on a ton of people who had unknowingly bought duped ships via the AH... the general response to a new exploit was to compliment the exploiter for being clever, give infractions to anyone who complained about exploiting on the forums, and then ignore the issue until it hit such a critical mass that half a server had quit playing over it. I loved PotBS when I could get good fights, but I'm really amazed it survived as long as it has given the management.

I agree with Pnakotic.

The management and enforcement of the issue has always been squishy and it never was clear as to what their ground rules were.  It was clear to me that they didn't see it as a harmful element to the game.  I see it as the biggest issue harming the game.  "Gankers" have always been the scapegoats, but they were playing the game and giving the game its legitimate bad guys, for the rest of us to either run from or hunt down (they kept the red-zone dangerous- be you a veteran pvper or a new player).  Than you have the actual game-breakers that get a free pass.

X-teaming in any form (econ, rvr/pvp) bypasses the rules and intended challenges of a game.  It is too bad it got a free pass from Devs.  Even if impossible to eradicate, they could have been consistent in their stance, which would turn off most (not all) people tempted to do it.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

X-teaming in any form (econ, rvr/pvp) bypasses the rules and intended challenges of a game.  It is too bad it got a free pass from Devs.  Even if impossible to eradicate, they could have been consistent in their stance, which would turn off most (not all) people tempted to do it.  

They could have started with preventing trading between rival nations. That would tackle the econ side of it. No more Rat toons being used for Brit econ.

The second thing they could have done is make a rule against playing different nations on the same map. There goes your pvp xteaming.

Yeah, I read those dev blogs, and saw that they're piddling around with accuracy changes on their RPG diceroll cannons instead of taking this opportunity to actually rebuild and revitalize the game. And then the rest of their attention is taken up by ways of paid content.

No it is up-and-running. Create account and download from portalusgames.com.

I just hope they will give it new quality.

Nerfed frigates, brought back bundleboats as cash shop items that require random OS loot drops, nerfed accuracy and spikes, nerfed maneuvering... yep. There's been some changes to "quality" all right!

Potbs was awesome. My first MMO.

Those 7 days in January from beta till soft launch were most painful waiting experience in my life. 

wow that brings back memories was a rat in beta but went brit at launch

getting that waiting pain again   :)

Nerfed frigates, brought back bundleboats as cash shop items that require random OS loot drops, nerfed accuracy and spikes, nerfed maneuvering... yep. There's been some changes to "quality" all right!

Nerfing this, buffing that... this is not what I am talking about.

I wonder if they will include any significant changes to this game... new pvp system, new map areas (Europe?)...

Nerfing this, buffing that... this is not what I am talking about.

I wonder if they will include any significant changes to this game... new pvp system, new map areas (Europe?)...

With a team of three guys? Flailinglab couldn't manage that in four years with a team 10x the size...

Hey all!

New to this forum, all though I have been following NA since it was announced.

Allot of old and familiar names here :)  - as I am what I now would call a "former" Potbs player. Played since Beta, and ran with RSS and later HMS on Roberts. 

The same story here as with most of you - Loved Potbs in the good old days, and hate what it now has become  :(

I still find myself logging in from now and then, and also reading a little on Portalus' website.... but the magic is clearly gone, and I am hugely disappointed with Portalus. 

I guess I was one of those who just would not believe this was the end of once such a fantastic game...

I am however VERY excited to see how well NA is on the way, and really looking forward to play it when it becomes available.  :)

And as a response to some of the other here that have mentioned Hearts Of Oak - It is not a MMO. It is a single player RPG. 

We are looking into the possibility for maybe adding Multiplayer at a later stage, but it will probably not become a MMO - unless someone mods it for that purpose  ;)

With a team of three guys? Flailinglab couldn't manage that in four years with a team 10x the size...

It's not about number of people, but ideas and the way that game is going.

They killed this game by pushing it in wrong direction.

I wait for burningseas.com going on-line and definately I am going to give portalusgames a chance.

They could have started with preventing trading between rival nations. That would tackle the econ side of it. No more Rat toons being used for Brit econ.

The second thing they could have done is make a rule against playing different nations on the same map. There goes your pvp xteaming.

When PotBS launched, nations couln't trade each other, only use Auction Houses to buy items. Also, nations couldn't understand each-other in chat, unless they spent a talent point to earn diplomat.

And that was very good. I still wonder what they thinking when they changed it....

• Like 2

dino,

You will wait forever. The burningsea-page will never come back.

Everyone who knew the old gameplay will not come back only because of shiny new shit--ships, sry.

Portalus and FLS even earlier fucked everything up.

Before the stupid ship-revamp and "uh no magical skills"-removal the burning sea was a hell of a fun to be. numerous of OS pvp groups to fight with and even some RvR going on!.

After the crappatch most good OS grpups immediately gone off forever. Most players who are coming back dont stay for long.

If you are interested in another POTBS eara (I mean epic community and a really nice game) you may wait for NavalAction.The first few pvp fights I had were simply stunning. well okay its the typical testing thing with feature lacking but holy shit its going the right direction!

Stay tuned for this game!

Before the stupid ship-revamp and "uh no magical skills"-removal the burning sea was a hell of a fun to be. numerous of OS pvp groups to fight with and even some RvR going on!.

After the crappatch most good OS grpups immediately gone off forever. Most players who are coming back dont stay for long.

Before 2.11 I think...

Anyway, you reminded me some great moments and fun we had those days.

The good thing is that I see many familiars "foe's and friends" in here, so i guess we meet once again soon.

• Like 1

I think the first wave of loosing players was as they was charged to close all the other Servers. As i know most of the German Players left the Game and never returnt.

We moved to Antigua and after they removed the 1st and 2nd rates we lost the next wave of playes. Now they bring back the big rated ships, but every Career can sail a Ship of the Line.

They was NO only and it was right. I allways played a Privateer most the time and i loved my Herc MC, but now she has lost all of her Glory :-(.

Also the retreat from Sony and i have not the Chance to get back my old Account, but it is a Love-Hate situation, because PotbS is the only playable AOS MMO i know.

regards

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

POTBS was a game I got really hooked on. My first MMO was SWG, where I had a decent industry creating spaceships and components.

Now SWG, that really was a good game. Was absolutely pumped for SWTOR until I played it and found that space combat was a rail shooter -_-. Yeah I had the same though, played SWG, wandered around EVE for a little bit which I inevitably do and then came over to PotBS for the beta testing. It was really good and hopeful at the start but playing from Australia as I'm sure some people can understand the pop was at most times a little low and underwhelming :\. Otherwise it was a great game, rocking around with VDD on the Aussie server before it got canned and then after that I couldn't really get back into it.

As for NA, anything that brings me closer to realism is in my opinion a better game for it. If it is hard because "that's what it was like back then" then I am all over that, fan-girling until my hair turns bright pink and my legs become hairless.

I think my favourite post-PotBS experience was reading the forums, my oh my. More trolls than Skyrim and more flaming going on than the fire dept. could handle.

• Like 1