Game-Labs Forum

POTBS

Zacaras

Hey Plerrick, that text was lovely :')

I too should have let my account die with FLS, but I made myself even more sad, with false hopes of a good Potbs in the future.

The age of Potbs (2008-2014) is over, there are other sailing games being developed, such as Wind of Luck, Naval Action and Hearts of Oak, from Pirates Ahoy. All these games are more recent, with more features and the world more dynamic!

I really cannot wait for Naval Action :P

I'm afraid you guys are right.

PotBS had a good chance at making a comeback last year when Portalus took over.

Lots of talk and plans from Portalus and anticipation from the players, a lot of old vets were thinking of coming back along with the new players.

But a rocky start, very slow progess with everything and then that sudden server shutdown for 10 days in September/October plus the PotBS website and forums are still down.

The reality has sunk in that this is the same guys as before with FLS when they nearly killed the game in late 2012 and nothing has changed except now they have fewer resources and staff.

The comunication from Portalus has been terrible, most of it is meaningless or not true anyways.

The few patches they have released recently are only about bringing in more cash for themselves...........they erase comments on their website if players ask relevant questions about the problems or accurately criticise Portalus and have even artificially locked in the server population indicator to that it appears there's a lot higher pop's on the server's than what's really the case.

Portalus are for the most part not honest with their customers......the players.

A couple months ago I said Portlaus would be done by the end of February, but then I also figured out they only work part time on PotBS so their overhead is very low.

So we'll see.

The demise of PotBS will likely coincide with the launch of Naval Action.

Naval Action couldn't come too soon.

not to mention, their "TY" gifts for putting up with the their slow progress are small meaningless ships or avcom items only good for low levels.

And they are Nazis when it comes to policing against actions that offends them but care less about very disruptive players that offend everyone else. I am convinced that the could absolutely care less about their customer base and for that reason I have pledged to never pay them for anything.

For Naval Action, I would give money now, up front to help with game development because they have been open and honest, have participated in forums consistently and seem to have a player focused vision, not to mention a game that looks fantastic

Ya know I watched the Hearts of Oak trailer and it looks pretty neat. Although they only show screen shots, it looks pretty good. It would be pretty interesting if that panned out because it appears to be completely made by moders. I'm wondering  if it will be free.

Ya know I watched the Hearts of Oak trailer and it looks pretty neat. Although they only show screen shots, it looks pretty good. It would be pretty interesting if that panned out because it appears to be completely made by moders. I'm wondering  if it will be free.

I saw two videos about Hearts of Oak, they showed the ship's reaction to wind, and the ship actually went backwards upwind!

I tried to find it, but with no sucess :/

Heh, that was what I was looking for indeed!

Nice buddy!

So Cjflint, as you can see, the ships behave way more realistically than any other game we've seen so far. Not sure about Naval Action since I haven't tested it nor watched a gameplay video.

Bungee thanks for finding that.

Looks like some neat concepts. I watched the sail animation one and the cannon video.....Pretty cool. Looks like it will have allot of detail

We have seen modders pull off some amazing stuff in shyrim, arma, silent hunter ect ect. Then there's the Day Z story which started off as a super mod for arma, then stand alone. Would not surprise me if they pulled it off, these days ya never know. Hope fully it will be free....ha ha. Knowing my luck 60 bucks with 10 dollar a pop DLCs a cough cough

Yea it looks pretty good and they seem to be paying a lot of attention to the details.

But most of the work is done by volunteers isn't it ?

And they are still in the early stages of development and it looks like there will be several stages before it's a complete, balanced game.........this will likely be years in development.

The first gaming company that goes live with a solid, full fledged alternative to PotBS will win the race. 

And right now it looks like it will be Naval Action.

Yea it looks pretty good and they seem to be paying a lot of attention to the details.

But most of the work is done by volunteers isn't it ?

And they are still in the early stages of development and it looks like there will be several stages before it's a complete, balanced game.........this will likely be years in development.

The first gaming company that goes live with a solid, full fledged alternative to PotBS will win the race. 

And right now it looks like it will be Naval Action.

Well right now I think there is Naval Action and WOL that are the next multi player age of sail game. That I know of anyhow.

With that said, other then Naval Action being a age of sail multi player game in development. I do not think it will follow the same style and template as potbs by any means by the sounds of it here on the forums. Its more the likely going to be more realistic, with not to much of the Disney style fantasy pirate sort of some what fiction somewhat none fiction we saw with POTBS. But who knows its all speculation, seeing its still early on.

Hearts of Oak I'm havn't read enough to see if it is going to be multi player. Maybe it will. Im pretty sure it is being made by modders unpaided with the Cry engine. The thing to consider is a multi player game I'm pretty sure requires some pretty big servers, which costs serous money. So if it is they will need to fund it some how. Maybe I'm wrong and there's easier way now days. But If you take a look at Day Z, and look at the success they had taking a Arma 2 super mod and making a stand alone. I would not think it would be impossible to make Hearts of Oak multi player. So who knows!

So this day and age I think more and more is becoming a reality in gaming, which is really cool!

• Like 1

Cjflint, Oneironz

Are you guys promoting our Naval Action game on the Piratesahoy (Hearts of Oak) forums with the same zeal? 

Ya know...I never made an account on Piratesahoy, only down loaded content for Age of Pirates 2 from there lol But I could :)

Ahoy everyone! 

This game has me very exited. It has so much potential considering the staggering detail going into it. PotBs has always had a place in my heart: my first MMO I really got addicted to, but with the recent drop in population and the apparent absence of the Developers, I must say that it will take little encouragement to have me jump ship to this Game.

Considering that the PotBS community doesn't even have a forum to communicate with at the moment, I can say that I have been and will continue to promote this game to my society members; The collective leadership of my society is eager to move as much of our members here upon the game's launch. 

I hope to spend more time in the forum reading what updates there are and throwing out my suggestions when I see the need to do so.

Fair seas and swift winds to you all!

• Like 2

That's just crazy...........the only forums where you can talk about PotBS is in Naval Action.

Well that, and the fan-based forum Ice made. Common thing for both is the absense of potbs forum moderators, I think that's what does it. Maybe potbs forums were a bit rough from time to time, but I also thing the mods were a bit trigger happy.

That's just crazy...........the only forums where you can talk about PotBS is in Naval Action.

To quote Hovis:  This post wins the internet.

Imperial Shipyards have landed on the Naval Action forums, and we're getting the band back together.  If the admins can kindly point out how we can help spread the word about this game, don't hesitate to reply.  We want this game to have a rockin' community!  I've put out word to as many ex-POTBS players as I could, and to a man they are all incredibly excited about this game.

Take our monies now, please.

Hang on... this can't be the old PotBS community... There's no flaming going on!

Anyway, how did I not hear about this game til now? I've been looking for another Age of Sail MMO since PotBS started going downhill when it went F2P (bracing for abuse)... Definitely be great to get as much of the old guard back together as possible (along with as many new faces as possible)

ISY is coming back (again)... let it begin!

-Wildfire

I couldn't even get my account to migrate when PotBS went to Portalus.

I'm mildly curious to see where it's at, it looked sort of like they were trying to somehow hammer out some of the power creep and weirdness, but at the same time it really looked like classes were getting pigeonholed without a lot of regard for balance. But... after 4 years of highhopes and dashed expectations, I don't really have much heart to.

Plus Fodderboy sorta cheesed me off by permabanning me from the forums on three accounts for pointing out why bad game changes were bad around the time they were ramming 2.14 down our throats.