Game-Labs Forum

Exploration of the Open World

I've recently come back to the game after an absence of 18 months. I've been playing on PVE because I only want to do the PVP grind once (waiting for release). I must say I'm blown away at how good the new UI looks and I am impressed with how smoothly everything works. I trust the developers to provide some final tweaks to the combat and trading models and the game will be ready, except for one last missing piece to put the game over the top - Exploration of the Open World. The game is incredible from so many standpoints, especially the open world the developers have built.

So here's what I recommend for Exploration:

The free camera works in the OW. Essentially you can anchor near a port or an island, and send an exploration party or a group of spies (via the free camera) from your ship into the nearby hills or port and watch enemy ships come and go. This feature could be harnessed by the devs in our gameplay content. We could be assigned OW Exploration missions:

• drop off spies or soldiers in enemy ports - raise national hostility
  •  pick up spies
  •  find caches of weapons or loot or buried treasure in the port or on deserted islands
  •  find shipwrecked sailors
  •  establish lookouts and outposts
  •  find new sites for mines
  •  find new species of animals or vegetation
  •  obtain secret orders or maps

The options are endless. The modeling of the ports and vegetation is adequate for all types of new OW game content. The OW pickup mechanic itself could work much like the Sealed Bottle mechanic. One other idea is to seed these missions in the OW so people can randomly search them out without being assigned a mission - make them hard to find - sailors like a challenge. This idea is just as important for PVP players since it entices more people and potential targets into the OW.

Mission Example - "Anchor next to the island just south of Las Tortugas. Send a party to the top of the hill - pick up the secret map. Take the map to the port of Bahia Honda and deliver the map to the back room in the beach shack with hanging fish in front. Payment - Reals and Exploration Credit.  

Thank you Devs for this great game - looking forward to its future.

• Like 10