Game-Labs Forum

Weather effects (rain, thunderstorms) - only by choice

I disagree.. As long as we have the perk for GPS position or access to coordinates can use use those to navigate through storms. And OW needs changes or it becomes just too boring.

Nothing beats stumbling upon an enemy fleet in heavy fog/storm! It's just epic xD

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Admiral Olsen said:

I'd like to see an option to choose, what I prefer: Good weather all the time (standard) or realistic weather effects, like rain and thunderstorms (optional).

Unfortunately this would quickly become an unbalanced mechanic when it comes to PVP.
To be clear, this is not possible since the entire game is calculated and handled server-side; but in the hypothetical situation that it was possible, we'd have to account for the fact that 
A.) Not all players will be hindered by the storm if their preference is not to see it;
and B.) Those who have chosen to disable inclement weather will have an advantage in every area when there is a weather effect.

• Like 1

At least they can make stormy weathers shorter, sometimes takes too long. 

2 times we are in hispaniola patrol, stormy weather took to long to clear. I would be happy if storm system travels faster, duration to be maximum 1 game day. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kopelent said:

DEV`s told us  (Waves, Fog or other stuff) will never come to naval Action

Weatherengine is extremely bad in the game. (no variety)

no Server Resources !!! (LOL) We life near in 2020

We had amazing storms and rough seas a couple years ago...would love to have those back :(

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Admiral Olsen said:

I've spent the last 3 hours in a thunderstorm and wasted my time with no visibility.

I'd like to see an option to choose, what I prefer: Good weather all the time (standard) or realistic weather effects, like rain and thunderstorms (optional).

you want to choose the OW weather for yourself? Wat? Tahts a Gameplayfeature... I ve sneaked by Christanstead coming from Fort Baai several times just because of the bad weather.

Or i have chatched a Player because he coudnt aviod me because he saw me to late. Also got sunk this way.

Its a must in this game!

• Like 4

As I see, weather-effects are a tactical thing, loved and used by PVP-captains on PVP-server...

For me, as a trader on PVE, it's only useless and annoying.

Sadly, it can't be an option, as I read here and I (and other traders) have to deal with it.

Okay ... 🙄

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Ambivalence....Hunters hate the bad weather because it reduces vis.  Traders love the bad weather because it reduces vis.  We cant win the argument, so leave it....

...on PVP!

You see, I can, from my point of view.

As a trader on PVE-server I enjoy the beautiful views and magnificently enemy warships, without any fear, to be pulled into fight, what I'd really much dislike...

5 minutes ago, Admiral Olsen said:

...on PVP!

You see, I can, from my point of view.

As a trader on PVE-server I enjoy the beautiful views and magnificently enemy warships, without any fear, to be pulled into fight, what I'd really much dislike...

But even on PVE you hunt traders.  They deserve the cover of a storm and you must accept the challenge of hunting in poor weather. 

I have asked in general feedback and have no answers, only a few thumbs up. I would really love to hear what's the point of storms in areas of interest such as patrol or shipwreck areas.

It adds no challenge that engages any sort of skill, no challenge you can do something about, it's pure luck based, and it can lead to a player wasting 1h30 circling around and finding nothing. It may have sense on PvP... But on PvE it simply has no reason to exist. If you are aiming for player engagement of course. I'd love to have @admin's view on this...

• Like 1

Storms (and variable weather in general) are great. And weather should absolutely be the same for everybody.

But I agree that some storms in this game last way too long, and that can get really tedious (and especially frustrating for those of us who only have a limited window of time to play each day). Nothing wrong with shorter storms though, even if they are more frequent.

Also, it would be fun if storms had some other significance to the game in addition to just visibility. One option might be to increase the odds of picking up a sealed bottle during bad weather. Or, even better, a storm could drop random shipwrecks into the open world that everyone can stumble across and loot for a certain period during/after each storm - like "rumors of a large fleet" style but more spread out (over the whole map or by regions or whatever).

Even negative consequences of weather could add some fun to gameplay. For example, bad weather in the open world could cause a % damage to sails or cargo (flooding?). During a battle instance too storms could cause random damage to sails, or create much bigger waves or extreme/sudden wind gusts and/or direction changes. Aything would be better than nothing.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 20:56, Admiral Olsen said:

J'ai passé les 3 dernières heures dans un orage et perdu mon temps sans visibilité.

Je voudrais voir une option à choisir, ce que je préfère: Beau temps tout le temps (standard) ou effets météo réalistes, comme la pluie et les orages (facultatif).

Bonjour, je ne savais pas que tu pouvais commander le temps à volonté... Parles en aux écologistes et à la cop21... Amicalement. Marquis de La Fayette

Couldn't disagree more with OP. Weather should have even more influence e.g. ship damage if not circumnavigated. It would give PVP and PVE more challenges during combat, and a need for better planning your trading routs.  I would call that additional "content" (esp. for PVE)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 7:56 PM, Admiral Olsen said:

I've spent the last 3 hours in a thunderstorm and wasted my time with no visibility.

I'd like to see an overall improvement of the weather and climatic appearance, to reflect the real world Caribbean. Problem solved.