Game-Labs Forum

Manage ports AND save time - coming soon

@van der Decken

you make a good point.

they could do with normal resources at these port "upgrades" what they are doing with rare woods/resources right now. you would exchange doubloons for some stone, or oak, or coal. and there would be a Supply you take from. when that supply runs out you'd have to upgrade again.

• Like 1

Everything sounds really good and interesting.

For PVE-Server:

19 hours ago, admin said:

For PVE server we plan to convert the map to the historical map allowing access to all ports and allowing capture through economy sabotage (without changing nations) giving partial access of this feature even on the PVE server.

We should not call it "CAPTURE" here, but call it "PRIVILEGES". Several clans should be able to have these privileges in one and the same port parallel to each other. So that no direct conflicts with other clans with the same interests occurs.

As compensation for the non-existent competition, these could only be granted for a limited time and would have to be renewed after a certain period of time. This process of renewal should already be possible while the privileges are still running, so that these periods can be interleaved without interruptions.

Regarding economic sabotage/trade war on PvE Peace Server:

Main problem is the uneven distribution of potential here. We have by far the most people in British nation, because new players are told they have it easier there. I don't have numbers, but I think from game experience Pirates are the next in numbers, then a large gap and following France, Spain, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, then again a large gap and what's left are a few Russian, Prussian, Poles with no admiralties.

Whatever the solution will be for PvE server, it has to take into account that striking difference in numbers, or else we simply get an unshakable "Rule Britannia" for ever.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

9 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Main problem is the uneven distribution of potential here. We have by far the most people in British nation, because new players are told they have it easier there. I don't have numbers, but I think from game experience Pirates are the next in numbers, then a large gap and following France, Spain, Denmark, Netherlands, Sweden, then again a large gap and what's left are a few Russian, Prussian, Poles with no admiralties.

Whatever the solution will be for PvE server, it has to take into account that striking difference in numbers, or else we simply get an unshakable "Rule Britannia" for ever.

On the PvE Peace Server, I guess the best solution would be that economic warfare gives advantages to human players who win it against bots but without penalizing the human ennemies, a bit like in Sid Meier's Pirates when you attacked a city, won and got a ransom form it. IIRC, in Sid M's Pirates, the city kept her nationality but became poorer. One could imagine in NA that human players in that city could still craft, product, etc. as before. 

Human players blockade an enemy port, killing all AI traders trying to enter. After a while, they get a kind of reward/ransom from the enemy homeland. The city keeps her nationality. And during this period, the human players in this city live their lives, not affected by this warfare.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Hope this comes with an hostility rework as i refuse to take part of it as it is.

When the game is wipe and you start over your going to need that XP for leveling up and fastest way to do that is killing AI.   So folks need to get it out of there head that the game is PvP only.  Your going have to kill AI once in a while. Even better if you get PvP while doing it cause that gives you even more points.  Which is why I think it's silly that some of the folks bitching so much about lack of PvP won't go flip ports of the main clans that will come out and fight....to me they just want fights on their terms only....you want PvP go flip a major econ port and I bet you will get PvP.  RvR is actually PvP.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

When the game is wipe and you start over your going to need that XP for leveling up and fastest way to do that is killing AI.   So folks need to get it out of there head that the game is PvP only.  Your going have to kill AI once in a while. Even better if you get PvP while doing it cause that gives you even more points.  Which is why I think it's silly that some of the folks bitching so much about lack of PvP won't go flip ports of the main clans that will come out and fight....to me they just want fights on their terms only....you want PvP go flip a major econ port and I bet you will get PvP.  RvR is actually PvP.

I agree with you, but I also would argue that current Hostility is a larger time sink then it really should be.

I feel that 10 people should reasonably be able to flip any port within an hour. but it shouldn't be more than 2 hours.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

I agree with you, but I also would argue that current Hostility is a larger time sink then it really should be.

I feel that 10 people should reasonably be able to flip any port within an hour. but it shouldn't be more than 2 hours.

The other problem is one PvP kill can set you back almost completely.  We had 96% agro on a port and some one got killed and it pushed us back to 30 something.  Every one gave up on the port and ported in and logged off.  I agree there are issues that need to be looked at with the agro system.  US hardly gets a port flipped cause our missions will get jumped by French, Prussian and, Pirates and most the time it's the nations we aren't doing agro on.  So sinking the other teams ships does nothing for agro. I think if some one joins a missions it should effect the agro or they shouldn't be allowed to join at all.  Kinda half wish we can bring back war supllies but make them a one time pop and you can't just keep dropping them. Have it go to 50% once and that is it.  Or other means like POTBS had where you can drop goods against or for a port, but they more effective control points and such in the battle than hostility.

@admin

excellent, there is a light in the darkness.

it's a lighthouse  :)

when the update sees the light........ it burns in the evening.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Who said i am against pve ? i am simply against the format of hostility missions, it's a pain in the ***, totally artificial,  hostility % don't update equally for all, it's all about gank outside hostility battles or screening any attempt of defense.

Organized nations can insta flip by ending 4 for them at the same time so no one can ever know flip started,

defending team with alts can bring them around to sink them and lower the hostility via fake pvp,

At the end it's the same as for the port battles, it's all about getting more active population in first rate to screen any attempt of opposition..

I wasn't even talking about the terribad conquest phase post-wipe when no one will have 1st rates vs neutral & undefended port with whole noob population turning civil war to be allowed to enter useless autowin pb, with everyone going crazy for conquest marks, then leave the game out of boredom, salt or rage, if not simply reroll in the winning nation.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec

14 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

So folks need to get it out of there head that the game is PvP only

We keep a beautiful dream alive in the face of adversities!

14 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

to me they just want fights on their terms only.

It's only natural people want to avoid humping bots to pay for their fun. Ganking and pvp aversion is proof very few people actually like PvE. A lot of people pretend it's great but I can't explain why.

12 minutes ago, Meraun said:

@admin Will we be able to Build Fortifications anywhere on Land ?  So we can build savezones for our Traders along a Coastline for example? 

I hope so too,although I doubt it I think we will probably get the opportunity to place them in existing slots already available, fingers are still crossed though.

Also as a long shot manning cannon towers maybe a bridge to far but would it be possible to have a mortar tower I mean figuratively it’s just a mortar brig that’s stationary right?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jodgi said:

A lot of people pretend it's great but I can't explain why.

A lot of people pretend pvp is great when its mostly overganks, 1 minute demasting and long drawn out chases. At least the AI takes all comers and you can find PVE just about anywhere.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

On 3/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

for PVE server nationality of port wont change - clan control will. (but this idea is tentative and might not get in)
short description

• Example
    • Port is british (but all nations can access it)
    • Port grants bonuses to clan controlling it
    • Other clans(even other nations) can take economic control away from controlling clan by doing sabotage.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, admin said:

for PVE server nationality of port wont change - clan control will. (but this idea is tentative and might not get in)
short description

• Example
    • Other clans(even other nations) can take economic control away from controlling clan by doing sabotage.

That's indirect PvP in a way, if you see what I mean (you indirectly attack other human player's interests by attacking his bots). I for one am not sure it matches the philosophy of the Peace server. I'd prefer to see global attacks of bots giving advantages to the attackers without hurting other human player gameplay. Like in this example Human players blockade an enemy port, killing all AI traders trying to enter. After a while, they get a kind of reward/ransom from the enemy homeland. The city keeps her nationality. And during this period, the human players in this city live their lives, not affected by this warfare.

But it is just my opinion.

However, I really like the fact NA devs try and find ways to add content to the PvE server.

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

That's indirect PvP in a way, if you see what I mean (you indirectly attack other human player's interests by attacking his bots). I for one am not sure it matches the philosophy of the Peace server.

Thats my opinion too.

It can be solved if several clans can have boni in a port at the same time and no block the interests of other players, if they reach them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

@LeBoiteux would you call overbidding and undercutting on the market PvE Server indirect PvP as well? Sort of economic war between the players... 

Why don't we just make the whole map single player for them.  I mean lets not interact with other players.  There is what 300 something ports on a the map. Having one port owned by a clan isn't going to effect players if they can go use any of the other ports still.   It doesn't effect other players cause any one can still use the port.  I swear these PvE guys just want nothing fun to encourage more players.   I personally would be more interest if they where Port Battles against AI and you just keep the map.

Other MMO's have it where you do enough points you take control of complete section of maps for your factions.  You get points by killing AI and this i pretty much what they are talking about.  There is zero PvP when your fighting bots/AI.

Player(s) versus player(s), better known as PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants. This is in contrast to games where players compete against computer-controlled opponents and/orplayers, which is referred to as player versus environment (PvE).

2 hours ago, admin said:

short description

• Example

I really don't get this?  Why does every one have to have the cookies too?  You can still have faction play and none PvP.  Let them do PB's as if it's against Neutral ports and resest the map every 3 months.  That will give folks/clans stuff to do and purpose.  Right now with every one using every port there is no purpose on that server.   

Either way I would be willing to go over and test even the concept ya'll have so far, any content for players is better than almost zero content on that server.  If you actually give players more content and things to do but leave out PvP I bet you the numbers are going to grow big time cause folks want content and some might just give up PvP for a more relaxed server cause they don't want to play full hard core mode, but they want content and things to do and purpose.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Why don't we just make the whole map single player for them.  I mean lets not interact with other players.  There is what 300 something ports on a the map. Having one port owned by a clan isn't going to effect players if they can go use any of the other ports still.   It doesn't effect other players cause any one can still use the port.  I swear these PvE guys just want nothing fun to encourage more players.   I personally would be more interest if they where Port Battles against AI and you just keep the map.

Other MMO's have it where you do enough points you take control of complete section of maps for your factions.  You get points by killing AI and this i pretty much what they are talking about.  There is zero PvP when your fighting bots/AI.

Yeah, you could allow every nation to take a certain portion of the map.  That would give the nations without Admiralty a home port also.  But what happens when they get their quota?  Monthly wipes?

11 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Why does every one have to have the cookies too? 

because cookies good yummy ! you must share with nice lttile friends the cookies ! and too many cookies make you fat.

Edited by LeBoiteux

8 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, you could allow every nation to take a certain portion of the map.  That would give the nations without Admiralty a home port also.  But what happens when they get their quota?  Monthly wipes?

There is nothing wrong with wipes of ports.  It's not like you loose anything, you want to retake that port just attack it again and flip it.  I would do them every three months to let folks play and enjoy those ports owner ship.  If they want to take another port they can, it's who every flips the port first gets ownership.  Ownership doesn't mean any thing to others cause they can still use the port, they just don't get the tax's and ability to control that port.

Honestly the three nations without admiralty should not be on the PvE server, but like you said it could give them a chance to own a ports and use the admiralty shop in there clan owned ports.  Others of the same nation could use that port too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

because cookies good yummy ! you must share with nice friends the cookies ! and too many cookies makes you fat.

And with that doesn't it means you shouldn't have all the cookies, it's bad cause it will make you  fat.  Thus cookies should be spread out to every one to be fair? 

To be honest if it was up to me I would make the map historically correct and if you want to use Spanish ports you make a Spanish char or you go with a trade ship (contracts still open to all).  This all ports neutral is just a lazy tropheys for all mentality and gives no one real purpose on the server.  You can still have faction vs factions play without PvP.  Many MMO's do it.  That is what makes them stay popular is cause you have something to do a and goal in game. 

• Like 1