Game-Labs Forum

change firemode

4 hours ago, Beeekonda said:

But where is the Random Firemode?

Nice drawing btw

Different option from the original question.

You have one selection for Range and one for Order of fire. 

Random is part of Bow, Stern, Random selection which is for where to begin firing from (bow to stern, stern to bow, or random)

The other selection (Distance) is 100 meters, 250 meters, Parallel, and Waterline. Which is for where the shots converge.

13 hours ago, Teutonic said:

A. Parallel

B. Convergence waterline

20190308_171046.jpg

I would add that its not waterline. but literally water.
Balls converge into one point when they graze (Hit) water.   

• So if you use water convergence -
    • if you aim high - they will fly and then converge at the point where they hit water at the distance
    • if you aim low - they will converge right on water in front of you (depending on cannon angles and ship lengths)
  • When using meter convergence (like 100m) then balls always converge at 100m irrespective where you aim vertically  
  • Convergence water allows you to move the convergence point closer or farther away from your ship by changing vertical angle of your guns (they will converge when they fall into water)
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, Beeekonda said:

But where is the Random Firemode?

Nice drawing btw

While I don't know who much of this is true, but from many times using it for such it seems to get better results.  Random fire doesn't fire in an order from Stern to Bow or Bow to Stern.  What I found it's good for is when your broad side to broad side with another ship you switch to random and it spreads the damage out over the ship.  Thus getting more chance to hit multi hit box's (crew, cannons, other things) and get more crits.  I use it when I'm about to board and getting crew down (need to try it now we can fire in boarding but not sure you can change that part).   If I'm not planing to board I'll do it also cause of the cannon crit hits takes cannons out on that broad side of ship.  

Other wise just stick to Bow to Stern and Stern to Bow fire.

• Like 1

Glad we are discussing this...it is really important to make make the aiming controls 'crystal clear' and less frustrating.  Ultimately we have to simplify this.  This aiming control is basically setting the focal distance to a fixed number (100m, 250m, Max. cannonball distance, infinity).  How did we end up with these 4 choices (arbitrary)?  Can we eliminate some confusion and just call it 'focal distance' ?  Can we give more choices for 'focal distance' ?

1 hour ago, admin said:

If you aim low - they will converge right on water in front of you (depending on cannon angles and ship lengths) 

So we see what a struggle it is to define...lol.  I don't think the focal distance changes when you aim high or low with convergence selected...it stays fixed.  The focal distance as you describe here seems true:

1 hour ago, admin said:

if you aim high - they will fly and then converge at the point where they hit water at the distance

Perhaps the 'convergence' focal distance can be defined as the the maximum distance the selected cannon will fire.  Each deck may have different cannons and therefore different maximum firing distances (perhaps this is happening now).  So I still don't really know how to technically define the convergence selection.

Would it be simpler to make the focal distance (convergence point) variable from the minimum (controlled by the maximum horizontal cannon angle) to the maximum of infinity.  I would bind that control to my mouse wheel.  Then I would be able to tighten my aim at any distance making aiming less frustrating. 

Anyone else like the idea of a 'more' variable focal distance?

Edited by SS Minnow