Game-Labs Forum

'Barfleur' British 2nd rate, 90 Guns (With Plans)

Ned Loe

I'm currently talking to them with regards to getting it implemented. So perhaps it will happen (I do hope so). Question is would you rather see the original 90 gun ship or the refit to 98 guns? Perhaps we could start off with the 90 gun version and then the mechanics of the game would allow guns to be added to the quarterdeck to make it its latter 98.

• Like 1

The HMS Barfleur is a stunning ship and I really hope we will see it ingame at one point, but like Admin said we already have a good line up to finish first in which I believe the 90 gun Christian VII. is included (considering they specifically asked for a 2nd rate and the fact that the Christian VII. is our highest voted 2nd rate)

Agreed although HMS Barfleur was not included in the voting. That being said variety is required with regards to implementing ships from different nations so I shall just stay my course and shall await when it is decided to bring the Barfleur into the game no matter how long that shall be I'm sure she shall be seen in the end.

Found some interesting info connecting HMS Britannia with HMS Barfleur:

The ship was renamed on 6 January 1810 as HMS Princess Royal, then on 18 January 1812 as HMS St George and once more on 2 June 1819 as HMS Barfleur.

24-britannia_007-376-1202672941.jpg

24-britannia_006-375-1202672910.jpg

24-britannia_005-374-1201307607.jpg

Britannia1762NMM.jpg

HMS Britannia was a 100-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy. She was ordered on 25 April 1751 from Portsmouth Dockyard to the draught specified in the 1745 Establishment.[1] Her keel was laid down on 1 July 1751 and she was launched on 19 October 1762. The cost of building and fitting totalled £45,844/2s/8d. Her main gundeck armament of twenty-eight 42-pounder guns was later replaced by 32-pounders. In the 1790s ten of her quarterdeck guns and two of her forecastle guns were replaced by the same number of 32-pounder carronades.

Britannia was first commissioned in September 1778, and saw service during the War of American Independence. From 1793–1795 she was the flagship of Vice-Admiral Hotham. She fought at the Battle of Cape St Vincent and at the Battle of Trafalgar, where she carried the flag of Rear-Admiral of the White William Carnegie, Earl of Northesk. She lost 10 men killed and 42 wounded at Trafalgar, and following that battle she was laid up in ordinary in the Hamoaze at Plymouth in 1806.

The ship was renamed on 6 January 1810 as HMS Princess Royal, then on 18 January 1812 as HMS St George and once more on 2 June 1819 as HMS Barfleur.[1]

She was third of seven ships to bear the name Britannia, and was broken up at Plymouth in February 1825.

This is nice but I would rather see the original HMS Barfleur of 1768 or its 1780 upgrade to more guns being added on the quarterdeck. HMS Britannia was renamed to Barfleur once the original had been broken up the same year 1819.

Nevertheless an interesting find Wind.

• 4 months later...

I just wish to bring this topic back. Before everyone gets defensive and says that there should not be another British ship I have already offered to donate towards this one and merely put it forward as she is a true second rate. Not many nations built second rates and truth be told it was due to them not being fantastic as they were not as powerful as a first rate and not as manoeuvrable as a third. Their main strength was the added gun deck to impose upon the enemy or for boarding (defensive and offensive) and the fact that the enemy mistook them for firsts. Plus they were cheaper than firsts.