Game-Labs Forum

Ship models anyone?

Aracno

• 2 months later...

i am giving up my HMS Prince 1670 model kit.

sended it to some friend to help me out be i am now left with more work on fixing the existing progress than moving forward that i lost intresst in her.

if no one wants her i send her straight into the oven.

57 minutes ago, Mirones said:

i am giving up my HMS Prince 1670 model kit.

sended it to some friend to help me out be i am now left with more work on fixing the existing progress than moving forward that i lost intresst in her.

if no one wants her i send her straight into the oven.

Please send me the file. I will take a look at it. Don't destroy it. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Model of Fama class Fregata Grossa (1794/1983)

I have already posted this to the ship thread itself but I figured that it might also be of interest here too, mainly due to the detail of the model. Apologies to those who have already seen it but I thought it might get seen by a couple more people who might appreciate it for the incredible man hours involved in creating such an intricate model. :)

the model is a reconstruction of a now fairly sad looking original from 1794 that was constructed to coincide with the launch of Gloria Veneta, the 2nd ship of the class. Interestingly the model wasn't taken back to Paris alongside many other historical maritime resources that were looted after the fall of the republic in 1797 but stayed as part of the Arsenal collection, likely so as Le Beyrand and Stengel could be completed properly. Following the Treaty of Campo Forno Venice came under Austrian hands and the model was then at some point taken back to Vienna in Austria and studied alongside the other Venetian resources as part of the real starting point for Austria's ability to field a worthwhile navy due to their territorial gains along the Italian coastline.

The reproduction of the model has been lovingly made from scratch, starting in 1983 by Dr. Karl Klaus Korner taking measurements from the original models and the plans available in the Austrian Archives and the Austrian Military Museum, thankfully for us he has presented his work in a fantastic book that not only goes into great detail on the model but also has some great resources on the legacy of the Venetian navy through its Austrian phoenix. The model is now proudly on display in the Austrian Military Museum in Vienna in the naval section for anyone to view, you can even catch a slight glimpse of it on the virtual tour of the museum (Here)

Here are the pictures, apologies for any graininess or page bending, I have done the best I can for you all to see. Please note that she is however missing her sternmost guns on the weatherdeck, although the model does beautifully show the positioning of her chasers.

yGX45L2.jpg

hTXDb2G.jpg

5L8yFOK.jpg

RMIJs1j.jpg

y2umudk.jpg

3M06c9O.jpg

fzaFYLQ.jpg

LzwbYcs.jpg

Ch58oya.jpg

The Full thread is available here:

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i buyed last year a kit of the USS America by Revel not sure when i trow it into the bin..

its beyond me how someone can release and sell 'Prototype' models where nothing fits together.

i might go for a wooden kit of a Shooner next Fall/Winter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hull frames completed and decks in progress.

Soleil_Royal-2.thumb.JPG.462e31123ffb789066263e1e5d05939c.JPG

I have faced a puzzling problem at this stage though. The assembly guide demands to open holes in deck plankings fitting eptembers. It seems very strange as if the frames are to be extended above the decks they should be better formed in single part, and if not the planking should be better left solid.
Probably I need keep waiting what will happen 🛠️

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been working on a Vasa, honestly one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen in my life. It's an airfix quality of model, very cheap plastic and lacking a lot of detail, but a friend bought my it as a gift when I was feeling down and I'd feel bad for just leaving it. May try to finish it, at some point.