Game-Labs Forum

How to eliminate seal clubbing.

Ahhhhh, the old seal clubbing topic. The seal clubbed and the seal clubbers. If a new player joins a PVP based combat game and thinks he will always get a fair game he is not remembering one small point... that all these other players have been playing for years now and have big ships, or at least know what they are doing, part of learning in games like this is being forced to learn how to survive, when to run, when to fight, even repair timing comes with time and experience. It is easier to unravel an NPC engine than the super computer that exists in our own heads. PVP exercises the creative juices of our minds, we try to undo each other, countering always and trying to gain an advantage in combat. 

If a player comes to a combat game, and thinks all will be peace, and even fights he is wrong... this is war and the imbalance of it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some surefire ways to reduce seal clubbing:

Experienced Captains protect their shores and their seals. Make it too expensive to mess with you. 

Experienced Captains and Clans train up, equip, and assist seals. Make them sharks instead of seals.

Advise them about server population areas, peak danger times, and areas to avoid. Teach them how repairs work, purpose oriented builds and mods, strengths and weaknesses of certain ships. Show them the external Naval Actuon map and all that can be done with it. Advise them what perks to choose for what purpose.

Advise those that need to rank up and want to do it by killing AI that their best base would be one away from the capitol. If the nation does not have a suitable distant port, go take one.

Deny the clubbers targets. If your shores are being raided, go somewhere else. The bad guys will get bored.

Make sure your seals understand how ROE works. 

I know mqny players, nations, and some clans have in the past and continue to do some of these things but ultimately it is our job to make our nation's desirable, not the Dev's. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Some surefire ways to reduce seal clubbing:

Experienced Captains protect their shores and their seals. Make it too expensive to mess with you. 

Experienced Captains and Clans train up, equip, and assist seals. Make them sharks instead of seals.. 

Nobody wants to spend their precious time following other players around instead of playing their own game, and the whole "coast guard" wild goose chase routine is usually a huge waste of time for everyone involved anyway.  Seals will generally stay seals.  Most players have achieved their ceiling a few hours into their first brig or frigate.  The only way to become a shark is to join the sharks in a very time intensive way. 

18 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

Nobody wants to spend their precious time following other players around instead of playing their own game, and the whole "coast guard" wild goose chase routine is usually a huge waste of time for everyone involved anyway.  Seals will generally stay seals.  Most players have achieved their ceiling a few hours into their first brig or frigate.  The only way to become a shark is to join the sharks in a very time intensive way. 

I understand that all of our time is valuable. But I would propose that helping promising/enthusiastic new players ultimately gives me better gameplay. Becoming a shark by joining the sharks is an excellent example of how we can train new players.

54 minutes ago, Farrago said:

I understand that all of our time is valuable. But I would propose that helping promising/enthusiastic new players ultimately gives me better gameplay. Becoming a shark by joining the sharks is an excellent example of how we can train new players.

well...I'm not a shark, so I can't help in that area lol.  just saying that the primary way to avoid being a seal is joining the seal clubber club

Edited by Barbancourt