Game-Labs Forum

Keen to model a ship.

JuiceLoosner

Hi 

I am new to the NA community and am keen to model a ship.

I have over 15 years 3d modeling experience. Some in Naval / Defence simulation. More modern than NA you understand :)

I would prefer to model something that is in demand / requested by admin.

Smaller class / size would be good to get started as remodeling 

I understand that tech specs are not released so far.

Not withstanding my desire to start with something small I would also be interested in modeling something bigger like Cooks Endeavour (there will be more exploration in future releases?)

or "First Fleet" ships ( I live in Australia)

Also reading Patrick Obrians Aubrey Maturin series so keen on modeling anything from that.

Also is there any forum or facility for sharing resources such as textures and techniques.

I would be interested in seeing some other complete models to understand poly limits, texture sizes and setup.

These are then imported to Unity correct ( I also have some experience in this).

So any suggestions on boats appreciated or shoud i just look to the polls.

Thanks

• Like 2

Hi 

I am new to the NA community and am keen to model a ship.

I have over 15 years 3d modeling experience. Some in Naval / Defence simulation. More modern than NA you understand :)

I would prefer to model something that is in demand / requested by admin.

Smaller class / size would be good to get started as remodeling 

I understand that tech specs are not released so far.

Not withstanding my desire to start with something small I would also be interested in modeling something bigger like Cooks Endeavour (there will be more exploration in future releases?)

or "First Fleet" ships ( I live in Australia)

Also reading Patrick Obrians Aubrey Maturin series so keen on modeling anything from that.

Also is there any forum or facility for sharing resources such as textures and techniques.

I would be interested in seeing some other complete models to understand poly limits, texture sizes and setup.

These are then imported to Unity correct ( I also have some experience in this).

So any suggestions on boats appreciated or shoud i just look to the polls.

Thanks

I am Aussie and would have double liked your post if I could for its Aubrey comment. I am also reading them atm - third book in on my kindle! My vote would be a xebec which could be turned to a square rig... like in the first or second aubrey book... like the one Jack boarded when outnumbered. Of course the devs would have to make a mechanic to allow the rig to be changed and it must take some time of course.

Other than that maybe something that visited Australia during the period? HMS Supply, first fleet etc. All very boring ships though iirc. How bout the bounty or captain cooks ship..... dunno. Good stuff. 

The Sydney Maritime Museum would go nuts.

• Like 2

Well first welcometo the shipyards, sir.

Sadly the development is constantly changing the technical requirements for 3d models.

I have no idea on how exactly the devs cope with peeps like you. (obviously skilled producers)

Your best bet will be to directly e-mail them (info@game-labs.net) and tell them about your experience and what you intend of doing for the game.

Already one very skilled "shipbuilder" has had an exchange with the devs.

So if you do have the ability and can proof it (sounds like you can ;)) you can expect them to listen and response.

About ships. Well I guess you can ask the devs if you are allowed to model one of the pollships for this year.

Or you have your own favourite you want to mention.

Hi

Thank you for interest to participate development of Naval Action.

We are going to publish technical requirements for ship, figures and fretwork within few days.

Anyway, if you wish to start immediately, then you can contact us directly info@game-labs.net. 

Best Regards,

GameLabs

• Like 3

I can probably give you some ship plans if you want to make a small ship.  Anything specific you want to work on?  Fore-and-aft rigged schooners, cutters, or do you prefer small, square rigged ketches, brigs, snows, or maybe even very small ship?  FYI a 3-masted square rigged is the "ship" rig.

• Like 1

Weirdguy.

Have just been looking for plans for the HMS Endeavour. Have not found anything useful (ie detailed and large enough) yet.

I don't mind what it is really. Small is good for starters.

My other concern was to build something that has fire power as I am not sure that exploration or merchant type vessels will be required.

Thanks for the nautical terminology tip.

What are some good sites for plans? Google is only providing so much.

Send me a link or post a suggestion to model. 

cheers

In general if you are new to making 3D models of sailing ships, go for high quality ship model kits.  They tend to have lots of pictures to aid the hobby guys make their little toy ships, and 3D art guys are in the exact same situation.

Also, those ships tend to have actual models that people post pictures of online, and those can be very useful to look at details like how the wheel is positioned, or what bits on pieces on the deck are supposed to look like, ect.

Russian websites tend to be really good about posting ship plans they have for others to use, often kits that are very far out of date from the 1950's and 60's from companies that don't exist anymore.

Here is a good example.  They put up some plans for ships that came out of a Russian model making magazine called Modelist Konstruktor.

http://www.shipmodels.com.ua/eng/models/drawings/

Get the ships:

1.   Peter I = a rowboat in detail.  Always useful to have for any ship model as they all have rowboats somewhere.

2.  Predestinatsia = 54 gun ship of of the line aka the Goto Predestinatsia, note that a full sized replica was built in 2014 called the Voronezh.

3.  Ingermanland = 62 gun ship of the line from 1715.

4.  St Pavel = 88 gun ship of the line from 1799.

5.  St Peter = 12 gun brig.  Nice little vessel.

6.  Palada = late era ship of the line, but the sailplan doesn't properly show the yardarm lengths, so not that useful, actually.

7.  Mirny = aka Peaceful, a small 20 gun Sloop-of-War ship from 1819.  I happen to have the same plans that somebody deleted the text and put in English.

But, the plans I was going to just send you some I already have.  Also, send me a private message to give my your e-mail and I can get you some more information, and a low quality texture pack I used to use on Pirates of the Burning Sea.

How about the prints for the Russian Sloop-of-War (note that "sloop" here is not the rigging, but confusingly is the size of the ship, aka a miniature frigate of around 20 guns).

• Like 1

Thanks for that. Alot of great information.

You are right that the scale models are a great source for plans and reference.

I have used that technique to model helicopters before.

I have searched around and found some good reference for HMS Endeavour which I will make a start on.

Its not really a very threatening boat. Poorly performing ex collier that carries 20 guns.

If I want to do something smaller i might do that row boat.

A texture pack would be great. I can share whatever i generate.

• Like 1

Hey Juice, would you like to collaborate on HMS Endeavour, I use Blender 3D 2.73 (3DMax files) and I have a wonderful set of plans and drawings from NIP Anatomy of the Ship on the Endeavour - if you have an email I will gladly send you a .pfd copy of the book as a whole and you can use that in your work.  Some of the drawings and plans are split in scans on two pages but it's nothing to simply align and make into one image in something like GIMP or PS.

Send me a PM if your interested.

• Like 1

Hi Juice

I am on limited battery but I sent you a link to the pdf file of the whole book, it's in German but shouldn't be an issue as the drawings and all are the same and anything you need to read is pretty easy to make out or translate if needed - nice thing about German is the words are usually compounds and easy to make out, at least I think so.

Would love to exchange files on your project, I was looking into doing some of the smaller boats on Endeavour first as a practice and then of course the various cannon and fittings also as warm ups - eyes, stays and all that mess... the book is loaded with excellent drawings of all, and I might point out that the cross-sections of the hull do line up, at first they don't look like they do but then I realized that the outside plank on the one isn't the plank you see on the next as she is double-hulled and so that is the inside level - just pointing it out as it threw me for a moment when I was trying to line things up in ref. drawing, then it all made since... anyway, let me know if you can download that file and lets keep in touch on project I have a very extensive eBook library of such things air, sea, and land - just FYI; and I am particularly interested in knowing if you are going to lay out the keel in sections and all and keep the particular parts as individual so as to make them "destructible" later? etc.

Best,

V.