Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

5 hours ago, admin said:

HMS Pandora is the reimbursement. Its an amazing DLC that will be given for free to all accounts, and then will be maid paid and very expensive.

And lets get things straight. We did want to keep xp and crafting xp safe until we did not. We first wanted to give veterans and advantage against new players, but now we dont. we cant, keeping that promise is bad for the game, because all players must be equal on launch. ju

what you from my point of few underastimat is the fact, that new players are missing like know how (manual sailing etc) so objusly by killing xp you just force some players to redo there stuff. while those guys which join that game later will be told take care of yourself i need to manage my stuff first... 

I think its better to get a helping hand from a way furter standing community than that every one is just carring for himself. 

Material/Recaurces: whipe all start same (some players have the time to farm 10h a day others done) so at least you piss of your tester and ask them in the same sentence to keep on testing? 

lets see what we still have in a week than i deside if i just wait full realese, or if i still have fun. 

I love how so many people think that simply "releasing" the game is going to magically fix all the issues that plague it currently.

If anything, its going to kill this game if it releases in its current state.

NA needs at LEAST 2 to 3 more years of active, heavy development in EA before it can release. I urge the devs to take inspiration from other naval themed games, and use that to add more content and to develop this game into a truly amazing age of sail experience. Take PotBS, Tempest, AC: Black Flag, Sid Mier's Pirates, ect ect. All of those games were very popular for a REASON. You can still keep the game realistic, you dont have to add fantasy stuff, or super natural stuff, but there are a LOT of things in all those games that NA could benefit from.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, admin said:

Hello Captains

This is an advance warning on the turbulent 1-2 months ahead of us.

In the next patch we will introduce significant changes to trading, damage model, mission distribution, port importance to clans, and ROE. As we are getting closer and closer to the release candidate the game will require several wipes (acc resets) during this pre-release preparation in areas most affected by the changes.

First wipe will happen next week (from 4th to 8th March) 

The following things will be completely reset/wiped in the first wipe

• Victory marks: all victory marks will be removed, spend them on ships
  • Ship permits:  all ship permits will be removed, spend them on ships
  • Reals: all reals above 50,000 will be removed
  • Crafting resources: All crafting resources will be removed (like iron ore, oak etc.)
  • Trading resources – all trading resources will be removed (like Sevilla Muskets)
  • Tutorial rewards will most likely be reset: you will be able to pass the tutorial and get the rewards again

What remains unaffected

• All seaworthy assets: ships, cannons, upgrades, books, or unopened chests will NOT be affected or removed.
  • All investments in buildings, dock space and warehousing upgrades or outposts will NOT be affected or removed
  • Ship crafting XP and Combat XP will NOT be affected.

The main goal of the wipe is to test the new economy, trading and updated resource prices and labor hours (lh for crafting ships will be lowered).

Additional pre-release resets/wipes if needed will be announced in the future in news on Steam and on game forums.

We understand that it causes a lot of inconvenience to a lot of you. We arranging with valve to add the Early Access bonus ship Pandora to all early access buyers as Free DLC that will be redeemable once every 24 hours. It will take time but will definitely happen in March.

Repairs?

12 minutes ago, Hullabaloo said:

The only thing I am worried about from a purely selfish POV is the actual length of time from now until release. There will be little else to do but whelp ships and test the new mechanics/economy etc which is fine, but it will be a real limbo period waiting for release and for the game to finally start.

the limbo state will be very short. There will be 1-2 more patches before the release; one will finalize the localization, another one will be focused on overdue maintenance things like fixing bots sailing through land. 

• Like 16

1 hour ago, admin said:

There is no dishonesty.
We truly believed in 2015 that XP should be safe and getting to high level ships should require up to 60 days. The leveling was sped up for EA and testing. That statement was repeated over and over because it was true. The XP was not affected for the last 3! years and we tried as hard as we can to not reset progress on anything - only one economy wipe was done over 3 years of early access testing.

But times change the decision was made yesterday that the 2015 promise is bad for the game, and as soon as this decision was made - we made an upfront announcement. 

We are honest and clear. XP was safe for 3 years - but it is absolutely necessary that on launch the game starts fresh FOR EVERYONE.

So all goes. Xp, crafting, books ship knowledge at release Day.

Edited by staun

3 minutes ago, admin said:

the limbo state will be very short. There will be 1-2 more patches before the release; one will finalize the localization, another one will be focused on overdue maintenance things like fixing bots sailing through land. 

So we're looking at maybe no more than 4 to 5 months before "release" then possibly?

This is a major mistake. Releasing the game in its current state is going to do way more harm than good. There might be a slight uptick in players for a little bit, but with PotBS getting a major revamp soon, and Skull and Bones coming out this year, it will not last long at all. Especially when players realize just how shallow this game actually is, they're going to end up leaving in droves. Just like before.

• Like 1

One question: ai shiprouts you could just do no whipe nessesarry. why not do all that in front than call ONE wipe check it by speeding infra structure up (start with like a million and look for those who have in minutes 20 millions) + if no one have materials: life oak, white oak and teak is gona be a race to it. some nations like russia, prussia and poland need to capture towns bevor they (we) can at least set up mines and facilitys...

so with the realese we all join gb? Wait 95% of all players are gb right now?

11 hours ago, admin said:

Only books/skill books will be recovered, as they were very hard to get. XP is easy to get if you pvp.

The only thing that acctually gives you an edge over other players, you keep!

NO!

Those books fukked up youre game and it will continue to do so. All hail content creators, they have all those books and get to keep them. Bunch of wankers!

• Like 1

Just now, do not say dlc said:

The only thing that acctually gives you an edge over other players, you keep!

NO!

Those books fukked up youre game and it will continue to do so. All hail content creators, they have all those books and get to keep them. Bunch of wankers!

The books aren't what sets PvP'ers apart - most of the books in admiralty store is as usefull or in a couple of cases more so. Modules and gold ships sets PvP'ers apart from the rest.

i think what you guys do not see is, that a full wipe - even with rank and craft xp - is more than just a fair start to all new players, but gives the veterans a pleasant way to engage once more with the exitement of beginning a new game. Plus now we have a lot of information on how to succeed and that will make the newly began journey fun to play.

Nobody forced you to invest over a year of your livetime in an EA Title that was clearly to be wiped over and over again or maybe never released. Don't act like you build something real here. Only ones i hear crying are vets with their untouchable clans and in fear of coming in a bigger lake where they will not be the biggest fishes anymore. And - for the admirals sake - this wil finally stop you from exploiting the game mechanics for your ganks and what not. 

Stop crying and fight, you landlubbers.

Edited by kevdreck
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, kevdreck said:

Only ones i hear crying are vets with their untouchable clans and in fear of coming in a bigger lake where they will not be the biggest fishes anymore.

I'm pissed off about being mislead by developers, intentional or otherwise. About a game i've spent years in being released in an unfinished state that will probably leave it stillborn.
t. - solo freeporter who hello kittys about in a privateer all day.

• Like 1

For the oncoming wipe at early march I am just happy to keep my ships.

For release wipe I like the idea of Banished Privateer about restoring rank 'automatically' over weeks and months for those who don't work hard for getting back their rank.

Maybe the rank reduction is also a way to allow players to keep their precious ships even with release wipe, as they cannot use most of them (the bigger ones at least) due to crew limitations and so will not confront new players with overpowering means. Don't care so much about rank or goods, my rare ships of better quality is my main concern.

I think it would be a good idea, as redeemable gift for release, to give to all early access players additional dockspace (also not hurting new players) for free. Will have more calming effect than a ship which gets sunk maybe on the first day, who knows?

@admin I am fine with full wipe even books. It is what it is. Don't bother respond to cry babies. They have to deal with it.

I am actually looking forward to small ship big battles.

Regarding DLC ship, please make them capturable. If a player is defeated and captured there is no reason to not enjoy the spoils only because you did not buy a dlc.

Edited by RKY
  • Like 1

Dear developers,
in my country we say "a promise is a promise, there is no excuse!".
It s not enough to add the sentence "expect the worst" to make a promise become "words in the wind" (forgive my frankness, but it is the least you can expect)
However personally I am in favor of the total wipe to release but with the exclusion of books and shipknowledges on the different ships, I'm not going to spend more time in this "boring" phase of the game.
Try to think to this "concession" as a gift for our "loyalty" to your game, I do not care for free DLc, my time is worth much more than € 15 of course.
I bought almost all the dlc (very strange considering that NA is a game in EA), I avoided "le broken" that remains a hateful ship (it's just my opinion) and the forged papers (because I feel good in the nation in which I am).
I bought these DLCs to economically support (in my small) your project, and I do not regret having bought those (at least until now), I will also buy the others (I hope there will be aesthetic and not ships) always with the same intent.
I made a positive review of your game on steam, the only review I've ever done even if I own several games besides yours, always with the intent of helping the project. It was not easy, the temptation to change it in negative has been strong on several occasions.
It's not a secret, I do not like how you treat your customers, I do not like the tone with which you address us in the forum, but also with this I can live with, because I think your game is one of the best games in my library (even with all the faults it has).

What I can not stand is that this game could be one of the best games on the market, but every now and then it seems you do something to make sure it is not!
I'll try to explain:
1. for veterans (who have invested many hours in your game): experience is a factor that certainly continues to be a reason to continue playing (experience is an advantage that you can not cancel, even with a wipe, unless you can convince us to cancel our brains). So at the release the advantage of the experience will always be there in relation to new players. What a veteran will never accept is to repeat the "boring" parts of the game (excuse me, but there are). So leave us the shipknowledges on ships and books and we will all be happy to start again in basic cutters, sure that once the rank is unlocked we will return to sail with our favorite ships as if there had never been a wipe! As I said, think of this as a recognition for our fidelity! Otherwise "expect the worst" as you love to say often in your posts.
2. for new players: it is right to have a start from scratch for everyone (at least on "paper"), but this could be true in the first two weeks maybe, then there will still be a difference between who started the first day and who arrived after. You know very well that there are players "used" to play in the same clan for months (some for years), do you think they will not continue to do so even after the release? How do you think you can prevent this? So there will always be a difference between organized and "skilled" players and new players approaching the game for the first time (another advantage for veterans I would say). Too bad you had the good idea of encouraging membership of a clan just to help new players, another good idea abandoned? What will change for new players if veterans will keep shipknowledges and books? I believe very little or nothing!

At the release we should all wish that:
1. veterans continue to play (they have always shown "loyalty" to the game, why not reward it)
2. a return of old players (recalled by veterans who are still playing)
3. a mass entry of new players (this for the sake of the game and your finances I would also say)

But if the servers will be deserted (because the veterans will decide to leave for example), there will not even be new players!
Let us remember that now the main problem of the game are the low numbers of online players !. Two or more years ago there were 2,000 players online in prime time, this was enough to "hide" the "defects" of the game itself! Now, with the small numbers that are there, everything seems a huge flaw!

Thank you for your attention and commitment in the development of your / our game!
"Ad maiora semper!"
MassimoSud

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, kitsunelegend said:

There might be a slight uptick in players for a little bit, but with PotBS getting a major revamp soon, and Skull and Bones coming out this year, it will not last long at all. Especially when players realize just how shallow this game actually is, they're going to end up leaving in droves. Just like before.

looking at videos of PotBS i cant see how this game is any thread to NA: i am look at it? with the upoping numbers and the Comicstyle?  I coud never play such a Game. About Skulls and bone. There wont be any PvP on S&B  just koop PvE. it also gonna be waaay more Casaul. I dont think i goes for the same Player segment. It like comparing Battlefield 1 with Tannenberg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meraun said:

looking at videos of PotBS i cant see how this game is any thread to NA: i am look at it? with the upoping numbers and the Comicstyle?  I coud never play such a Game. About Skulls and bone. There wont be any PvP on S&B  just koop PvE. it also gonna be waaay more Casaul. I dont think i goes for the same Player segment. It like comparing Battlefield 1 with Tannenberg

One of the main issues with NA, is that it caters WAY too much to hardcore players. There is almost no room for more casual players like myself, so we go to games that are more cartoony or arcady, because most of the time, thats the only other option. (and this is coming from someone who also enjoys games like IL-2 Great Battles, X-Plane 11, and DCS)

Also, Skull & Bones is apparently going to be pvpve, much like the war server we have here. Except with about 15 times more content. (And sea shanties! Dont forget the sea shanties!)

This type of game NEEDS a lot of players in order to do well. And most players are going to be more casual. Thats why a lot of flight sims for example, are very very niche. But most flight sims also are not MMOs or RPGs. Naval Action is basically an MMO, and MMOs NEED players to be able to live. And the way you GET more players, is to make it a little more casual and friendly, and ALSO adding in much more content.

Also, PotBS is a very old game, so the graphics are very dated, but it STILL has a rather large following due to the sheer amount of content and things you can do in the game. And no, I'm not saying make NA like those games, I'm saying that NA needs a huge influx of content if it ever hopes to survive. This game will not survive post release with sub 500 average players.

Like it or not, this game, as it currently stands, is a quarter of a mile wide, but half an inch deep when it comes to available content.

• Like 1

I am very disappointed to see @admin giving us "FALSE INFORMATION" just few months ago stating that "rank xp and crafting xp to be kept". 

What are the reasons to change this decision, do not bend the truth by saying 2015 promise is not valid anymore, as you repeated the promise in 2018. Please tell us your reasons, letting you giving us a FALSE INFORMATION, swallowing what you spitted.

As stated before, what will change 1 month later after the release, are you going to wipe again for other 5k copies who bought the game 1 month after release, assuming lots positive reviews in steam.

What do you think when some veterans camping out of KPR and Mortimer (where flock of new players will be), using your beloved "LE REQUIN" aka "Le Cancer", starts farming 50-100 noobs each hour, blockading these capitals for entire prime time ? I can do that few days after release, I do not need any sea muskets etc., some other will do it 10x better than me. I can not imagine those negative reviews of rage quiting noobs in NA Steam Page. What kind of measures/protections did you plan ? As I and other morons kept bashing cancer DLC over and over, you did not give a duck. It takes me seconds to capture and sink new players who sails 6th rates, it will take seconds to sink bigger ships sailed by noobs for pro cancer players. Have you finalised your safe zone concept / ROE concepts, are they working good ?

For years the community came with great ideas/contents, hope you will implement some before release, cause I will laugh hard if you release this game with new damage model and trade patch as a finished project.

I do not wanna see a mostly negative scored Naval Action after release, it will be RIP for sure. You can reset whatever you like, but make it meaningful, with a good reason.

As for a player what I would be happy to see

* To keep ship knowledge slots for at least 5th rate and above, this is the real problem for me(I guess also for many many others), if I have to grind again, it is end of NA for me.

* @Banished Privateer idea of releasing xp on a timescale for veteran players is also another great idea.

* You next patch economy/battle instance/missions, will really be the deciding factor to see if this game is ready for release.

* Some offered content by the players, are great but even they require little effort to implement, you did nothing about it, that is really bothering me.

* Normaly you look at somebody with his history, cause that is what they are capable or uncapable of. Gamelabs so far, I can not decide, we should "EXPECT THE WORST" 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, admin said:

Mistakes yes.
The promise to keep XP was a mistake - as when it was made the game was clean and fresh and not even launched (end of 2015), and we were young and unprofessional then.
So when the developer makes a mistake he corrects it - so we corrected it. Stupid promise to give veterans an unfair advantage over new players retracted: Everyone starts at the same position on release (with the exception of skillbooks)

correct decision, i've told you many times.  the advantage of vets cannot be wiped because they already learned how to aim,shot,tack, manual sails...this is the XP of the vets and they will be always superior than newbs.

i've 2 question btw @admin:

1) you talk to keep ''skillbooks'', but what do you mean for skillbook? to be clear, are you talking about the 5 slots of a ship or the books like Art of Ship or Gunnery ecc ecc? or do you mean both those 2 thing when you say ''skillbooks''?  keeping slots and books should be a good compensation/compromise for vets if you don't want to change the grinding action for slots on the ships knowledge...it was just a waste of time to be honest.   btw i need your answer on meaning of ''skillbooks''.

2) Will Damage Patch be dropped with this next big patch? it will be really usefull to reduce amount of 1st rate spam (clearly, i hope you have raised the costs of producing a 1st,2nd,3rd rate)

the Banished proposal isn't good cause vets will stop playing for a mont until they can redeem their old ranks starting again on top.

now some suggestion for the Release: IMPROVE PVE CONTENT!!!! we need a big amount of various PVE action not only go there sink 98360968309 ships and take prize...this is grinding the same mission. also bring passengers/mail from A to B will be always grinding. so we will have only 2 kind of PVE mission, kill and transport.  you must introduce, and i suppose you are not ready for the release in spring.  

EXPLORATION: go near land, click an ''explore button'' and looks if you find an hideout/point of interest  - uncommon - once discovered, you can enter in a battle istance where you can find:

- Enemy smugglers bot (xp and loot - small income) - uncommon

- sunken ships to explore (loot and or/crafting materials/guns - medium income) - uncommon

- something on land you must reach closing distance with sailing (loot, contraband goods hideouts, small wreks or sea waste - small income) common

- relic to study that give you hints on subsequential mission of finding pieces of treasure map or something else (unlocks mission chains to bigger loot/ship note/big money or valuable trading resources like the epic event chests - big income) - very rare

- a dock to improve and use as FOB (forward operational base) bringing there building materials to build 1 or 2 tower max, 1 or 2 ships slots and a limited warehouse that can be discovered by other players and be attacked and looted by players - rare

- enemy nation flag to use for a limited time to avoid Enemy Navy Patrol when sailing enemy waters (this is intended if you re-introduce AI tagging Players)

FISHING:

simple to understand, introduce ships for fishing small medium and big fish and whales...ships dedicated to

CASTAWAYS: find them while in OW, like you find wreks now once bottle opened, and bring them back to land or ask for ransom or other

this game has the potential of EVE online...be smart and works for this

• Like 4

2 hours ago, admin said:

There is no dishonesty.
We truly believed in 2015 that XP should be safe and getting to high level ships should require up to 60 days. The leveling was sped up for EA and testing. That statement was repeated over and over because it was true. The XP was not affected for the last 3! years and we tried as hard as we can to not reset progress on anything - only one economy wipe was done over 3 years of early access testing.

But times change the decision was made yesterday that the 2015 promise is bad for the game, and as soon as this decision was made - we made an upfront announcement. 

We are honest and clear. XP was safe for 3 years - but it is absolutely necessary that on launch the game starts fresh FOR EVERYONE.

You broke a promise you made.

And in my world a man is worth as his promises. I never trusted you before, I trust you now even less. But we do not have to be friends, I purchased a game and you sold it to me. It's business vs fun and I understand it.

So you think that breaking a promise is good for the game. Ok, so be it!

But ... I'm personally done with a game where I cannot rely on the declarations of the developlers. Anyway, that's just me.

But please, at least avoid posting things like "there is no lie" o "there is no dishonesty".

If you wanted to do something worse than breaking a promise, well, that's exactly trying to convince us that you did not break a promise.

We are testers not idiots.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

Once again we have the same old problem of this game been in discussion a million times in then past, but never got addressed:

The game is too time consuming for things the players just DONT WANT TO DO.

Nobody ever wants to sail 45 mins across the map without any noteworthy event. Nobody wants to deal with unsignificant resources or goods. Nobody wants to do always the same boring NPC attacks to gain XP or Gold. Nobody wants to meet a worthy NPC by random, after meeting 10 times a 20 Vics NPC fleet. The points is - in a balanced game with lots of content, any loss of XP before release wouldn't matter at all.

Just compare this game with recently released MMO Forza Horizon 4, where I

- can freely choose what to do next
- have a map with lots of events
- have not to spend more than 5 mins to get to a meaningful event
- can freely choose what to "drive" (assuming I have collected/bought the cars before, yes bought it's all okay)
- have a lot of fun instead of boredom

Where are Exploration Events? Where are hidden Treasures? Where are Special NPC's with extra bonuses in the hold sailing on known routes over the map? Where are hidden islands not discovered yet? Where are secret passages only revelaed when sailing close to them ...? If I you'll implement all these things, no one would ever complain about a wipe, believe me. And all of these things would bring more players to sail out and make worthy targets for pvp hunters ...

Didn't this get you to start thinking after three years? This game is a great sailing sim but we need far more content and more freedom in player's choices.

• Like 1