Game-Labs Forum

Exciting times ahead - pre-release wipes information

Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed Money, resources, upgrades owned and probably ships will definitely get wiped R

I have tested this game for 7000 hours ... I have spent money on DLC .. based on this guarantee

if the devs had been honest and upfront about a full wipe i would  not have bought those DLCs  .. at the moment i feel I have been conned into wasting my time testing for the devs  and have been conned into spending money on dlc  ..

the pandora and a few paints is a poor reward for 7000 hours testing .  the dlc i prchased in good faith .. now useless for a game i may not want to play

one question .. why do you feel you can treat your most loyal customers like this ?

to be fair the ranking xp means little but im not going to grind the crafting xp

• Like 6

2 hours ago, admin said:

if you expected the worst you would not be upset. It is also in that post. 
There was no "few short months" - you are making up things.
This promise was made in 2015. And repeated because we believed it was true and good.
But based on what we know on how valve promotes and features games on steam - it wont be good any more.
Now we think that giving veterans advantage over new players on launch is a horrible idea . 

this is a legit business decision. Period.

It was wrong to make taht promise in 2015, but its done. Make a nice "we are sorry" Thread, and be done with it.  Its the right thing to do after all.

Edited by Meraun
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

Rank xp, crafting xp is safe and guaranteed Money, resources, upgrades owned and probably ships will definitely get wiped R

I have tested this game for 7000 hours ... I have spent money on DLC .. based on this guarantee

if the devs had been honest and upfront about a full wipe i would  not have bought those DLCs  .. at the moment i feel I have been conned into wasting my time testing for the devs  and have been conned into spending money on dlc  ..

the pandora and a few paints is a poor reward for 7000 hours testing .  the dlc i prchased in good faith .. now useless for a game i may not want to play

one question .. why do you feel you can treat your most loyal customers like this ?

to be fair the ranking xp means little but im not going to grind the crafting xp

Had the devs been honest I would not have bought into this game with my alts + DLCs.

1 hour ago, Joernsson said:

Therefore developers are not interested to keep veterans/EA testers happy endlessly.

Normally I would agree with this sad truth but for NA it is a somewhat different story. Not only is it a niche game that aims at a very specific audience, there is also this vast map that needs a lot of players on it, to make the "mmo" part work. A mmo without enough players is no mmo, it becomes a online single player game. It only gets worse when we also add the fact, that NA relies on player on player interaction as the major part of content ( not much to do otherwise, if you don't enjoy bashing AI alone or collecting pixel gold that you don't have any purpose for ).

So every lost player hurts the game more than people seem to understand or want to admit. 

If I buy a mmo on steam, log in and see 300 players online worldwide, that would be a immediate refund.

And then of course there is also this:

1 hour ago, Joernsson said:

For every unhappy customer Steam reviews is your friend.

All friends that I could get into the game were very hesitant and concerned about the reviews first. The low rating and high entry price, even with 4 DLC's is a real killer for any mmo.

If I did not know what a great game NA is, I would avoid it like the plague judging from the steam page alone.

Edited by Sovereign
  • Like 1

First wipe
will happen next week somewhere between 4th and 8th March 
The following things will be completely reset in the first wipe

• Victory marks
  • All reals above a certain threshold
  • All resources above a certain threshold
  • All trading resources - complete removal

@admin what will the threshold for reals and resources be? and in regards to victory marks will we lose all of them and is their  a change to permits? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neads O'Tune said:

Explain what has made the DLC useless?

a dlc is useless if im not playing the game .. i bought those dlc based on the fact i intended  playing the game after release  ... It was guaranteed  that rank and  crafting xp were to be retained on release

therefore the dlc were sold under false pretence

let me say again

if the devs had been honest and upfront about a full wipe i would  not have bought those DLCs

Edited by Grundgemunkey
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, admin said:

@Banished Privateer idea is good but is not going to help because players who will expect xp in lets say a month - will then delay playing. 

No, those who really like the game will play the game with 0 XP at the start just for fun, happy to know they'll get their XP soon.

I thought the new NA philosophy was to take care of players who don't have much time to play,.

XP wipe is no problem for hard core gamers. That's even a challenge, more content for them. But for casual, that's hard. I've gone through all wipes from the start (since Sea trial), very slowly grinding XP. I was really relieved to hear there was no other XP wipe. This XP wipe is one too many. I won't grind again. Too bad.   

@Banished Privateer 's idea is great and rightful.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meraun said:

this is a legit business decision. Period.

It was wrong to make taht promise in 2015, but its done. Make a nice "we are sorry" Thread, and be done with it.  Its the right thing to do after all.

It's a moronic business decision. Who here will ever buy a game in EA from GameLabs ever again? And if NA botches who will then buy any game from GameLabs ever again?

The real question is: What will change that will markedly change new player experience post release? 

The current problems will not go away by a wipe, after 2-4 weeks the problems will reappear. Does the devs imagine that they can wipe every 2-4 weeks? If nothing new is to be tested then the new players will still be hunted into extinction. No ship is worse to start out in than the basic cutter, I'd argue that sailing a Santissima requires less skill than sailing a basic cutter and yet the basic cutter is still the beginners ship of choice. His only choice. I'd argue that new players that experience their first gank is prone to stop playing.

The suggested change to the RoE will only aggravate ganking since 1: I won't help a trader getting tagged by a single enemy warship because if I jump into the battle the ganking team can get 2 more players in, in dedicated warships. It will be a ganking fest. 2: every time u see a trader out of its way it might be a trap so you won't tag it. In short ganking won't be fixed.

The trading changes won't alter the current state of trading - it's afk sailing requiring little to no effort. Ppl with alts will get everything in a matter of weeks and noobs won't be able to buy any trading goods because me, myself, I and my alt has 16 indiamans vacuuming the ports that yields the largest profits.

Crafting req reals/gold and rs to lvl up, vets will have lvl'ed up fast and newbs will still be at a disadvantage. Add to this that eurotrader was removed to move more ppl to buy admirals DLC and newbs prob won't even start crafting since the investment in time, rs and OPs will be prohibitive.

This notion that a wipe will create any marked difference for new players is naive and only shows how little ppl understand of a sandbox game. The game needs to be balanced, and the incompetence of the developers means that they have avoided that for nigh on 3 years and kept fiddling with a combat model that really is the only thing truly working in this game.

In short: It's a shitty business decision that will serve no purpose other than more negative reviews post release wich will turn off any potential new players from buying the game and those that do will find all the old problems and then turn in a negative review. Game dies, GameLabs will find it increasingly hard to sell any game and as such will die off just like a host of other companies that tanked due to a halfassed product that was rushed through.

been waiting for proper release , so for me that's great.

Will we start with a clean slate, regards to Nation  , Clan etc ? IE the same as a day 1 noob

Not all of us have alts  or any dlc's so it would be nice to know in advance whether it's worth hoping for a spring steam sale ( which is a possibility ) to load up on an alt.

and lastly, if I have missed any of this information in previous replies, appologies , I don't really want to trawl the tantrums

Be nice to lose the global chat channels ingame too , imho it's  just for insults , racism and people linking stuff they shouldn't. Leave trade and nation but global should be gone, not worth the effort to police it

I have 5 characters that I grinded to max rank, 2 that are second highest rank and another 3 that are Flag Captain..

I support a total wipe. (Am I a masochist? Maybe.)

However, please stop framing this in terms of new players and veterans being on an even level after release. That's not the case. Skill cannot be wiped. And new players are going to come after 1 month, 2 month 3 month after release, and everyone who played since release are going to have a head start on these new players.

But as admin says, it is about first impressions. If you buy the game a month after release, you have to expect to face players that have played for a month. But if you buy a game at release, you are buying it then because you want to get in on the ground floor. You want to be part of a fresh new world. You don't expect a world where some players have already been amassing assets (or XP) for years.

It's like running a marathon: When you're new to running marathons, you have to know that veteran marathon runners are going to outrun you - by a lot. But you'd be pretty pissed if those who ran last year's marathon get a 1 hour head start that doesn't count on their clock.

On a related note, yacht and Pandora should be released as purchaseable DLCs on release, that new players can purchase, while eligible testers get them for free as scheduled.

Also, it's nice that @Banished Privateer's idea of a delayed XP redeemable is received so well by so many.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

a dlc is useless if im not playing the game .. i bought those dlc based on the fact i intended  playing the game after release  ... It was guaranteed  that rank and  crafting xp were to be retained on release

therefore the dlc were sold under false pretence

Yes, at the time they believed that they made the right choice, they have since had time to assess the situation and feedback from players (there were many players who called for a complete XP wipe at launch) and have made a change that they think will benefit the game post launch. 

He did ALSO say to EXPECT THE WORST.

30 minutes ago, admin said:

@Banished Privateer idea is good but is not going to help because players who will expect xp in lets say a month - will then delay playing. 

But you're gonna have all these "new players" aren't you? That's why we're wiping in the first place. A delay in the veterans playing will mean they get a nice fair and fun start right?

3 minutes ago, Anolytic said:

It's like running a marathon: When you're new to running marathons, you have to know that veteran marathon runners are going to outrun you - by a lot. But you'd be pretty pissed if those who ran last year's marathon get a 1 hour head start that doesn't count on their clock.

Except it is not like running a marathon. In a marathon there is a finish line, an end goal. There is no such thing in NA and we all see the pop numbers, we all know the issues new players experience and those will not be fixed by any wipe. The game lacks balance. Pure and simple.

@admin can you speed up the wipe from 7 days to just one?

i am getting excited now ...

and a good thing to wipe the darn stuff and bring trading in first.

allt he vets must understand that having an advantage over new players is blow in the face before they even start playing, and is not fair to them.

so i wouldn't mind to wipe it entirely to the bone...

in EVE it took me 5 years to fly the big mogul, (and that is described) so what i s a month or two, its nothing ...

go ahead and stick to the process...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lars Kjaer said:

Except it is not like running a marathon. In a marathon there is a finish line, an end goal. There is no such thing in NA and we all see the pop numbers, we all know the issues new players experience and those will not be fixed by any wipe. The game lacks balance. Pure and simple.

Well. There's time to work on both balance and content. I'm anticipating a late spring release in October/November

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Neads O'Tune said:

Yes, at the time they believed that they made the right choice, they have since had time to assess the situation and feedback from players (there were many players who called for a complete XP wipe at launch) and have made a change that they think will benefit the game post launch. 

He did ALSO say to EXPECT THE WORST.

fair comment ... however

Napoleon believed he made the right choice on marching to Moscow

seems there are many players who are calling the full xp wipe BS

i have played this game for many hours and although it will be a shame ... its not a life changing event to stop playing .. the devs can do as they like

I feel I have been conned with false information when DLC was launched ..

i may have been stupid to buy several dlc of a game in testing , but thought they were been sold on the basis of no removal of xp at launch

I bought those dlc on the facts presented by the devs .. they obviosly havent acted in good faith when selling them

• Like 2

see this as  an end of NA

Vets will stop playing ... those that come back on release will log in find they have nothing  and leave again ..why do you think they left in the first place

people who havent played before will see new game release read reviews and not buy

result  0 playerbase game dead in 2 months

but devs have made their money  so alls good

• Like 2

I dont mind a full wipe, but this game is NOT ready for release. Not by a long shot. There is a ton of missing content, and a ton of things that a lot of people want to see changed/added. Personally, I feel this game needs at minimum another 2 or even 3 years of EA development before it should be considered for release.

- Sextent needs to be reworked completely. No more GPS dot tied to a skill perk. Make it a minigame done on the OW that EVERYONE has access to, regardless of skills.

- PVE Raids/PVE Port Battles. Some kind of system for the pve server that allows port battles, or some way to flip a port without hurting the original people in said port.

- Allow people of different nations to add each other to their friends list. Especially on the pve server. Some kind of nation alliance system maybe?

- Better, more entertaining boarding system. No more rock, paper, scissors clickfest. Do some kind of an RTS type of deal. Turn based maybe? You guys made the Ultimate general series of games, maybe take some inspiration from those and use it for boarding?

- More minigames for long trips. Card games, dice, poker, checkers/chess, an interactive fishing minigame maybe? Just SOMETHING to do on long trips.

If you could add HALF that stuff, I would be ok with this game releasing fully. As it stands, if this game releases as is, it will only be met with failure. You are already losing potential customers from the current state of the game. How do you think new players will feel when they buy a fully priced released game, and its in the state its currently in? They'll be rightfully ticked off, and leave the game forever.

[edit] Oh, and lets not forget one of the most important details about games. MUSIC SOUND TRACK. For the LOVE OF FUDGE AND COOKIES, PLEASE HIRE SOMEONE TO MAKE MUSIC FOR THIS GAME!

Seriously, this is one of those games that would benefit MASSIVELY from a really well put together sound track! The fact there is still nothing like that in this game, after all these years, is extremely disappointing. Heck, I'm sure you could even find some musicians right here in this forum that would LOVE to contribute to this game, or at least might know someone who can! Just anything! Please!

Edited by kitsunelegend
  • Like 1