Game-Labs Forum

Modernized Age of Sail ships

AUAcuso

let's theory craft for a moment. let's say you are a time traveller and a naval architect to boot. you decide to go back in time to the 1780s-90s and get a job as the master architect of your respected navies. what changes could be made to the traditional ship's design to make them more effective for the combat of the time?

now I'm not talking about building better guns, you're an architect, no gunsmith. and for the sake of keeping it fairly not crazy, let's restrict it to wood only, the iron industry hasn't taken off, no iron-hulled ships.

Off the top of my head, I could see bilge keels being useful in stabilizing taller Ships of the Line in rough weather.

25 minutes ago, vazco said:

Bulbous bow, Dazzle camouflage ( imagine Dazzle Santissima :) ). Possibly kite sails. Abomination when it comes to looks, but possibly effective :)

I Don't know if a bulbous bow would actually offer any advantages to a sailing vessel, as it's more for fuel efficiency than anything. maybe a wave piercing bow of some sort would work better. my god, dazzle camouflage on a ship of the line would be a sight, could be absolutely beautiful with the right artist.

2 hours ago, AUAcuso said:

I Don't know if a bulbous bow would actually offer any advantages to a sailing vessel, as it's more for fuel efficiency than anything.

It mostly lowers drag of the wave, which can also increase speed quite significantly (10%+). It works from a certain speed though, maybe a clipper could benefit from it.