Game-Labs Forum
jodgi

"What happened to the 2500 players?"

12 minutes ago, admin said:

Majority of negative reviews come from players with 100+ hours. Lack of content does not connect with average 100+ hours. There is content but there is not enough of it. There is a desire to add content but there is not enough crew to make it (and never were).  There is a review pointed out by @Liq - sorry @Liq for all the troubles from our side - where a person hates the game after spending 13000 hours in it. Who can blame him- definitely not lack of content. 

Circles in development are easily explainable - looking forward every decision was supposed to make the game better - like for example connecting the cities into the regions and moving to regional capture morel (focused on making rvr better). Or removing the flags. Looking back it was a waste of time. There is no definitive answer on anything and you can only find the answers by testing. Sometimes due to lack of experience we did not wait it out and changed things back - but we learnt and - it did not happen with doubloons and wont happen with new combat model. We are on the finish line and game is shaping up well for the release. There will be no back and forth as half of 2018 was spend on key things like localization and ui. 

I still believe an update of the graphics of the OW would be quite important to make before release.

• Like 2

I wish there were patches that were smaller and more frequent. instead of a pop every few months. it's like getting a release but not being happy about it.

There are also a ton of suggestions to enhance things we already have. RvR is a hot topic because it's the mechanic that spells "End-Game." I go back to my point from earlier - Things that happen often in repeat in a game need to be enjoyable for a gamer to want to do the same thing again and again. RvR and OW PvP are that type of activity.

Heck, maybe this new damage model will be wildly ok, but many have a justified reservation about it.

RvR needs "more" to it. it's a shell that's been slowly worked on, but we now need 'meat' added in it.

• Like 6

Steam reviews are also important :)

For release, I would like to see, 

Free Edition, very limited docks /outposts. 

Starter Edition just like Rainbow Six, cheap with adequate content. 

Standart game as it is now. 

Ultimate edition with dlcs. 

This approach can solve player base problems. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, admin said:

Majority of negative reviews come from players with 100+ hours. Lack of content does not connect with average 100+ hours. There is content but there is not enough of it. There is a desire to add content but there is not enough crew to make it (and never were).  There is a review pointed out by @Liq - sorry @Liq for all the troubles from our side - where a person hates the game after spending 13000 hours in it. Who can blame him- definitely not lack of content. 

Circles in development are easily explainable - looking forward every decision was supposed to make the game better - like for example connecting the cities into the regions and moving to regional capture morel (focused on making rvr better). Or removing the flags. Looking back it was a waste of time. There is no definitive answer on anything and you can only find the answers by testing. Sometimes due to lack of experience we did not wait it out and changed things back - but we learnt and - it did not happen with doubloons and wont happen with new combat model. We are on the finish line and game is shaping up well for the release. There will be no back and forth as half of 2018 was spend on key things like localization and ui. 

Since you brought it up....   Just a casual look on the first page.  Our president would call this Fake News.

bd612a9d0b055da6cb588189e91bee4c.png
https://gyazo.com/bd612a9d0b055da6cb588189e91bee4c

4b5ec0c7b36e8758614396b292911dd1.png
https://gyazo.com/4b5ec0c7b36e8758614396b292911dd1

7840a9544530e8e31ade94d220b471fa.png

f3d054522d8c93cf8a36b32da72d6243.png
https://gyazo.com/f3d054522d8c93cf8a36b32da72d6243

795400e438edcf74906b52b64613df26.png

This was just this month it seems.  While I agree that there are quite a few lower hour negative reviews, but there are also a few low hour positive ones.  Frankly If I were a dev and a player left a negative review after 13000 hours I'd want to know why and perhaps contact that player for some personal feedback.

One of our main econ guys quit last month after I dunno how many hours in game.  9k?.  He played NA day and night hauling stuff around and making money.  Your econ patch killed the game for him and a number of other individuals.  Why are we working on an already good combat model?  I'm so baffled.          

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I still believe an update of the graphics of the OW would be quite important to make before release.

This is one of my fears about this game, while we love it and all, but to be honest by time it releases it's going to be pretty much out dated compare to other games out there.  The development is taking to long and going in circles all the time. It's like every time they get a head and ready for release they step back 5 steps by changing something that "DOES NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED."   So with this pattern I'm feeling this game will not appeal to a lot of people compared to more modern games that has the "WOW" factor of the latest graphics and such.   

A lot of great things have been said on here but I would like to point out something.  If 50% of the sales said by @admin is from the US/North American market than why aren't we retaining these players.  @admin has said in the past many don't make it past the basic cutter or first few ranks.  Why havnen't we worked to keep these players (new players over all no matter where they come from)?   Instead we come up with some concept (The not so safe zones) and than we keep tweeking them to make the older players happy.  We need a large casual player base to make this game healthy as per @Wraith post.  By not retaining these players we will never have that.  Same with the AUS/SEA players, they won't want to stick around playing with high ping on a game like this.   Servers should be moved to a new location that is more WORLD friendly, if the pop gets big enough than add other region servers later after release but I don't think we will every have a big pop again where we need to split the servers.  In fact i think splitting them and having two servers is part of the problem too. Instead of coming up with something that would allow players to play on one serve and have both the PvE and PvP styles not forced upon them would bring more players to one game than having them split between 4 servers.  We had PvP1, Mirror, PvE and PvP2 at one time.

Stop trying to make certain folks happy that aren't apart of the goal of the game.  A alot of us see a very big bias in this game, just look at adding three nations that should never been in this game from the start?  Why are they here?   To me it felt like you added them to grasp at those numbers to get them happy and return. Instead you should of just added flags option or make one nation that is privateers for those that don't want to fly under a core nations flag.   This will also point out why I think we loose so many players from that large player pool of those that buy the game.  There is a very extreme bias in this game   @Christendom pointed it out with the PvP1/PvP2 splits and mergers.  PvP2 was pretty much left to fend for it self with no mods and no care from the dev team and it's suppose to have been 50% of the games sales, but cause of the way it was handled you split that population with those that wanted better connection and not the bias of EU/NA split or to stay and play with your friends and the largest population of the two servers.   Than when you merge back there should of been a wipe and all should of been on equal grounds.   We have yet to have a wipe since than and this game needs them.......the game gets stale and folks are stuck doing the same thing over and over so you loose interest and players leave.   POTBS had wipes when some one won victory points or a set time for this reason.   We have some ports that have never been attacked since the big wipe 2 years ago.....never been attacked?  What that tells you?

Over all for me it's just taking to long and I been part of a lot of game developments over the last 20 years and while most of them where top company games, they still didn't drag in circles like this.   This game is dragging it self to death in the same circles over and over and over again.  @admin always says small team and such and such?  Well what you do with all that DLC money you got when they came out, could of hired one more person to help get things done.  Stop working on other games not out yet if you need extra hands and get things done.  This game has a spot that could make them a good fund for those other games, but I fear by time they get done that ship will have sailed a long time ago if it hasn't all ready.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Christendom said:

One of our main econ guys quit last month after I dunno how many hours in game.  9k?.  He played NA day and night hauling stuff around and making money.  Your econ patch killed the game for him and a number of other individuals.  Why are we working on an already good combat model?  I'm so baffled.          

I know a few of the trade econ guys that quit in the US too.  While it might of made it more simple for certain players that really didn't craft any way, it lost interest for those that love that part of the game.  I wouldn't say the econ patch killed it for them, it's the lack of actual patch, we still haven't seen all the changes they wanted to put in if there was any of that patch.

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Texas Sir said:

I know a few of the trade econ guys that quit in the US too.  While it might of made it more simple for certain players that really didn't craft any way, it lost interest for those that love that part of the game.  I wouldn't say the econ patch killed it for them, it's the lack of actual patch, we still haven't seen all the changes they wanted to put in if there was any of that patch.

yea I felt bad.  He was quite literally on all day every day.  Only thing that kept him busy was making ship refits and he made a shit load of cash and just ended up quitting.  Game was no longer fun for him.  

Meanwhile the damage model is getting tweaked.  It's like changing the color of the curtains while the roof is leaking.

• Like 4

And yet the littlest of things can reverse all that trend…

Return NPCs to their forma gory and plus some… will have an immediate effect of continuous action, more vessels, more chance encounters, more pvp, pop grows, realm grows. It can be just that simple.

And to add in a small opinion…

Return composite crafting and remove exorbitant crafting, both take equal amount of resourcing and time/effort,  but composite crafting is aesthetically pleasing, will see the “crafter” return, more trade, more vessels, more chance encounters, more pvp, pop grows, realm grows.

And on top of that…
Like @Wraith I’m dubious about the new damage model because there’s a very high risk it will oppress progression, whereas inverted DPS supports progression (it’s a “gamey” thingy).

Edited by BuckleUpBones
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

Just because one spends 13000 hours does not mean there is not a lack of content. I only stuck around because I have spent so much time in this game I just feel like horse crap if I drop it completely. Currently this is all I see:

PvE: Same as it always has been although slightly more rewarding in the current build.

PvP: Hard to come by with the population as it is and usually Patrol Zones are a hit or miss depending on which day, time, and zone it is. 

RvR: Absolute waste of time for a lot of people. Taxes with the current population and mechanics are too high for smaller to even medium size clans to manage placing timers on and since they cant place timers on the ports just avoid doing them altogether. 

Trading: Such a pain to find goods of decent value to sell and not as rewarding as once before in previous versions of the game. 

Crafting: Only thing I have enjoyed so far have been the changes to crafting. Simplify and rewarding. 

There is stuff to do in this game but over time it just becomes a repetitive grind much like what Sea of Thieves had prior to their free dlc content.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Teutonic said:

the nightflip/dayflip craziness is a player created problem. I won't go further down that pit other than to say I believe 2 things largely fix it.

1. higher server population
2. Actively recruiting players from different timezones for a fuller timezone coverage.

But yes, I believe Admin wanting the game hardcore for hardcore folks really turned off a lot of people. Still I do believe my points above would drastically support a better game and more player retention.

I agree that it's a player created problem, but your two points I simply can't agree to. When the server split happened Global server had an initial pop of around 800, it didn't stick. So a larger pop won't solve that issue. In regards to the age old argument that "recruiting" from different timezones would solve the issue? - well I believe global actually tried to settle the clans evenly and it still didn't take. The biggest issue there is the language barrier and secondly the cultural barrier. The global server has been tested ad nauseam but still didn't stick.

The problem is two things:

RvRs significance not just to points of access but to gameplay aspects as well. If a player could craft all he needed in order to perceive himself having a chance to be successfull in NA, in just a few or perhaps even a single OP, then losing ports in "the middle of the night" to a band of cowards too scared to take it in the light of day, wouldn't matter so much. The current deff timers has, to some degree, solved the losing of ports issue yet created another - deff timers for the sake of avoiding PBs all together, which takes me to the second issue.

Playernature. It is in the players nature to win by any means possible. We've seen this time and time again in NA and honestly in all games that has a competitive streak to it. Players will use nightflips endlessly if it means forcing the other team to stop playing, we saw this, players will refuse to fight if their perceived chance of winning is less than their chance of survival - regardless of how easy it is to make new ships. That's why raiders makes their ships fast, fast, fast - they want to be able to dictate the terms of the battle and if not in their favor - they run. Players nature need to be culled by ingame mechanics and I've stated before, there is no mechanic that will make a global server work. The current system with deff timers might work, with a much, much larger population where the US playerbase isn't huddled in the pirate or GB factions.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Return composite crafting and remove exorbitant crafting, both take equal amount of resourcing and time/effort,  but composite crafting is astatically pleasing, will see the “crafter” return, more trade, more vessels, more chance encounters, more pvp, pop grows, realm grows.

And on top of that…
Like @Wraith I’m dubious about the new damage model because there’s a very high risk it will oppress progression, whereas inverted DPS supports progression (it’s a “gamey” thingy).

I agree that the new damage model will basically send all 5th rate players into hiatus. Again.

What I'm strongly agreeing to is the composite crafting. First off - I agree that it's aethetically pleasing. But a more poignant argument is that it actually allowed new players into the crafting system. I started my crafting career selling my hours for 200 or so gold pr. LH. I got some small xp for crafting the parts, I got a small amount of gold to start of my glorius trading company, one that has been dormant since the recent econ changes that really changed nothing except the drop rate.. the underlying issue (that you're basically printing money for little to no risk or effort) remains.. My glorius trading company allowed me to keep myself furbished with ships, guns, upgrades (if I wanted to use them which I normally don't, the satifaction of making a clean skill based kill is just that much more rewarding)..

In short: Crafting used to be the lifeblood that made lots of players interested in crafting and it was the starting point of many players that has prob forgotten just how confusing the game was in the start and how hard it was to make gold for a newb.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

yea I felt bad.  He was quite literally on all day every day.  Only thing that kept him busy was making ship refits and he made a shit load of cash and just ended up quitting.  Game was no longer fun for him.  

Meanwhile the damage model is getting tweaked.  It's like changing the color of the curtains while the roof is leaking.

I hate that I agree with you..

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jodgi said:

Hmmm... I hope you guys can see that we're all over the place.

It's not that we're all over the place. It's the game all over the place and nowhere at the same time.

11 hours ago, Christendom said:

Lack of content

Slow Development going in circles.  

Questionable game design decisions

Blantent disregard for the US player base on PVP2 and PVP1 (to a lesser degree).  Let’s not forget the Aussies either.  

Repair meta and changes hurting casuals

Ship knowledge grind

——

A game lacking content gets boring with the same 500 players all peeing in the same pool over and over again.  

@Christendom and @Wraith are absolutely right in their posts. The developement going in circles coupled with the fact that game in 2019 feels the same like back in 2016 led to horrible playerbase drop ( plus like @Christendom said, absolutely terrible server decisions - I would add, keeping EU server as main after wipe - and I'm not an upset US player but EU ).

Going back to first @jodgi quote, the game offers some content but when you want to dive deeper into it you suddenly realise that it is very shallow.

Absolutely stunning, huge Carribean world is empty and doesnt offer any surprise to exploring player. Trading is just done for the cash without any chance to find a rare bonus that could sweeten all that sailing trader had to do. Combat is great but done for what reason? Money? EXP? How many times you can be doing the same battle when you get nothing usefull out of it? How many times you can fight the same renomee? RvR? What for? Ports that you dont even need? Crafting? Completely random and requiring loads of OP's if you want to be able to craft yourself a ship and equip it properly? Get yourself an alt? Missions that pay you nothing? Dubloons that you cant get on regular basis without a bit of luck? Admiralty that do not pay anything for captured or sunk enemy ships? PvP that feels like a duty not a pleasure and add to that without any meaningfull goal.

My question is: What is the purpose in playing this game? First you got leveling, expanding crafting and your wealth but then... What? Clicking 100 times craft hoping for a gold ship? Why would people do that? Why would people waste their time for this when there is so many other things to do? After hard mode patch you said @adminthat you going to respect players time. You're failing at it. Give us long term goal worth of staying in game and buying your dlc's supporting the servers and that beautifull dream that NA is.

How about:

- PvP, RvR ranks

- PvP, RvR, PvE, nation, trading, combat, crafting, sailing achievements paid by admiralty ( cosmetics, titles, special items)

- random interesting items for sale in NA ports (including refit, purple, gold ship producing items)

- interesting drops from defeating enemy ( like above )

- fast  ( can be flag mechanic ) port raids as group content

- named harder to beat NPC's that guarantee better ship or item

- reason to trait crafting, trading perks ( like increased chance for interesting items in NA ports, small extra bonuses to crafted ships )

- more reasons to sail schooners! ( and Rattlesnake - never enough )

I miss all those sails on the horizon of 2016 Naval Action.

• Like 5

These players can not recommend the game because its in an unfinished state... what they all want is a final and finished product, the development has been very long, sometimes painful for some, stick it out and see what happens, lets continue testing and watching for glitches.

We must remember that when we bought this game we all knew it was subject to much change... the original game in closed beta was only for testing damages and repaires, graphics and feeds. This game has come so far... and all these negative reviews are coming from players that I feel are caught up in the moment of the wipe or RVR change. We must look forward and continue testing.

I believe the majority of players that have left, have left because they tried the game, it was cool and fun, but they want to wait now for the finished product.

Others are just sore that they couldn't keep underdeveloped materials in game, they couldn't see past their gouted eyes that were blinded by their own passions for the game to be what they wanted, rather than the game the developers are designing.

Let us remember why we are here... to test the game, so lets test and report as we should.

• Like 2

the loss of player is a responsability shared by devs and the community. Gang to the death of a specific nation or young players is one of the things, but I wont come back on this. The other point is the lack of rules to organize nations resulting in frequent infighting on the nation chats, departure of clans and so on. The lack of maturity of some players with the absence of rules make chaos in many nation time to time, especially when defeats in PBs are frequents. Personnally I stop playing as soon as infighting between clans start, and the drop of population when a nation loose to much is exacerbed by the insults and fightings among players that want to impose their own strategies, dont respect alliances and so on. Most people play for fun and insults in the chats between players is not fun, chaos is not fun. Clear rules are needed to organize nations and politic.

And, I forgot to mention that also the attitude of GL in dealing with the tester community is a part of the story.

Basically the mood of Admin's answer in the past (I do not know if it changed lately) felt like "we are right, you are wrong" or "it's not true what you are telling". Point is critics are not true or false, right or wrong: they just show a part/feature of the game that someone is not liking and the reason why he does not like it (plus, sometimes, some possible solutions).

I also noted that, in the past (again, I do not know if this changed lately, since I do not dwell the forum as often as I did when I was still testing the game), several dedicated, but very critic, players had been banned for several days just for strongly criticizing some aspects of the game.

Finally, personally speaking, I was quite displeased by the double standard attitude used in the forum moderation, where supporters of the devs and some players (and even Admin himself and moderators) could bash hard on critic testers in any possible way, while the average joe and critic testers were shot down (having their posts removed or even being banned) as soon as they start critcizing hard or even also if they use some sharp irony. Also, the posts of the "special ones" were mostly always answered by Admin, while the posts of the others - even when contained argumented and constructive feedback - were mostly ignored.

Basically, if Devs wanted to (or shew they) listen  just to some testers, what they got is ending up with just those testers testing the game. It's quite easy to understand.

Edited by victor
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Christendom said:

Why are we working on an already good combat model?  I'm so baffled.      

When the current combat model was introduced many pvpers quit. If the current combat model is so good why did they leave? Same goes for economy. You're all expecting some magical patch that gives you more content bug there is nothing more than pew pew in battles and hauling stuff in open world. Adding a million more missions and nothing will change. It's the same shit different patch. Economy will never work be ai farming causes way to much inflation. Nothing costs anything. There are no gold sinks. Players make millions of gold and don't need to spend a cent on making stuff. Player producting buildings should be removed. Would force people to actually leave the safe zones and maybe even  handicap ZERG nations. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, admin said:

game after spending 13000 hours in it.

How does 13k hours of AFK sailing and empty ocean translates into content? How many hours sitting just in port and talking in chat? I felt like 200h in Skyrim gave me much more content in much shorter time and there was still much more to do there and explore. 

On top of that, when you get a time out, you get kicked to the login screen and steam continues to tick the hours. So I can go afk 6h, time out after 30 min and steam continues to count all the time even when you're not in the game. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HachiRoku said:

When the current combat model was introduced many pvpers quit. If the current combat model is so good why did they leave? Same goes for economy. You're all expecting some magical patch that gives you more content bug there is nothing more than pew pew in battles and hauling stuff in open world. Adding a million more missions and nothing will change. It's the same shit different patch. Economy will never work be ai farming causes way to much inflation. Nothing costs anything. There are no gold sinks. Players make millions of gold and don't need to spend a cent on making stuff. Player producting buildings should be removed. Would force people to actually leave the safe zones and maybe even  handicap ZERG nations. 

Add maintenance costs to ships, especially 1st rates, 2nd rates and 3rd rates.. Log out for a month? Your SoLs have turned to dust..

This game feels like a dancing club. There are people in it and there is some sort of apprehension for the party to start. The DJ keeps fiddling around with the sound system so there is no music. People are supposed to sing to get the party going. But they cannot agree on a song, not even on the type of music. Singing in different languages also does not quite help. At some point people are annoyed and just leave. 

Can't blame the party guests for the bad evening. 

Edited by van Veen
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, jodgi said:

It is an interesting question, isn’t it?

It sure is and we could argue all we wont, but there is one undeniable fact - player population is pretty much dead. Which means that despite all great suggestions and all hard work devs have put it, there is something that drives people away and/or does not attract new players.

Reasons for my personal disappointment 
When I first encountered NA I saw this game having a huge potential to turn into a gem.

Bellow was my view where this game should have been aiming and eventually become.

in the Core of the game
The game should have been aiming to reduce PVE content to a minimum slowly replacing PVE with PVP content.
This game was originally called a PVP game. This is how it attracted its INITIAL player base. So it was supposed to be a PVP. Even in trading or crafting.
This means that in proper PVP game anyone can attach anybody regardless their nation or religion. Its an open world sandbox after all. There should have been danger everywhere.
This means that proper PVP title will offer this thrilling freedom to act where everything becomes consequences of your actions which are truly shaping the world.

The game should in no shape or form control players let alone restrict from making a choice of any kind.
The game should encourage certain behavior and discourage other, but in no way it should put hard restrictions preventing players of doing something they want.

To keep players interest game should have targeted the following making the below interesting and entertaining as well as challenging:
a.) Character progression;
b.) Recreational activities;
c.) Competitive activities;
d.) End game content

West Indies territories and Nation mechanics
The way nations were portrayed in NA defined the whole RvR mechanic. IMHO players should not have been controlling the RvR on a nation level, but rather on a clan level.
Governors of the West Indies did not have power to decide if they will declare a war on another nation. They simply did what they were told by their royalty in Europe.
This would have been an excellent opportunity for the devs to incorporate on going store line through regular updates as well as "manually" balancing nations.

Clans and alliances
Players on the other hand could retain their affairs on a clan level no matter the nations giving them total freedom to act, but on a smaller scale that did not affect other clans of their nation.
Then diplomacy would have been run clan vs clan basis. Imagine you sail in OW and see this ship on the horizon. You dont know if he is your enemy or friend. Then you check his "standings" that were set by your clans diplomats and those would tell you who you are facing without even knowing the player personally.

Rules of Engagement and Honor Points
Anybody should have been able to attack anybody no matter clan or nation. Soon as the player sails out in the open world this means that he is completely exposed to attacks from anybody. Sounds harsh and scary right? Yes it is and this is what true PVP setting is all about and what makes you sit on the edge of your seat all your game time.

Clan Politics includes WAR, NEUTRAL, NON -AGRESSION and ALLIANCE statuses and simply tells players clan political standings against other clans. Breaking clan laws have only clan consequences decided by players themselves.

Nation Politics would have WAR, NEUTRAL or ALLIED statuses. Breaking national laws would flag you as a criminal against nation you have committed the crime. This attacking other players whos nation is at WAR with yours will not flag you as criminal. Attacking a player from Allied or your own nation will flag you as criminal.

When players has a criminal tag he becomes an open target for the nation against which he committed the crime.

Fortifications and patrols
These are NPC fleets that patrols the areas. The stronger nation's influence in the area the larger and stronger the patrols, e.g. capitals will have a largest and most numerous fleets defending their waters. NPCs can attack players on sight if players are enemy or criminals to the nation.

Conquest of territories
All nations have non captureable territories in close proximity to their capitals. That allow new players to learn and get comfortable with the game. Its also the place where less hardcore players can enjoy easier, safer environment.
Conquest is done on a clan level. Each captured port will needs to be build and fortified. The further away the captured port from the capital harder it is to protect, this making conquest non absolute.
Port battles is where there is an opportunity for an equal fight. Unlike OW RvR is done fair and square.

PB contain 2 battles. Screening and Land battle. Screening is a fight for points. Attackers must win screening battle in order to get access to the Landing battle.
In landing battle there should be fight with the port. There should be landing and fort capture.

Economy 
Hauling goods A to B is no economy. Its a joke really.
Economy is when all those trade goods are involved in crafting and all final goods crafted are used by players.

Right now there is only one consumable thing - ships.

There should such consumables as:

Cannonballs
Gun Powder
Canvas
Rigging
Rations
Musket bullets
Uniforms, clothing
Rum
Tobacco
etc etc All the above needed on regular basis as part of maintenance or consumable. Is craftable by players and is usable by players on a daily basis.

Ship building consists of few stages and many parts. End results vary. Exceptional ships rare, expensive and cannot be crafted by one crafter - there needs to be other crafters involved who is able to deliver exceptional quality parts. Those ships are not bias, but they are better and CAN give you an edge in a fight.

All parts of ships are built separately. Hull, rudder, masts, sails ect ect. Those parts can be combined or replaced from other ships, thus upgrading your ship with better parts from captured ships.

Skills
There are no perks. There are skills.
Skills are of two types: General (navigation, combat, wind prediction, expert carpenter ect) and Ship specific - turning, rigging ect)

Professions
Professions are separate skill trees that allows player to specialize in one thing. Crafting professions allows players to specialize in crafting one part of the ship with end result building a better or exceptional quality. For example top level sail master can craft best sails that are lighter and stronger then others. Of course those will be sought after by other crafters.
There should be such professions are bounty hunters (allowing tracking down specific players), trader - allows trading distantly, merchant - running extra trading ships in a fleet ect ect ect

Piracy
Pirates are not a nation. Its a social status. Each nation should have their own pirates. English pirates, french pirates etc. When pirates join nation and fight along side their nation they become privateers or corsairs of that nation. Otherwise they are outlaws to even their own nation with a permanent criminal tag.

Customization
This should start with a character portrait and finish with ship paints and ship names. I want to be able to name my ships.

Admiralty Store
If there is no model for devs to make $$$ then the game is doomed to be abandoned by the team.
F2P model works well. Dont charge monthly fee but make premium accounts which gives you bonus xp and gold rewards.
Admiralty store needs to sell cosmetics for the ships. Paints. Flags. Ship name plates ect
Cosmetics. XP boosters. Labor Hours ect

Leaderboard
We need proper killboard.
Who kill who, how much xp earned, damaged dealt ect. This is not just for the fame. This is also as a proof to certain actions players conducted against each other.

Content
As clans we need to be able to fortify our ports. Build NPC patrol fleet. Build docks, buildings that everyone may use. Pay maintenance for it. Charge taxation for using the facilities.
Clans needs proper clan management tools. Ability to charge clan mates a tax for trading or doing missions and these funds goes directly to clans account. We need ledger. We need customizable clan roles.
Players need story line. This Caribbean needs their Morgans, Captain Bloods, Drakes, Flints NPC characters that bring content, quests, exploration, missions ect. Right now its not a Caribbean its a Dead Sea.
What is end game content if RvR is dull, there is no economy and only 300 online players in average?

• Like 5

Why was the Caribbean so important to the Spanish, the British and eventually France, it was not a popular post, Nelson hated the place, more soldiers and sailors died from disease there than in any of the many wars between those nations. 

Before NA's timeline the Caribbean was a  waypoint for the vast wealth Spain was extracting from South and Central America, operating under Letters of Marque Frobisher, Raleigh, Drake and Hawkins knew they would find the treasure Galleons watering and resupplying in those waters so it was there they hunted them. His Most Catholic Majesty, King Philip II reasonably claimed it was piracy, legally, of course, it was not, but it was legalised theft, even if Her Britannic Majesty Queen Elizabeth I denied it all. Of course piracy existed even then so some of Spain's losses were due to those as well as the English privateers, thus began over 2 centuries of intermittent war between Spain and England. 

With the influx of settlers came the beginning of major exports of 'luxury' goods, Sugar which had been grown there for centuries, (King Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth I were both renowned for their 'sweet tooth') began, the distillation of Rum, (indeed the Royal Navy bought Rum in huge amounts), Bananas all fetched high prices in Europe, valuable trade which Navy's were charged to protect. The advent of Piracy in the Caribbean ensured that the European colonists demanded protection, and, with France now having her own assets as well it became a Powder keg with a very short fuse!

When the French, Spanish and British were not trying to eradicate the Pirates they were fighting each other as an over spill of the wars in Europe, the American Revolution/War of Independence,  were, in part, for the British and French another reason for fighting each other,  King Louis XVI's reasons for aiding the former colonies were not entirely altruistic, but without his intervention   America would be a vastly different nation than the one we see today. The few major battles in the area were all decisive for various reasons, and Admiral Villeneuve's transatlantic crossings in 1805 with Nelson in pursuit was the last major involvement of the great European powers before Trafalgar ensured British supremacy at sea. 

So how does this historical backdrop help us in NA?

There is the protection of trade, the bread and butter work of every Navy, why not add in trade routes to entrance/exit points on the map where players who trade can at least simulate trade with Europe making a profit while so doing?   This would encourage activity by players on the Western side of the map to operate in French Danish and Swedish waters, or for those nations to operate further East or North, trade interdiction is a  incentive for fleets to sail to protect or hunt, the routes would be known to all and assuming hunters can be bothered to hunt the routes, opens the the door to running into into either like minded players or  even convoys and groups of close and distant escorts. 

Some ports may also become more profitable, encouraging RVR and PB's, a highly profitable port for the taking not only provides incentive and content but also Causus Bellum. If the map were reset annually, there would be a winner of sorts, the nation that holds the most ports or makes the most profit will have won 'the war'

There are already plenty of unofficial 'alliances' between clans, even nations, occurring naturally within the game, nothing, aside from national considerations, in that a national clan cannot fight another clan of the same nation, stops small clans or nations coming together for a particular operation then returning to the status quo after completion of that mission, Popham's flag Code could be utilised for international communications, the flags meanings translated into all languages and the flag numbers used to communicate messages thus getting around the language barrier. It could, with different meanings, be used as as a clan and national codes as well, it would enable small clans to work with foreign speaking clans at international levels and improve the chances of smaller clans and nations achieving something at least, who knows, a small coalition of little nations could be a David slaying Golioth, and, if by beating 'Golioth' small clans and nations find they get more recruits, or, more people come into the game because of it, is that not good for the game in the long term?

• Like 1

I kinda regret this topic now. There has been some... discussion, but it has attracted so many posters that just came here to dump a turd smelling of discontent.

I touched on this in my previous post, but it's cringy to witness these besserwissers swooping in giving, often contradictory, "advice".

I'm not mad or riled up or anything... just... dejected.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jodgi said:

I kinda regret this topic now. There has been some... discussion, but it has attracted so many posters that just came here to dump a turd smelling of discontent.

I touched on this in my previous post, but it's cringy to witness these besserwissers swooping in giving, often contradictory, "advice".

I'm not mad or riled up or anything... just... dejected.

If you ask for other people's opinion on why they do not like a thing you like, you shall be prepared to face some displease. 

Maybe - instead of besserwissing the besserwissers (to tell it in gerglish :rolleyes:) - it's better that you just go on having fun with this "shrinked" MMO community ... until it lasts (I mean either your fun or the game).

Edited by victor

10 hours ago, Borch said:

- PvP, RvR ranks - PvP, RvR, PvE, nation, trading, combat, crafting, sailing achievements paid by admiralty ( cosmetics, titles, special items) I proposed achievements for doing specific things in the game, reward would be unlocked flags permanently or for a certain time (e.g: High Warlord/ Grand Marshall title in wow) never got a feedback on the suggestion

• Like 1