Game-Labs Forum
Hullabaloo

In Defence of Ganking

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

I hope you're right but his comments about how it's a big challenge to sink a snow in a cutter with the new model, and how much he loves that makes me worried. :(

Admin is a f****** casual, I wouldn't be too worried.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Palatinose said:

One of my biggest concerns is that the strange path, which has partly always been there will become more frequent: it is the one where captains try to level up as quickly as possible to get to the biggest ships. When they reach it, they want to discover more, but they completely forgot to learn sailing on that way. It could get even worse because of the possible SOL meta. 

The last few month there were many new players (esp brits, pirates, french, russians and spanish) who roamed the shallows and had lots of PvP, they gathered experience from the scratch. Perfect in my eyes. PvP right from the start, so you know the basics when you get to bigger ships. 

Hopefully I will be wrong, but it really could evolve that players learn pvping in bigger ships, which is harder and especially more expensive/frustrating.

You cant enter the shallows with lineships so that will continue happening.

I also think shallow ships arent the best to learn the most decisive aspects of the naval combat. I have seen many captains ok in shallow ships and quite bad in lineships. Shallow ships are the easiest ones due to speed and maneuverability and you can make decisions in the moment. Lineships works at a different pace, much more tactical approach and having to take always into consideration the wind. More than half of the shallow ships can go downwind and upwind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Where do you get 10 members?  :P I think you're underestimating the number of players/alts we have.

But this only happens when there is an extreme skill gap.  And that's what I really don't understand. Why would anyone want to narrow the ship gap when such an extreme skill gap will just exacerbate the outcomes experienced by the new and casual players?  Can anyone explain that to me?  I feel like everyone magically thinks that you put the less skilled player in a bigger ship and they'll fare better. (HINT: They won't when you're forcing the more skilled player to sail the same ship!)

I hope you're right but his comments about how it's a big challenge to sink a snow in a cutter with the new model, and how much he loves that makes me worried. :(

Just looking at the screenshots of your port battles.

However if you have more active players it means you will be able to lose even less first rates per member every day, which is a good thing. Althought it is clearly too many first rates.

About gaps, at least the skillful player will sink the noob one in a ship closer to his class. It will always look less pathetic in the result window.

Edited by Intrepido
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, staun said:

Think over the last 6 month, there have been numbers of demands to change mechanic, imo that would favor the elite players. Often the reason is not based on the belive that it gives a better gameplay, but because it is not fair and make the game unresonable.

I think that whoever needs protection in the game in any case are the new players. An elite player knows perfectly the mechanics, and if they have to change these, that it is for the benefit of all, not only of them. PvP carries the risk of you meeting a single enemy or being caught by a whole group. For me there is only combat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

You cant enter the shallows with lineships so that will continue happening.

I also think shallow ships arent the best to learn the most decisive aspects of the naval combat. I have seen many captains ok in shallow ships and quite bad in lineships. Shallow ships are the easiest ones due to speed and maneuverability and you can make decisions in the moment. Lineships works at a different pace, much more tactical approach and having to take always into consideration the wind. More than half of the shallow ships can go downwind and upwind.

Well I would highly doubt that shallow ships are the easiest, as this depends entirely on the player. Everything is faster, which means mistakes get payed off quicker. 

Ofc SOL combat is more of a fleet combat. The point I wanted to make is the following: shallow pvping is intersting but doesn't help you to quickly lvl up the last ranks. If the predicted meta will occur, people will spend less time in the shallows and rather more time grinding. 

If people spend less time in PvP and don't learn it slowly, they will have a harder time learning the difficulties of end game combat. Less basics = longer time for learning advanced stuff. 

It's my assumption, you don't have to agree to it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Intrepido said:

I have seen many captains ok in shallow ships and quite bad in lineships.

You just made that up to support your narrative.

• Like 1

All these gankers and haters... I prefer to call the ganking fleets "Patrol Groups", if a single player gets sunk outside of an enemy Capitol because he was sinking traders that were doing commerce there, and is sunk by two players... is the pirate ganked?

C'mon guys... we cant be nerfing our mechanics that allow us to protect waters while land is still in sight. Pirates generally like to use land marks for navigation anyway.

The loser generally feels ganked anyway. No matter what you do... the loser tends to say... at least the losers that don't understand... they say, damn, I got ganked, stupid gankers cant win without numbers... I got called a ganker a bit ago and I was by myself. I thought it was just silly. Maybe they just needed more practice is all.

Now seriously... ganking really is a bit of an issue, I suggest making more BR limits within a certain distant to land, but once outside that BR limit zone... free for all outside of sight of land, anyone could attack anyone out there after all.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:19 AM, van Veen said:

We need to protect the elite players.

Ummm… define the Elite. Elite combat players... or just elite economists. An elite fighter can escape from many foes. An elite player runs only that which he/she can replace readily. An elite player has plans for every situation and loses on their own account.

A lone merchant, on the War server,  loads up a light ship with cargo and heads off to sell the goods and make some Reals.   I like to do that and there is a certain excitement because there is some risk of attack.  There is zero danger from weather,  no danger from shoals or rocky shores, no sandbars or mud flats, and absolutely no chance of collision with another vessel.   If the ship is very small, the BR is likewise small. 

Are we seriously trying to create a game where any ship is immune from attack; near shore, or if there are multiple enemy, or  if the attacking ship is too powerful, or too weak?

I can imagine the conversation on the raider's deck as they see me sailing towards them.

Sail Ho Sir! It's an enemy ships sir!  Shall we beat to quarters?  Action Stations!?  Please sir, say yes, we have passed by last 12 ships"
" Hold on there laddie, call the pursuer, he'll help us calculate the battle rating and determine if we can engage.  The battle must be fair, competitive and sportsmanlike.  There is no point winning this war if we have to resort to ganking".

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Hullabaloo said:

In defence of ganking

(Sorry for new topic, I couldn't find the proper thread for this, and sorry its so long, i had a long sail :) )

Firstly, What is Ganking?

1. Sailing around in a large group looking for solo player or smaller group to sink them?
3. Sinking a noob?
4. Sinking a solo player 1v1 when you are in a vastly superior ship?

Actually I only consider these 3 ganking from your list... The first is lame unless it is also a war target... The 2nd it is hard to tell now until you in combat...  and the 3rd same as first.. Unless it is a trader since almost any warship is vastly superior to the smaller traders but traders are valid targets

On 2/20/2019 at 1:51 PM, Hullabaloo said:

I still say BR limits create more problems than they solve. Elite players sailing around in pimped ships with impunity slaughtering everyone who they meet. Legitimate protection of your ports impeded. Mechanics being exploited to bait/trick. New players confused and excluded from battles (and then killed outside). Mathematical calculations required to work out who can enter and who can't! (that's me hello kittyed). Rules, restrictions, limits. It's all too restrictive, exclusive, too complicated, open to exploit and stops legitimate game play. All because of these perceived gankers (I can't even remember the last time I lost a ship in battle I didn't choose to enter btw!). Gankers can be avoided and counter ganked you just have to learn how. As koltes pointed out, the bench mark here is Eve Online. Anyone can engage anyone, no limits, no ptw DLC, utterly ruthless = 15 years, 100s of thousands of players.

I like this. Whoever comes to the fight gets to fight. If you are getting counter ganked you'll see it immediately and might have a chance to then run away

The bad thing with our existing RoE is that you can attack with a ship with a slightly higher br than your opponent, but high enough to let other players join on enemy's side. Near the end of an exhausting battle someone joins in a superior ship and sinks you. This cannot be what was intended. It takes much fun out of the game and is in my eyes the "bad" ganking, since you have no chance to estimate the risk before starting the battle. 

If a superior fleet attacks and sinks my ship, it is ok, if i can see them in OW before the battle. 

Therefore I suggest to remove the 25min timer to remove the main ganking factor we have today.

Some good thoughts about ganking and BR restrictions in RoE! Sadly devs dont hear in this ... currently RoE arent a " success" they are a Walker for Elite Player groups ... they can tag a player outside His Capital and be sure they worst that can happen to them is an even fight ... Which they can win easily because they are elite Players in shiny ships against noobs trying to save another noob ... 😭🤣

I joined NA in August.

I don’t have a problem if ganked. 

For me it’s all part of it.

I’m confident with a clan and that in time I will deal with those that like to gank.

What goes around comes around.

Cheers all 🍻

• Like 2