Game-Labs Forum

too many nations?

1 hour ago, admin said:

GB does not care unfortunately.

What should we do? Tell people to leave the nation because we are full?

@Christendom, @Gregory Rainsborough and I already made GA switch nations ("66 very active rvr players" - quote from a GA member).

Player imbalance is a problem due to low online numbers. Higher pop will naturally bring more players interested in pvp and rvr.

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

And lose a lot of players in the process.

Lose-lose situation for ALL the server.

I think Admin intention is - Big nation can conquer as much as to reduce the "hardcore nations" back to Shroud Cay ( technically they are back in europe ). Not totally removal of the nation.

That's how i read it.

Just now, Hethwill said:

I think Admin intention is - Big nation can conquer as much as to reduce the hardcore nations back to Shroud Cay.

We tried it last year with the Poles. Captured Saint Louis and Les Cayes (inofficial Commonwealth capital) and we wanted to continue. Server didn't like it :(

Just now, Batman said:

We tried it last year with the Poles. Captured Saint Louis and Les Cayes (inofficial Commonwealth capital) and we wanted to continue. Server didn't like it :(

Maybe try it with the strongest hardcore nation first rather than the weakest ? Dunno... just an idea.

Plus yeah "server didn't like it" means absolutely nothing and if other nations don't like it, then they go on the path of war themselves.

oh my... the meta problems are bigger than the metas.... my head hurts...

• Like 3

Like @AeRoTR said, i like the idea of a "Starter Nation". If making a starting nation is too much work, then what about every new Account gets one Forged Paper in redeemables? This way the new player can learn about the nation and switch nation, without deleting his character. If he wants to change nation again, he has to buy the DLC.

Just an idea.

Edited by Roronoa Sensei
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Maybe try it with the strongest hardcore nation first rather than the weakest ? Dunno... just an idea.

Maybe Sheep shouldn't have poked the Lion several times. Lion told sheep to stop poking. Sheep didn't stop poking.

But that's in the past now.

9 minutes ago, Batman said:

All because of that moderating ganking me and sinking my trinco. I think that is the first nation to be destroyed for a single ship right? 

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Maybe Sheep shouldn't have poked the Lion several times. Lion told sheep to stop poking. Sheep didn't stop poking.

But that's in the past now.

Wasn't that just PVP kills next to the fort.  Kinda like GB was waiting for an excuse to do it.  Not that I care mind you.

The closing or "merging" of nations needs to happen from the devs.  Some folks are too caught up in their nationalism or whatever to leave and would rather quit than move.  The game does not benefit in this situation.  Also the fact that it costs 15 bucks to move doesn't help.  Folks have a hard time swallowing 15 bucks for a DLC to change natons in a game that hasn't been released.    Just my 2cents.

Not even going to bother reading the replies.

Yes, too many (and might I add COMPLETELY unhistorical nations).

I love the irony that the developers consider it the epitome of history to require a sextant perk to know where you are, but also think it's perfectly acceptable to have the Caribbean flooded with Russians, Poles, and Prussians - to say nothing of pirates just being another country with a flag.

• Like 4

Just now, Lord Robert Calder said:

I love the irony that the developers consider it the epitome of history to require a sextant perk to know where you are, but also think it's perfectly acceptable to have the Caribbean flooded with Russians, Poles, and Prussians - to say nothing of pirates just being another country with a flag.

100%

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Nobody cares about your trincos. Never did.

@NethrosDefectus maybe will explain what happened if he gets unbanned, lol.

I know. He was one of us getting ganked. It was 3-4 of us vs 15 poles. They ganked us and we took the port in revenge. That was the only reason nethros even came to a port battle. Back then he only sailed around la mona. You would not know since you never really did anything except complain on ts about how dead the game is. 

2 hours ago, admin said:

GB does not care unfortunately. GB and Pirates are always were and will always be most numerous nations. They were 50%+ with 8 nations and are 50%+ with 11. adding new nations will not change the % of players rolling Britain and Pirates.

i know exactly what would happen if you removed the disney pirates and added the actual hardcore pirate faction :D

1 hour ago, Roronoa Sensei said:

Like @AeRoTR said, i like the idea of a "Starter Nation". If making a starting nation is too much, then what about every new Account gets one Forged Paper in redeemables? This way the new player can learn about the nation and switch nation, without deleting his character. If he wants to change nation again, he has to buy the DLC.

Just an idea.

maybe let the player have a chance to join any clan from any nation asswell? flagged as neutral player or something and be able to try out RVR in either frigates for bigger battles, mortar brig or shallow ships

IMO we need more ships from each of the nations we have. People might truly want to sail ships from certain nations and will join those. Personally, I keep hoping for some Dutch SoLs and frigate love. Zeven Provinciën, Staaten Generaal, Batavier, etc please. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

IMO we need more ships from each of the nations we have. People might truly want to sail ships from certain nations and will join those. Personally, I keep hoping for some Dutch SoLs and frigate love. Zeven Provinciën, Staaten Generaal, Batavier, etc please. :)

Planned in 2119....😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batman said:

What should we do? Tell people to leave the nation because we are full?

@Christendom, @Gregory Rainsborough and I already made GA switch nations ("66 very active rvr players" - quote from a GA member).

Player imbalance is a problem due to low online numbers. Higher pop will naturally bring more players interested in pvp and rvr.

There is no player imbalance.
Also british and pirates were 60% of the population on release (with 2500 online). Keep calm and rule the seas.

• Like 3

The core nations should be: Great Britain, Spain, Dutch and the French. Pirates should be Merchants and NOT a faction. If you want to become a pirate, you can, simply go out hunting for players~NPCs and there, you're a pirate. If you want to become a privateer (even though you are a neutral player), you should be able to go to a nation's capital and get a letter of marque with doubloons, in that case, you will be able to join PBs~RvRs of that said nation.

Pirates should be the most hard core nation in the game. They shouldn't be able to craft 1st and 2nd rate ships, but could capture 3rd rates. They shouldn't have a capital, but could buy upgrades and other items that you can only obtain in an Admiralty by simply sailing to a national capital under a merchant flag and buy it like he was a part of that nation. If you wanna fly the black, you won't be able to do these things. Pirates should be able to capture neutral and free towns (even under a nation's flag), for example. If Great Britain captured La Tortue (being a free town), Pirates could raid it and capture it and it would be marked as a free town again, being governed by the players that captured it.

Being a privateer or privateering for a nation would give you a few benefits like access the admiralty like a naval officer, we could have quests to plunder merchant ships from enemy nations and capture ships to bring back to the admiralty, getting big rewards for that.

Also, the neutral "faction" could potentially have all the flags (Russian flag, Prussian flag, Polish flag, Portuguese flag, Barbary pirate flags, pirate flags, merchant flags, anything that isn't core nation-related). So if you want to fly your country's flag, simple be a free captain in the West Indies, it makes way more sense than having 11 nations splitting the whole playerbase even further.

Free captains should be able to attack each other, making clan vs clan really efficient. This would increase few contents to the game. Quests; if an area around a free town/neutral port is being constantly under attack by pirate ships, merchants could potentially put out a contract at a nation's capital for core-nation players to sail out, patrol the area and take out the evil forces that are harrassing merchant ships at that area. Being a free captain, you won't have enemies at first, but the second you attack an NPC or player from a core-nation, you'll become a pirate and you will have that nation as your enemy, until you get captured (having to pay a big fee to be released). If you simply get sunk in a battle, you will return to an outpost and still remain as a pirate. The surrender option in a battle could potentially make you pay your dues to the law and return to the world as a free captain again.

So neutral faction could potentially lead to 3 different play styles;

Neutral Faction

Merchant

Privateer                                                                                        Pirate

Ranks        Required XP  Crew Size   Largest ship

Merchant                                                                                                                 Privateer                                                                                             Pirate                              

Voyager           0                    40             Cutter                     Navigator          0             40           Cutter                                    Unknown Cap'n         0               40          Cutter           

Explorer         500                 60         Privateer                    Sea Captain    500           60         Privateer                                 Sea Cap'n                 500             60       Privateer

Seller             1000              120            Snow                      Mercenary       1000         120           Snow                                    Plunderer               1000           120         Snow

Supplier         1500              150        Niagara                     Royal Hunter  1500         150         Niagara                                  Murderer                1500           150       Niagara

Trader            3000              200        Cerberus                   Corsair            3000         200        Cerberus                                 Black Flag              3000            200      Cerberus

Entrepreneur 5000             280         Surprise                    Renowed Cor.5000         280        Surprise                                  Feared Cap'n          5000            280      Surprise

Merchant       10000           400         Trinco                        Privateer       10000        400         Trinco                                      Pirate                    10000            400      Trinco

Renowed Mer. 20000        650         3rd Rate                     Renowed Priv. 20000    650         3rd Rate                                  Pirate King            20000            650      3rd Rate

Edited by Portuguese Privateer
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Robert Calder said:

Those pesky invaders
You should file a complaint with the Admiralty or the house of lords. As a lord you already knew importance of colonies, so as other nations are slowly recognizing that. If you do not like other nations sending fleets to take your colonies you should maybe declare war on them? 

There are no unhistorical nations there are just unhistorical wars. Which COULD happen. We are not going to change the number of nations and the number of nations (impossible) will not go down and might tend to go up. I have heard Qing Dynasty roleplayers are extremely eager to take revenge on the GB under the dragon flag.

• Like 12