Game-Labs Forum

Wasa can't be slower than the Bellona

31 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

why "Wasa needs to be faster" and not "Bellona needs to be slower" ?

Maybe you're right. I had not thought about it. In any case, it makes no sense for the Wasa to be slower than the Bellona.

thinking a little more, I think you're right.

Edited by dafftan

Considering how light Wasa is, there should be some real difference between 3rd Rate/Bellona and Wasa

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

why "Wasa needs to be faster" and not "Bellona needs to be slower" ?

Because Christian?

2 hours ago, OjK said:

Considering how light Wasa is, there should be some real difference between 3rd Rate/Bellona and Wasa

Because Christian?

Wind + canvas make ships move at speed.

Hence ships speeds.

:) 

Maybe all big boys move too fast. Simple equation.

A light ship does not make a fast ship. Perhaps a larger more heavier ship carrying nothing would sit higher in the water thus having less drag in the water. Or a lighter ship were carrying heavy cargo/guns and sit far lower in the water. If you can calculate the drag of the Wasa in the water given it's ratio of gun and store weight vs it's speed without it then you may have an argument assuming you add in to the equation the drag between different ships. 

17 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Wind + canvas make ships move at speed.

Hence ships speeds.

:) 

Maybe all big boys move too fast. Simple equation.

Sorry mate but that statement is just wrong. If only wind and sails determined the speed of a sailing vessel than ships going before 24 knot winds would be sailing at 24 knots. However they don't.

The top speed of any object moving along the surface of a liquid is determined by the turbulence it creates in said liquid because of it's drag. In case of a ship that is the combination of it's bow wave and it's wake.

Above a certain threshold (the maximum hull speed), if you put more energy into the ships sails (e.g. stronger wind) it results in the bow wave becoming higher instead of faster. So the ship will keep it's original speed but will heave much more. So whether the Wasa would be quicker than the Bellona depends on it's underwater lines much more than on the sail plan.

Don't get me wrong i share your opinion that SoLs should be slower. In terms of balance and giving every ship it's niche I think making the Wasa faster in realtion to the Bellona is the way to go. Also yes: Hold size of the Wasa is atrocious :D

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, OjK said:

Because Christian?

I think the christian is very fast too. But that's normal. The christian is a new ship, and devs are used to putting new ships overpower. then they usually change it.

It's what happens with all new ships usually.

You misunderstand me. Hull size, length, shape and balance of stuff stuck inside it do affect :) 

Looking at the game itself there's several things that aren't in, like shifting gravity point, stern heavy, bow heavy, and so on. A lot of stuff.

But is a game and All ships are too fast, even schooners :) 

• Like 1

I agree with respecting the physical properties of the ship. However, I think it's just as important to see the playability and the utility that each ship can give to the game.

Sorry for not giving enough arguments, and speaking little. I'm not English speaking, so it's really hard for me to express myself. Everything I write is basically extracted from google traslator.

Edited by dafftan