Game-Labs Forum

Upgrade levels

Why not copy the gears system from Diablo III into this game. White/grey: standard item - Green: slightly improved - Blue: rare - Purple: epic - orange: legendary. At least that would give a purpose to looting the enemy - and a needed risk assessment, for going into battle with an enemy.

The chance for purple and orange should be rare.

Example: Trim - Turning 4-5th:

Gray: Max speed: -2% Ship turn rate 4%

Green: Max speed: -2% Ship turn rate 5%

Blue: Max speed: -2% Ship turn rate 6%

Purple: Max speed: -2% Ship turn rate 6% + 1 more affix

Orange: Max speed: -2% Ship turn rate 6% + 2 more affix

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Doing 5 slight variations of 1 upgrade doesn't add to the game.
We already have too many versions of mods.

Yeah but looting the same version over and over again is just boring. So you think there should only be one type ship variation too - no purple or golden ones? 

2 minutes ago, Azenya said:

Yeah but looting the same version over and over again is just boring. So you think there should only be one type ship variation too - no purple or golden ones? 

So you'd rather loot the crappy version of the upgrade over and over again until you get the regular one. That's not adding anything, that's splitting up what you have and turning it into RNG lootbox gamblers fallacy BS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slim McSauce said:

So you'd rather loot the crappy version of the upgrade over and over again until you get the regular one. That's not adding anything, that's splitting up what you have and turning it into RNG lootbox gamblers fallacy BS.

The regular one is the lowest one - so why not have a hope in getting a better version - this may also boost the purpose of reals! The game is RNG is every aspect anyways!

10 minutes ago, Azenya said:

The regular one is the lowest one - so why not have a hope in getting a better version - this may also boost the purpose of reals! The game is RNG is every aspect anyways!

At best you can advocate for 2 tiers of upgrades, but that's it. 5 Versions of 1 upgrade is pure redundancy.

Edited by Slim McSauce

6 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

At best you can advocate for 2 tiers of upgrades, but that's it. 5 Versions of 1 upgrade is pure redundancy.

Are you a developer? I can ask for 100 versions of the same thing, hence this thread! That is the problem with this game - too many gods who know just what is right. Make a better suggestion or be more constructive.

Just now, Azenya said:

Are you a developer? I can ask for 100 versions of the same thing, hence this thread! That is the problem with this game - too many gods who know just what is right. Make a better suggestion or be more constructive.

I hear what you're saying, I did suggest 2 tiers instead of 5. The more you can do with less the better :)

1 hour ago, Azenya said:

Its so easy shooting suggestions down. So be constructive or gtfo!

Yes it is easy to shoot down suggestions. I didn't come here to be a smartass but I truly find the rare and fantastic upgrade system objectionable. Some people think grinding bots for items is content, to me it is a puncture wound to the main artery.

It's just my unpopular opinion.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Yes it is easy to shoot down suggestions. I didn't come here to be a smartass but I truly find the rare and fantastic upgrade system objectionable. Some people think grinding bots for items is content, to me it is a puncture wound to the main artery.

It's just my unpopular opinion.

So you are fine with the way it is?

Human character has a lifelong interest in perfecting oneself and the things he uses (or he has given up). Hence the popular interest in MMO's grinding mechanism - improvement - improvement - gratification!

And the more intricate the improvement with related hunt for improvement tools is, the longer a game will stay interesting. Beyond the fundamental topic of sailing ships and doing battles with them. So yes, fleshing out existing upgrades and books with sub-versions in quality does help. If the name stays the same and just the associated color denotation system for distinguishing quality of the same tells you what version you got (just like with ships), it will not confuse anyone, not even new players.

38 minutes ago, Wraith said:

LOL, just because someone's opinion runs counter to yours doesn't mean they aren't being constructive. 

We've already had multiple levels in our upgrades and all it did was ratchet up the grind even more than it already is.  Until we could dupe mods willy nilly (remember those good ol' days?) then those of us with Gold Marines, Gold Powder Monkeys, etc. had all the advantages, etc. It's been lessened somewhat and in my opinion there should be some grind, and loot is a good psychological motivator, but having that as the sole motivation to go out and do some NPC battles is dumb. 

Instead, you should be calling for tighter integration between NPC battles and enemy nation economy and RvR. Make those battles matter. The slots/experience you're grinding on ships is grind enough. 

It almost sounds like you want me to return to the PvP server? I'm on the PvE server where only the NPC and its loot is in focus. I'll never return to the ganking and the rule of the nation with most players.

Edited by Azenya

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Oooh, you're one of those.  Have fun with that. I sincerely don't understand why you guys even bother with the lack of PvE content... Increasing the grind isn't going to make it any better, you really need to be demanding out-of-the-box thinking for better PvE content (trading, crafting, PvE-based-warfare ala raids, admiralty-generated nation-conquest goals, etc.).  You could be doing much better than increasing the grind, and that would benefit both PvE and PvP servers.

Ohh we could go on all night with why we play on different servers. I hate that the devs encourage to ganking, which is why I don't play on the PvP server. (and the toxic chat, in where you fit right in). I don't care about PvP'ers view on the PvE server. 

The best option is to merge the servers and make PvP something you turn on/off, and severely moderate the chat. 

Not everything else. Just stop and think about it whole :)

But... That's why many good folk suggested for all books, for example, to be accessible by everyone in the admiralty, on exchange for doubloons for example. No rng except the quantities that the player wins. No rng drops of books :)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Azenya said:

And you play Naval Action because then? Everything is RNG!

You can buy everything from other players.

But seriously we had gray, green, blue, purple and yellow upgrades before, that level was replaced by a larger selection of upgrades with different specs. If you have fewer upgrades in different versions or if you just have a lot more of them with different specs , it is the same.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

You can buy everything from other players.

But seriously we had gray, green, blue, purple and yellow upgrades before, that level was replaced by a larger selection of upgrades with different specs. If you have fewer upgrades in different versions or if you just have a lot more of them with different specs , it is the same.   

It is the same, there's almost no difference between having 5 version of muskets and having 2. It's a great way to trick your mind into thinking you're creating content, when really you're taking what you have and splitting it multiple ways creating a sort of gap that feigns progression.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1