Game-Labs Forum

Where did the NPC's go?

Hello,

The only fun thing about this game is the battles - the rest is just boring and an annoyance, because it has no real purpose - like why would you trade? Reals are useless, and so are doubloons. I find myself getting annoyed, that I have to sail around for 30-45 mins to find a target, that I can attack. I just came back to the game some two weeks ago, and are already considering leaving again, because of the lack of action. 

Also, I don't get why you don't get XP for completing missions - remove the doubloon reward, as we get more from looting the ships, and make it XP -until you reach the highest rank. 

Where are the multiplayer missions? Sailing alone is just boring - the fun part is in a battle group.

I am somewhat disappointed, that after this many years, the game has developed so little.  

• Like 1

I think if you join a mission with more than one ship, there will spawn the same number of ships as you joined with, wheter its a fleet ship or another player. I once joined a mission with an Indiaman (forgot that i have it on fleet) and there spawnt a second ship. I dont know how its now (this happend right after the new UI entered live servers). But i believe you can see this as "multiplayer missions".

4 minutes ago, Roronoa Sensei said:

I think if you join a mission with more than one ship, there will spawn the same number of ships as you joined with, wheter its a fleet ship or another player. I once joined a mission with an Indiaman (forgot that i have it on fleet) and there spawnt a second ship. I dont know how its now (this happend right after the new UI entered live servers). But i believe you can see this as "multiplayer missions".

Well that the ships get multiplied is no real multiplayer is it? No, you join a battle group and take a mission, where all player get a reward - that is a multiplayer mission. 

41 minutes ago, Azenya said:

Hello,

The only fun thing about this game is the battles - the rest is just boring and an annoyance, because it has no real purpose - like why would you trade? Reals are useless, and so are doubloons. I find myself getting annoyed, that I have to sail around for 30-45 mins to find a target, that I can attack. I just came back to the game some two weeks ago, and are already considering leaving again, because of the lack of action. 

Also, I don't get why you don't get XP for completing missions - remove the doubloon reward, as we get more from looting the ships, and make it XP -until you reach the highest rank. 

Where are the multiplayer missions? Sailing alone is just boring - the fun part is in a battle group.

I am somewhat disappointed, that after this many years, the game has developed so little.  

you will find a lot of NPCs on open world, so not hiding in missions anymore. sail around in enemy areas. leave your safezone. have fun.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Salty Sails said:

you will find a lot of NPCs on open world, so not hiding in missions anymore. sail around in enemy areas. leave your safezone. have fun.

I guess you need to be unemployed to have that kind of time. I am sailing in enemy waters - and still I only find one or two ships to attack in a two-hour play session - which is all I have time for, with job - family and other interests. So if the game has found the balance of NPC spawn - then this game is not for me.

That might also explain why there are only 2-300 players in the game.

Edited by Azenya
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Salty Sails said:

in what region your are sailing, because nps, will only spawn if there is a player activity in that area. as far as i know.

I'm DK-NO and I sail the Swedish and French isles and I also have a base in La Mona.

26 minutes ago, Jake Newport said:

Set up an outpost in the bahamas. Shroud cay or something there. Plenty of small ships, plenty of players. You can trade if you want, do pve and pvp in pretty inexpensive ships

PvP on the PvE server? That's new!

Are you on the War Server?

NPC frigates on north coast of Venezuela and south coast of Cuba. A lot of NPC in the shallow waters of the Bahamas. Larger NPC ships down around Bridgetown and south. Mixed NPC fleets all around Guaryaguara (sp?). Alot of others around as well. However, around Sweden and France the ports are close together and it will be dangerous for you to hunt AI in that area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

Are you on the War Server?

NPC frigates on north coast of Venezuela and south coast of Cuba. A lot of NPC in the shallow waters of the Bahamas. Larger NPC ships down around Bridgetown and south. Mixed NPC fleets all around Guaryaguara (sp?). Alot of others around as well. However, around Sweden and France the ports are close together and it will be dangerous for you to hunt AI in that area.

NO! I'm  on the Peace Server - but thanks.

I just sailed for about 20 minutes through an area with lots of ports, of various nations, and saw dozens of NPCs. Sometimes I could see a half dozen at once, all around me. Some with fleets (mostly small, 1 or 2 ships) and some solo NPCs.

Earlier I sailed for hours, deep inside Britian's home waters, and saw only a few.  Saw only 3 foreign ships near Jamaica today.  Saw none from Jamaica almost to the Yucatan.

Agree with you Azenya. There has been a few words exchanged on this topic with @admin on latest patch feedback topic, and they assure that the only change ever made regarding this is that ship spawn location has been spread out a bit more on their route.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:36 PM, admin said:

There is the same number of NPC ships as it was on release in 2019. The only fix that happened is the following - previously bots were spawning at the same place if attacked (allowing non stop camping of the fleet). Now they spawn in a different place on the same route (but not at the same spot). 

Sounds a lot like a "working as intended" answer, which is sad for the PvE population.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:12 AM, Macjimm said:

Earlier I sailed for hours, deep inside Britian's home waters, and saw only a few.  Saw only 3 foreign ships near Jamaica today.  Saw none from Jamaica almost to the Yucatan.

If the Brits want enemy AI in their waters, they need to drop some of the ports that are close to home and let other nations own them.  There is now a huge area around Jamaica (and other areas) that is all Brit.  This means no AI hunting for them.  I don't understand what they think they have accomplished by keeping all these ports. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I don't understand what they think they have accomplished by keeping all these ports. 

Rights of Trade and Resources, at the very bottom line.

Easy to saturate a port with goods and as easy to empty one of any goods when a nation is overpopulated, so the more options the better.

This may seem trivial to long term testers that hoarded huge amounts of goods, resources, ships and all necessary riches but for the new testers than are joining it is of paramount importance as they are learning the game with the new realities - no trade route is infinite nor guaranteed.

To a point, conquering ports ( and closing them to other competitors ) is protecting trade and ensuring monopoly of resources - very 18th century age of sail.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

If the Brits want enemy AI in their waters, they need to drop some of the ports that are close to home and let other nations own them.  There is now a huge area around Jamaica (and other areas) that is all Brit.  This means no AI hunting for them.  I don't understand what they think they have accomplished by keeping all these ports. 

But is this not a wrong way to motivate people to do RvR, the more successful a nation is in taking ports the more their newer players struggle to find AI fleets to attack? GB is currently the strong RvR nation but this has not always been the case and other nations have held this position. Why should a nation have to drop ports just so they can get AI on their doorstep to attack.

Personally I think the changes that were made to AI distribution were a negative step for the game, most AI fleets no serve no purpose and are just a waste of server processing power as they spawn in areas where they will not be attacked and they are not much good for defensive purposes either as the tag circles are small and you literally have to be ontop of an AI fleet to have them in battle with you if you get attacked. Yes, it may reflect more of the reality of how it would have been, but at the end of the day how many other things have been overlooked in terms of reality because they did not fit in with this being a game.

I agree that people sitting on the dock just farming AI fleets in the green zones is not what we need in game, but some form of easier access to AI fleets is required for newer players leveling up and farming books.

• Like 1

Was the old system of AI distribution all that bad?  I agree that it was unrealistic to have enemy AI around KPR, but we're not always tied to full realism, are we?  There seems to be far more heartache over the lack of AI to hunt than there ever was with the old distribution.  Players who want to sit in a SOL at a port and dash out for AI can still do it.  They just do it at other open ports.  As always, its their game.  If that's how they want to play, more power to them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:02 PM, Archaos said:

I agree that people sitting on the dock just farming AI fleets in the green zones is not what we need in game, but some form of easier access to AI fleets is required for newer players leveling up and farming books.

So the way that you play the game is the right one - that's a bit arrogant, don't you think?

Still, this post initially was about the Peace server, as neither port battles or PvP ganking exist there. 

5 hours ago, Azenya said:

So the way that you play the game is the right one - that's a bit arrogant, don't you think?

Still, this post initially was about the Peace server, as neither port battles or PvP ganking exist there.

Hardcore advocates do and always try to derail fellow EA Peace Server testers.

War and Peace Servers are or should be completely different and have completely different type of player playing on them.

The War Server needs less NPCs so players are tracking each other, thus creating pvp conflict and resource competition, it's what they want, players are the content.

The Peace Server needs more NPCs so players are tracking NPCs, all the time and with every single journey, the exact opposite of the other server, NPCs are the content.   

Lots of testers have posted the need for more NPCs, hopefully @admin will listen to you and every other Peace Server player and make it so.

Edited by Guest