Game-Labs Forum

Ship's position at twelve o'clock

Hello there,

I would like to propose an idea. I don't like the current magic sextant perk that show the position of your ship in every moment, take off the romance of determine the position with triangulation. But historically, ships at twelve o'clock, in the period of this game can use sextant to determine their position.

My proposal is to show on the map the position of the ship only at twelve o'clock, not of the real life time but ingame time obviously. I think it can be a good compromise.

Sorry for my poor english.

Good wind to all

• Like 6

Better solution: if you like the challenge of navigating without your location fix, don't equip sextant perk, there are plenty of other options :)

Let the rest of the players who don't want to deal with the annoyance of using outside applications to find out where they are have their GPS perk. Majority of players I speak with prefer it that way because we feel Naval Action's strongest part is fighting battles, and the weakest part is OW sailing and econ/trading.

I've played when we had no navigational tools, then the grid squares and coords, then nothing but trader tool & compass, and now sextant perk. I think sextant perk is by far the best system of those, and it should keep new players happy because they won't get lost and frustrated. If a player decides a more immersion/roleplaying game is for them, they can turn off the perk. Everybody can be happy. 

• Like 5

A perk for sextant? Still doesn't make sense.
Pinpoint GPS position? I thought we were getting rid of  that
It works at the bare minimum. There is no GAME to it, so it adds nothing to the experience.
I'd rather have a sextant mini-game that you can use every hour or so, as a standard feature.
More realistic, more authentic to the world than a perk.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 3

The perk is basically a waste, any sailor worth his salt can triangulate his position with the magical traders tool.........

If we are going to have a pos on the map:

I think the sextant perk should be a natural part of having taken a captains exam, and not a waste of points. And I agree with OP, only add that the pos should be inscribed on the map and only deleted once safely returned to port.

Other than that - just remove the perk, it's redundant.

I would love to have the ship's co-ordinates shown at noon, beside the time.  The co-ords should be also be unavailable  on heavy cloud days and available during starry nights.  The players that find it too complex can use the sextant perk and look at the GPS icon on the in game map.  The players that are confused by the co-ords, shown beside the date and time, can just not look too closely at the numbers.  Or the co-ords could be optional and turned off clientside in options, or they could bound to a key.

I like the current sextant linked to a perk because then I'm not forced to see it.  If the GPS icon is on everyone's in game map, then there will be no navigation for those that enjoy doing it.  

If we dumb down sailing too much, it will become unbearably boring.  Currently we can use many methods to determine our position with some very simple arithmetic and the in-game map.  There are other methods using third party maps.  When the Devs remove F11 and the trader tool, we will only be able to determine/measure the ship's position, away from landmarks, with dead reckoning.  If the GPS icon is forced on everyone, navigation by measure, will not be possible with the ingame map.

Imagine if there was a flashing light on the horizon that shows the direction to sail towards your destination:  It would be reasonable for each player be able to turn the flashing light off, in options.  So those players that don't like it are not forced to look at it.

Keep the GPS icon as a perk, or make it optional to display the GPS icon.

Edited by Macjimm
Speling

After your reflections, i think the current sextant perk can remain for player that don't want problems and i think is correct that this comfort must be paid in terms of perk point. But my idea was for when the devs remove F11 coordinates and trader tool. I think the players that don't want use the magic perk and see GPS position on the map must have something (possibly historically correct) to see at certain conditions their position. Twelve o'clock ship point is my idea, or the mini-game proposed by @Slim McSauce

• Like 2

Anything that would remove GPS marking or maybe be available to all without a perk would be a good change.

Maybe some middle ground, like on demand dead reckoning?

Imagine You want to check Your position. You start the dead reckoning process, and after 5-10 sec You get approximate dead reckoning position. Of course, with some error margin.

If You'd like to verify Your position precisely using sextant or any other nav tool, it would took You much longer (30 sec timer with full stop required?) Then it wouldn't be exploited for revenge fleets and counter ganking.

With this way, we wouldn't need perk - everyone could have that basic navigation

• Like 3

I like the idea of a noon position. Perhaps could be reduced to a noon latitude (no clock available). 

More importantly, please bring back latitude and longitude lines to the map! Sea charts without latitude and longitude lines are just pictures. 

Edited by van Veen
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, OjK said:

Imagine You want to check Your position. You start the dead reckoning process, and after 5-10 sec You get approximate dead reckoning position. Of course, with some error margin.

I don't think that means what you think it means.  Dead reckoning is the process of tracking your course and speed on a chart from your point of origin. It is not something you can begin from mid-journey.  It does require a decent chart however, which we don't have in game.  A terrific mini-game for us would in fact be conducting dead reckoning on a chart with grid lines and a scale (scale is mandatory).  I dread the loss of Traders tool and F11 because there has yet to be any hint of a replacement.  I often log off in OW and when I log on, I need a quick peak at Traders tool to fix myself. 

• 5 months later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:36 AM, van Veen said:

I like the idea of a noon position. Perhaps could be reduced to a noon latitude (no clock available). 

More importantly, please bring back latitude and longitude lines to the map! Sea charts without latitude and longitude lines are just pictures. 

As a new player to Naval Action, and veteran gamer, one of the first things I noticed is the lack of Lat/Long lines on the map. 

Coming from a history of playing sandbox games, I wanted to second the return of the Latitude and Longitude lines, as either a toggle in options, or permanent but with transparency controls on how dark or light or near invisible the lines are.

The more tools you provide your players, the more creative and emergent gameplay they will create on  their own.

For Example:  

1. I'm in Savannah
  2. My Friend is in Georgetown
  3. We both are on Trade Runs
  4. We want to meet up, and convoy
  5. We want to avoid the gauntlet between the east Florida coast and the  Grand Banks and meet in open water, and approach our destination(s) together from the east.
  6. Without Longitude or Latitude measurements, or a immersion breaking visual way-point system (this type of meet up is near impossible, as they are coming from two different directions and compass bearing will only be able to get them so close.
  7. With Long/Lat lines, we are able to set our meetup, arrive in visual proximity to one another, while still making efficient progress on our envisioned route towards our destination(s)

Leaving players to 'guess' where they are relative to each other is unnecessary, when the Long/Lat lines can be a 'choice' for the player to utilize.

In closing, one of your best assets to allow players to create their own emergent gameplay, is to give them LOTS of relevant tools, and let them do what they do best - figure out how to break your game :P

33 minutes ago, KSN said:

As a new player to Naval Action, and veteran gamer, one of the first things I noticed is the lack of Lat/Long lines on the map. 

Coming from a history of playing sandbox games, I wanted to second the return of the Latitude and Longitude lines, as either a toggle in options, or permanent but with transparency controls on how dark or light or near invisible the lines are.

The more tools you provide your players, the more creative and emergent gameplay they will create on  their own.

For Example:  

1. I'm in Savannah
  2. My Friend is in Georgetown
  3. We both are on Trade Runs
  4. We want to meet up, and convoy
  5. We want to avoid the gauntlet between the east Florida coast and the  Grand Banks and meet in open water, and approach our destination(s) together from the east.
  6. Without Longitude or Latitude measurements, or a immersion breaking visual way-point system (this type of meet up is near impossible, as they are coming from two different directions and compass bearing will only be able to get them so close.
  7. With Long/Lat lines, we are able to set our meetup, arrive in visual proximity to one another, while still making efficient progress on our envisioned route towards our destination(s)

Leaving players to 'guess' where they are relative to each other is unnecessary, when the Long/Lat lines can be a 'choice' for the player to utilize.

In closing, one of your best assets to allow players to create their own emergent gameplay, is to give them LOTS of relevant tools, and let them do what they do best - figure out how to break your game :P

https://na-map.netlify.com

^ Has grids

Quite simply, sailing xp should be a separate thing. With every level of sailing xp you gain, you are able to more accurately predict your position. Could also give bonuses to fishing, hauling, improved knowledge of trade ports and prices, less chance of losing items/taking damage during a storm (I do think storms should be things to avoid), ability to predict where the wind will shift (I hate how predictable and boring it is now), ability to predict which direction a storm is (in case you are being chased and want to lose them in it),  lots of possibilities for this game outside of the combat.

Sailing xp should be gained through vising ports you've never seen before, trading, escaping battles, . Maybe a big bonus for achievements like visitng all ports or trading in every single commodity. I would like to see more achievements!

• Like 1