Game-Labs Forum

In-Game Bounty System

What's a 18th century naval game with pirates and privateers without an In-Game Bounty System? Empty.

We already have the Combat News Clerk that makes reports apparently from the Admiralty. So I suggest in the Port Quest screen providing players the ability to pick and post a bounty on Players, Clans, and Nations.

1. In own nation port click on Port Quests [Q]
  2. Near the Econ / Battle / Conquest tabs would be a Bounties tab
  3. See a list of current bounties (everything would work just like how missions work)
    • Clicking on a Bounty would show the details (last seen location) and reward (doubloons and/or reals) information
    • In this tab it would provide any number of players the ability to Accept Bounty (and/or) the first player to click Collect Bounty
    • It would also provide the Bounty Poster the ability to Cancel (but only after a few days lock so they couldn't escape paying out a reward)
    • There would also be a button to post a bounty
      • Available fields would be: Nation, Clan (can be blank), Captain Name (can be blank), Recent Location (can be blank), Reward Amount (can be Reals and/or Doubloons)
      • If a particular player is the bounty, name search would work like Friend Find and pull player's info
  4. Combat News would make the announcement post:
    • 14:28 Clerk: [Player Name] has posted a bounty of [amount of reals/doubloons] ...ooorrrrr,
    • 14:28 Clerk: [Player Name] has a bounty on their head for [amount of reals/doubloons]......oooorrrrr,
    • 14:28 Clerk: [Nation]'s Admiralty reports a bounty of [amount of reals/doubloons]

Image below is a mock up idea
kmEw6jl.jpg

Discuss.... :)

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 14

Anything like this will subject players to harassment, intimidation and give griefers a menacing tool.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, Henry Durnin said:

I think its a decent idea. What comes into my mind though is delivery contracts!

The testbed server had some. It looked good, the rewards just need to be better and varied between reals and doubloons, not just doubloons.

13 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

Anything like this will subject players to harassment, intimidation and give griefers menacing tool.

I don't much see a difference in a ganker harassing a particular port over and over again, as opposed to having a bounty on your head. Gankers/griefers pick on anyone, newb or not. And any of these griefers would most likely have a bounty on their head. Karma deserves a reward.

• Like 1

I like the general idea of bounties

However, they can be abused which is probably why we dont have them ingame yet (bounties have been discussed several times):

The player with the bounty on could just let a friend in another nation sink him, so they can share the rewards - as long as there is no additional drawback to getting sunk with a bounty on (e.g. loss of XP - which will most likely not be liked by most players) I dont see bounties working.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Liq said:

The player with the bounty on could just let a friend in another nation sink him, so they can share the rewards - as long as there is no additional drawback to getting sunk with a bounty on (e.g. loss of XP - which will most likely not be liked by most players) I dont see bounties working.

Good point, especially with all the alts in other nations running around. So perhaps there indeed should be a loss of XP, or rank, or knowledge slot, and a Clerk announcement. If they don't like the loss, then perhaps they should change their in-game behavior to not get on anyone's bad list. lol

33 minutes ago, Liq said:

I like the general idea of bounties

However, they can be abused which is probably why we dont have them ingame yet (bounties have been discussed several times):

perhaps 50 % for Admiralty and 50 % for the player (bounty hunter) /  and in advance 10 % tax from the  bounty-giving player

or a 1/4 split among different players

but we can not see who the player is we need to tag in battle so there is the old discussion again who is who in ow

but the idea on itself is a good one.

Edited by Thonys

58 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Gankers/griefers

You’re too nice, if only we all could play like gentlemen, to clarify…

If you have had 10 years of MMOs experiences, then you would have known the “true online griefer”, of whom I’m referring too, not the little bit of pleasant/natural NA OW ganking.

53 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Wait, what?!   This is the 17th century?

lul typo. fixed

49 minutes ago, BuckleUpBones said:

You’re too nice, if only we all could play like gentlemen, to clarify…

If you have had 10 years of MMOs experiences, then you would have known the “true online griefer”, of whom I’m referring too, not the little bit of pleasant/natural NA OW ganking.

I have no issue with ganking/griefing. I used those references in a response. A true ganker/griefer would love the idea of having a bounty against him and getting punished for his tactics.

• Like 1

I would like a diffent Bounty System. Not like a mission as proposed, because that would have the need to take the mission. 

If you dont have a marker on the target the missions are useless, because you will never find the Bounty target.

It is more random to face an enemy with a bounty. So why not just increase the personal Bounty like..

1) Danish Player sinks 1 Swedish Player -> Bounty for Swedish increase from 0 to 500 Dubs

2) Danish Player sinks 2 Polish Players -> Bounty for Polish increase from 0 to 1000 Dubs

3) ...

After the danish captain sunk more and more ships he becomes a more and more a wanted enemy with a higer and higher Bounty on his head.

In a battle and on the open sea we need an indicator for his "crime state", lets say a a red dot wich is deeper red as more bounty he has.

In the battle there are more "valuable" targets and lower ones. That would give a tactical Depth, cause it is maybe more important to sink one public enemy instead of 2 nonames.

In that case: Good Players would become a bigger challenge because they are a main target in the fight. More fun for newbes and vets @admin

Let the hunt begin...

Edited by Sven Silberbart
  • Like 2

Elite Dangerous has bounties on players.  Star Citizen will have bounties on players. I'm not sure if game set bounties in space sims relate to NA and player/clan set bounties, but bounties are a thing, eh? 

Seems that notorious players would be a little pleased to see a huge bounty on their head.  (Is Licinio  listening) Perhaps if Clans or Players post a bounty they must pay a large tax to the Admiralty and the Bounty will expire (like a contract.)

Also clan or player delivery missions sounds great. Win win.  Great for traders, great for players seeking items.  Again they could be linked to contracts: it would be like advertising a contract, again with an expiry date and a higher tax rate than a contract that is not linked to a mission.  The player delivery contracts would be shown in the port shop and the available missions.  The higher tax rate is paid only by who places the mission, the player who completes the delivery mission pays the standard rate.  Consider the extra tax an advertising fee.

9 hours ago, Liq said:

The player with the bounty on could just let a friend in another nation sink him, so they can share the rewards

It's always the same. Great idea. Exploit by alts being described. Death of great idea.

--

The problem is ALTS. ALTS. And once again; ALTS.

Eliminate Alts. Make this game great again. All great ideas get a chance then.

Alts are a serious threat to any substantial progress.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Thonys said:

we don't even need to discuss it 

it is just a great idea 

but that's the thing, it is not in the game for some reason :(

and nobody knows why not.

bounties are a great idea in theory but wont work in practice - they are exploited easily making bounties a useless feature. 
You place a bounty of 1000000 doubloons on someones head. He asks a friend to sink him, splitting the bounty. He is happy - you are unhappy. 
It should be in reverse. The person with the bounty should be scared. 

The only way to make bounties work as intended is rank loss or full player loss (hanged on a pier). But it is impossible, as community wont accept such feature.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

It's always the same. Great idea. Exploit by alts being described. Death of great idea.

--

The problem is ALTS. ALTS. And once again; ALTS.

Eliminate Alts. Make this game great again. All great ideas get a chance then.

Alts are a serious threat to any substantial progress.

Doesnt need to be alts

I bet you know a couple friends in other nations too. Now Imagine you got a 10m bounty on your head. Quick 5m for you and your friend. Plus, you could disguise it as a "legit" battle alias duel. 

I think admin once said about 3 organised duels vs same player per day are ok.

47 minutes ago, admin said:

You place a bounty of 1000000 doubloons on someones head. He asks a friend to sink him, splitting the bounty. He is happy - you are unhappy. 

Why not make it so the bounty is on his ship instead of the player and the bounty value is unknown to the target? I wouldn't sink a Bellona for a bounty that I don't even know the exact value of...

1 hour ago, AeRoTR said:

Pvp leaderboard should be the Bounty Board :)

This here is a very good suggestion instead of player driven bounties.  The game pays a bounty when anyone on the leaderboard is sunk.  There are generally some very tough PVP'ers up there (except when i'm there...that's an aberration) and it should be a big deal if one of them gets sunk.  Could be kinda tough on a noob who does the first PVP sinking of the day (when I get on the leaderboard), but maybe it could be scaled.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, admin said:

bounties are a great idea in theory but wont work in practice - they are exploited easily making bounties a useless feature. 
It should be in reverse. The person with the bounty should be scared. 

The only way to make bounties work as intended is rank loss or full player loss (hanged on a pier). But it is impossible, as community wont accept such feature.

perhaps an idea is:

when after a fight with a certain captain you can pay 1000 doubloons on that attacker captain,(only when you are attacked )

and when you encounter (or a member of your own clan) that same captain again: your crew gets a morale bonus of 10 % on that particular captain. (only usable when boarding) for morale in boarding,  and

5 % better aiming and reloading at the guns for just 1 fight. (fight harder for the 25% bonus)

in this example, the bounty hunted captain (with the bounty on his head has a disadvantage ) (he knows he has a negative against a certain player) and will look for another captain to fight against. 

the payout: is done only by Admiralty,.

this feature this counts for a clan only, only clan members of the same clan has the benefits,   members of other clans can not claim bounty in the admiralty. the payout is only 25% (so the payout is 250 doubloons extra collected in a harbor at the Admiralty office)

after a fight, with a same member of the bounty outgiving clan, the bounty is gone. (whatever the outcome of the fight is)

but perhaps this is un codable if it needs complicated coding and data.