Game-Labs Forum

Total Wipe at Release - a suggestion

Its not because they want to do it.  They have to do some level of wipe when they put changes in.  A partial wipe (they never said it would be a full wipe) must be done.  There is a discussion and some support for a full wipe but @admin has never once said that is what will happen.  Just forum talk...

I dont understand these dicussions all the time.

The game has to be balanced with a certain "end-game" population with money/books/skills/ships... a full whipe just creates something "abnormal" which occurs only once in a game (at its launch). NA shouldnt be made for just that moment but balanced for a diverse population with parameters to adapt to the amount of players. Otherwise we should get rid of gaining advantages through time spent in general, which btw offsets skill for less skilled people if they spend more time. And casual players will be always in a disadvantage through lack of training compared to a trained player even in a pure skill-based game.

We should rather balance the game and create opportunities for casual or less skilled gamers as well as content for elite and hard-core.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Henry Durnin said:

The game has to be balanced with a certain "end-game" population with money/books/skills/ships... a full whipe just creates something "abnormal" which occurs only once in a game (at its launch).

A full wipe is in turn showing a sort of respect/confidence not only that you accept the old game was but a test for the real game, and that your new population's will benefit from it the fresh start across the board. If you don't wipe your game than you're pretty much saying "hey, pretty much the same game as before so it doesn't warrant a wipe" or worse "hey, we did everything so perfect that we don't need a wipe"

Edited by Slim McSauce

On 1/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, William Death said:

Do we honestly believe there will be a ton of "new" players right after release? 

I just don't think there'll be a massive influx of new players that everyone seems to be counting on. 

If we dont get new Players into the game, BUYING the game, i can predict that the servers will get shut down in a year at the latest !!!

What do you all think is gamelabs in the first place ? Right, a company which want to make money and HAS to make money atleast for keeping the servers running...

From the old Players, they got their money already and most of it had been invested in the game development, hence the early access to create money for the development :P 

Without new Players buying the game, there is only one chance for the devs to keep NA alive: creating much more DLC ships !!! And even those 2 we have now enrages many people already that much...

I say, its in our all interests that we get as many new players into the game as possible...if we want to play NA for much longer !!!

On 1/29/2019 at 12:42 AM, Norfolk nChance said:

For the Newbie, knowledge of Veterans CRAFT, Rank, Ship or Book skills carrying over would be an immediate turn-off. Imagine the bollocks on STEAM...!

Exactly this !!!

Even now the negative reviews scares many possible players away...you often hear this when you speak with newcomers that they were very indifferent because of them...

Now imagine, when on Steam, in reddit, in youtube channels, in gaming magazines, people would get warned that the release and the wipe wouldnt be a wipe at all...that all the old players who had already accumulated 4 years of experience, can keep all the real important  stuff...what will make this to new players ???

Saying "no" to a levelled playing field for EVERYONE sounds just selfish to me, sorry to say this

Edited by Sir Max Magic

32 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

A full wipe is in turn showing a sort of respect/confidence not only that you accept the old game was but a test for the real game, and that your new population's will benefit from it the fresh start across the board. If you don't wipe your game than you're pretty much saying "hey, pretty much the same game as before so it doesn't warrant a wipe" or worse "hey, we did everything so perfect that we don't need a wipe"

I agree with wiping reals and so on as there were plenty exploits but isn't it a bit naive to think that there will be a "new population" or the game changes drastically just because it's released?

Of course there might be some influx on new players but will it be more than on a sale? More likely some vets are coming back to give it another try and I am sure they are happy to get some redeemables. The playerbase we have now will be for sure the core playerbase after release.

In my initial post I was just pointing out that a wipe or not won't change much apart from the initial couple weeks.

Shouldn't the experience of a new player be always good no matter if joining right after release or half a year later??

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

Now imagine, when on Steam, in reddit, in youtube channels, in gaming magazines, people would get warned that the release and the wipe wouldnt be a wipe at all...that all the old players who had already accumulated 4 years of experience, can keep all the real important  stuff...what will make this to new players ???

You've described the new player experience for pretty much any game.  Starting out you face veterans with years of accumulate crew/vehicle experience, upgrades, consumables, premiums and leg-ups. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barbancourt said:

You've described the new player experience for pretty much any game.  Starting out you face veterans with years of accumulate crew/vehicle experience, upgrades, consumables, premiums and leg-ups. 

I was years ago in closed beta of WoT from Day 1...and wow, what we had accumulated in those years...you cant imagine the steam which went through forums, all the raging, when devs announced that on release there will be a FULL wipe and nothing else...

And ???

Had WoT died because all the closed beta vets stopped playing ??

NO !!!

On day 1, despite the raging in forums, nearly all the known faces were seen again like the newbies in starter tanks, making low level games really interesting for the first time because seasoned vets were fighting each other... and after a few days, all slowly got bored vets who had everything in Closed beta, got hooked again by the game because they had a fresh start...

And even further, there was no shitstorm raging through social media by new players feeling at a massive disadvantage

Same would happen here

Edited by Sir Max Magic

25 minutes ago, Henry Durnin said:

Shouldn't the experience of a new player be always good no matter if joining right after release or half a year later??

Yes, that's why I'm saying books aren't good and the grind for ships slots isn't either. If the initial grind is so bad then maybe starting out is bad, new or old?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

I was years ago in closed beta of WoT from Day 1...and wow, what we had accumulated in those years...you cant imagine the steam which went through forums, all the raging, when devs announced that on release there will be a FULL wipe and nothing else...

Which lasted for a few months maybe?  And yet for the years since then newcomers such as myself always had to face long-established players (and more of them every year) with their massive gear advantage, which is the normal state of things.  Most of the people playing Tanks started out later on when there were already players with years of resources. 

7 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Yes, that's why I'm saying books aren't good and the grind for ships slots isn't either. If the initial grind is so bad then maybe starting out is bad, new or old?

So you're suggesting to shoot the patient because he is sweating? Maybe he's just out of breath?

Grinding books and knowledges is boring? Grinding for that rare armour in other MMOs can be a big motivator for new and seasond players. So instead of trying to fix a symptom, maybe we should make the grind more challenging and interesting? Unless you prefer a pure skill-based game.

9 hours ago, Henry Durnin said:

maybe we should make the grind more challenging and interesting

What? by taping over the patient mouth!

Every introduced hardcore irritation has seen a downward trend in pop (by steam charts). Only points of sales has produced pop increases.

As a MMO pop is important, wouldn’t you say!

Hardcore theme is failing, adding more ”challenging” features will send the game into the abyss, even advocating them.