Game-Labs Forum

Total Wipe at Release - a suggestion

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

Depends if you think the release will actually attract more players, or if we're forever stuck at 500 peak numbers. Sounds like books are the biggest problem, maybe remove them.

Developers need to pay youtubers/streamers/etc to advertise or this game will never break 1-2k population.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Gud said:

Developers need to pay youtubers/streamers/etc to advertise or this game will never break 1-2k population.

Haha, no they don't. That happens regularly if your game is decent. We had a few, one brought an entire clan of people, but they joined US so it didn't last long (Easy nation?) no, the game is a boring grind where only the best pvpers have fun. Everyone else is stuck sailing 3 slot ships, no good books without a chance. We have evolved being one of the first Action-based MMO's to rely on stats to bring variety, more focus on mods than improving the combat engine.

Edited by Slim McSauce

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Haha, no they don't. That happens regularly if your game is decent. We had a few, one brought an entire clan of people, but they joined US so it didn't last long (Easy nation?) no, the is a boring grind where only the best pvpers have fun. Everyone else is stuck sailing 3 slot ships, no good books without a chance. We have evolved being one of the first Action-based MMO's to rely on stats to bring variety, more focus on mods than improving the combat engine.

Why can they only sail 3 slots ships? I craft almost all my own ships. Do PvP players have I higher chance in getting better ships? The players with the money in this game is not PvP players, might change when we onece again, very soon get a reward only for PvP again.

What books is it that PvP players gets that the casual don't get? I got my books by doing epic and bought a few. 

But on the topic, I really can't see me grinding and do it all over again. Still haven't recovered from patch 27. Just craft a couple of 5 rate for the patrolezone. not even anymore carrying  about win ore lose. Just use cheap woods and no upgrades.

Edited by staun

I wonder what this unnecessary discussion is about. On the day the devs granted all testers their Exp, any discussion about it became worthless. Sure, the devs had their reasons for doing this., I do not think that's really smart, but they did it. 

Please spare us the shitstorm of all the disappointed players who have trusted the devs' statements. This storm would break all known dimensions.

Equally ridiculous, however, are the threats of our community heros that they would not play anymore after a total wipe . Who would look at their streams in another game, who would listen to their words threatening other nations with total annihilation? 'Right nobody would pay attention to them. And who would like to give up his fame?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, S. Bonnet said:

I wonder what this unnecessary discussion is about. On the day the devs granted all testers their Exp, any discussion about it became worthless. Sure, the devs had their reasons for doing this., I do not think that's really smart, but they did it. 

Please spare us the shitstorm of all the disappointed players who have trusted the devs' statements. This storm would break all known dimensions.

Equally ridiculous, however, are the threats of our community heros that they would not play anymore after a total wipe . Who would look at their streams in another game, who would listen to their words threatening other nations with total annihilation? 'Right nobody would pay attention to them. And who would like to give up his fame?

It is not the 20 top players ppl think of when they talk about stopping. Most of them proberbly will stay. More the rest, that allready is strugling to stay in game.

You are right devs allready told ppl how they plan the wipe, But that will not stop ppl from trying to change it. If they just keep saying it, maybe devs will do as they say, they will not stop until they have it there way.

The goal of the wipe is to remove money/assets made on untuned mechanics, remove ships received because of bugs, remove the extra resources and other things received due to early access problems. The goal of the wipe is not to punish players. 

Ship XP levels for example did not have any major exploits and it was not possible to gain ship XP by using bugs = thus ship XP level can be kept.
Reals - we indeed closed multiple loopholes during early access which generated extra money = thus reals can be wiped (at least above a certain threshold)

We see less and less compared to our initial announcements. We will keep you posted if something changes on this. 

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, admin said:

The goal of the wipe is to remove money/assets made on untuned mechanics, remove ships received because of bugs, remove the extra resources and other things received due to early access problems. The goal of the wipe is not to punish players. 

Ship XP levels for example did not have any major exploits and it was not possible to gain ship XP by using bugs = thus ship XP level can be kept.
Reals - we indeed closed multiple loopholes during early access which generated extra money = thus reals can be wiped (at least above a certain threshold)

We see less and less compared to our initial announcements. We will keep you posted if something changes on this. 

Do you guys have any plans on advertising or how will new players join when the game is released?

As admin stated every thing should be wiped cause of testing and changes.  We are promised Rank and crafting level and ship knowledge.  Books need to be relearned cause of changed loot and loot drop.  Though I hope they become better means to get some of the more rare ones (like actual missions for them).

if you don’t want your rank at start after release than just don’t redeem them.

Many early backers did play through the initial stages of OW and Early Access launch, about half a year, and then kind of stopped until full development is reached.

Their premise of  - Yacht, Rank, Crafting and Pandora - is their granted. That is what they accounted for on the Release day for everyone :) 

Obviously everyone respects/accepts Developers vision/decision and ultimately make their minds of returning or not.

33 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Books need to be relearned cause of changed loot and loot drop.

That's not what admin said, however.

There were no major exploits and it was not possible to gain knowledge books by using bugs = thus knowledge books can be kept. This is what his comment actually suggests.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

I toiled for months to get Art of Ship handling and Gunnery handbook. I'd hate to lose them :(

That doesn't sound like a good thing on either sides of the coin. Books are an alpha feature and should be looked at as such. It's already been confirmed at some point we're getting Officers back, so books that you have to grind mindlessly for could be replaced by Officer skills, ya know so you train them up and pray they don't get liquified by a cannonball.How many officers were on a ship at this time? Five? So five officers you can use to specialize your ship. Bonuses can be small, but progressive so you always improve but all improvement is earned through that officer, and you aren't just hoarding these upgrade books that are OP all together.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, admin said:

can the mods please:

shut this thread down .

close it .....

39 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

I toiled for months to get Art of Ship handling and Gunnery handbook. I'd hate to lose them :(

I think what's more important is, that there is no valid and good reason to wipe learned books, they are progress similar to rank and ship knowledge xp. They did not change significantly and neither did the means of acquiring them.

If they removed them completely and made them a PvP specific feature ( on war server at least ) unlocked with ship knowledge and no more RNG, then this would make sense maybe...

However if they stay as a RNG and PvE drop, there is no reason to wipe them, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Wrote a whole suggestion topic earlier, no need to repeat it all: PvE Peace Server in my opinion should not see any wipe at all. We don't really compete there one against another. Thus no equality in chances (an illusion anyways) is needed. And we keep the players in game who for any personal reason leave Naval Action (PvP War Server) because they strongly object to having their stuff wiped away, in addition to the usual reasons not related to wipes.

• Like 1

Sincerely.

As already pointed, the real pain are ship slots, and they will be, admin said a few times in the past EVEN SLOWER in live game.

Already now I use 99% only 5book ships and avoid even thinking to grind new ones (especially above 4th rate) even if I'd like to test some: it's deadly boring having to mindlessly kill bots. Again!

Personally I'd be fine even restarting from M&C (post exam) and without crafting. But the problem are ship slots again. Eventually an even bigger problem, as said.

I would prefer devs wiping all ranks too  but at the same time making grinding slots a breeze. For all.

Honestly: do devs know how many 1/2 rate bots should I kill to unlock 5 books on a Santissima??? They cant ask players, especially if having already done that 2 times, to do AGAIN.

Do we want a leveled field?

- Speed up a bit ranks from Ensign to Commodore (to allow access to big stuff if wished), make 4 books grindable in a few combats (like no more than 3/5 hours gaming), and the 5th open after a few more in PvP ONLY on the specific ship (not for all class) like a "mastery". So losing the ship, back to 4.

Craft rank up to 35/40 pretty fast, slowing down for the last.

And we can "do it again".

If I will have to slot up again ships, I think I will stop playing. No: not again senseless and boring grinding.

• Like 4

Agreed! the time having the slots is better than the time spent grinding them up, same with books, and mods, and ships. There is more game to be explored than just the pre-content of grinding to use these items, just to be on fair footing with your foe, which you want to be all the time.

Edited by Slim McSauce

8 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

You're really that afraid of losing some virtual books? Says a lot about your willingness to fight. No wonder drastic balancing measures are being used on PvP.

veteran historians always come to the same conclusion:

Putting the will on the people is counter-productive.

As I see it - it makes no difference. New players will sink in the cutters, old players will sink LGVs or outright capture them. The new players will ever so slowly start to sink cutters in combat missions with a learning curve that is far too difficult for new players - old players will at this time already have started trading/crafting and flipping ports. New players (if they stick around that long) will start to experience the problems with the current econ - arbitrarily dropped ressources and rng in crafting means the experienced players know where tradegoods drops, when they drop and has the ressources to play the numbers game. New players stop playing.

A wipe won't fix the economy, a wipe won't change the experience lvls that gives older players an advantage in combat and a wipe - even a total wipe, won't change the fact that the mods are unbalanced.

Question: Who here likes sailing the cutter?

- I don't mind the cutter, it can be fun - but I honestly think the squarerigged ships req less skill to sail. How weird is it to have a game where the first tiers of ships are significantly more difficult to master than the mid to end tier ships? (clarification: I refer to mid/end level in terms of ranks, not gameplay.. Endgame gameplay can be experienced even by a cadet, one of the things I really like about this game).