Game-Labs Forum

Patrol Zone Incentive

I've heard that the patrol zone rewards* is pointless since you can get plenty of dubs from other sources. 

My suggestions is to add victory marks to the reward pool so perhaps 70k damage is 4,000 dubs and 1 Victory mark, 200k damage is 6,000 dubs and 2 Victory marks, and 500k is 9,999 dubs and 3 Victory marks.

It would make the Patrol zone more lucrative for one, and would have people in the zone for longer. Especially those who don't get Victory marks from ports.

*edited for clarity

Edited by Einarr

24 minutes ago, jodgi said:

But people already use the zones. What if people go there to actually get a fight within reasonable time? PvP for the sake of PvP?

Exactly this! 

@Einarr And what should happen to those who want OW PvP? They do not get a proper reward and have maximum risk. The only reason for OW PvP is the fun of the fight. The loot from sunken enemy ships is some times not even worth the repairs you used in battle (if you have at all the chance to loot).

Edited by Sir Loorkon
  • Like 6

Incentive to play the game: liking the setting and the conflict resolution presented ( combat )

Incentive to do anything game related: wanting to learn how to become more proficient at using the game assets ( vessels and controls )

Only after those two comes the Incentives by rewards, they are a "thank you for your perseverance and aggressiveness" by the imaginary Admiralty to the imaginary Commander of a vessel of war.

The thing is there are no more victory marks in the admiralty. How are you meant to obtain them if you are not in a clan or are not in a nation with plenty of ports? 

OW PvP happens regardless since the fun of the game is the combat. The issue is that there's hardly any way to create Victory mark ships if you don't buy them from other players. I get that those sorts of ships are meant to be harder to get now by forcing combat to obtain dubs. But they've made it far too easy to get dubs at this point. Are victory marks meant to be the hardest item to get ingame for non-major clan members?

PZ reward based on damage problem.

Damage required is the same among different PZ... So the same damage per reward for both a Niagara and an Ocean... That doesnt make sense.

Make it % of damage done, therefore 100%= 1 kill, and make rewards kill based.

May be applicable also to OW doubs rewards: make limited sense that a boarder get close to zero reward damage wise and so doubs wise: a boarder chains a couple times, board. In the meantime a mate parks next to the enemy and fire 2 broadsides.

The kill goes to the mate parked next who technically did NOTHING to kill the enemy.

(No anti boarding crap please. Just note the facts).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Einarr said:

Are victory marks meant to be the hardest item to get ingame for non-major clan members?

Victory Marks are Conquest based rewards.

Being attainable only by clan members is a later change to it, given they were introduced before clanwars only conquest.

So, by being a specific Conquest reward they would need to be replaced or the entire Conquest changed ( which might be a thing the devs looking into here )

By introducing VMs as rewards for PZ you are definitely reversing the entire purpose of 2 things - Conquest rewards AND, most important, taking away the effort put in conquest and freely give them to less honest players than can simply "game the game" and get rewarded for not playing the game - alt damaged, for example.

Personally I would see PZ rewards, and already looking to the 1v1 and 6v6 plans for it ( see testbed ), to be equalized to PvP Missions ( but not complemented by them ).

Chests of various grades plus currency.

Never Conquest specific rewards as we have them now ( victory marks ).

4 hours ago, Einarr said:

The thing is there are no more victory marks in the admiralty. How are you meant to obtain them if you are not in a clan or are not in a nation with plenty of ports? 

OW PvP happens regardless since the fun of the game is the combat. The issue is that there's hardly any way to create Victory mark ships if you don't buy them from other players. I get that those sorts of ships are meant to be harder to get now by forcing combat to obtain dubs. But they've made it far too easy to get dubs at this point. Are victory marks meant to be the hardest item to get ingame for non-major clan members?

There are enough ways imo. Join a RvR clan and participate in RvR, do epic events (line ship permits drop often from golden chests), buy the ships from crafters or buy the victory marks from other players.

I'm so annoyed because ever single player is in his/her own clan and they want access to it all on their own. If that is possible, then it will be to easy to exploit and then it is worthless. I personally struggle with getting enough doubloons so I will trade victory marks for doubloons, but only to players that assists in my nations RvR efforts. And it will not be cheap either.. 

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 3

We tried twice to unify rewards but indeed it is much harder to balance 1 currency instead of 2.
As a result - Logbook (ship logs), intelligence, or gold bars will return into the game as pvp reward. This will make pvp in general and patrols in particular more important.

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, admin said:

We tried twice to unify rewards but indeed it is much harder to balance 1 currency instead of 2.
 As a result - Logbook (ship logs), intelligence, or gold bars will return into the game as pvp reward. This will make pvp in general and patrols in particular more important.

Great to hear that. I hope OW PvP rewards will be promoted equivalent to the high risk and not only the patrol area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

There should be just one monetary currency: gold. Call it doubloons, real, escudos... whatever. But please only one monetary currency

Gold should be tradeable, lootable (and maybe needs to be transported so you need to bring the gold on board to do trading). So you get rich by looting, selling goods, tradable items, selling ships.

Sinking ships does not make anyone any richer. No one would pay money for sinking a ship. This is nonsense. There should be no monetary reward for sinking ships.

However, there must be a reward for sinking ships, a meta-currency, let's call it "renown". Renown increases for battle achievements. Renown is the "currency" you need when dealing with the admiralty for ship-of-the-line permissions, ship mods, special paints. After all, what the admiralty has to offer is not payable with money, but with your reputation, your renown. 

Renown should be awarded for completing missions, sinking hostile ships, port battle participation etc.

Renown is very personal, it cannot be transported or traded. However, writing letters of recommendation to other captains (at an exchange rate of 1:3 maybe) could be implemented as a tool to promote other players by spending renown. This way, a captain with lots of renown may support other captains. The exchange rate (efficiency of letters of recommendation) could be adapted depending on recepeint's rank to more quickly promote lower ranked players, but it must be kept <1:1 to prevent alt abuse. 

Maybe renown can be "bought" from the (corrupt) admirality. Add a function "bribe the admiralty" which buys you a small amount of renown for ridiculously high amount of gold. Say, 1st rate permission for 10 millions? Permission for a 3rd rate at 2millions? However, in order to make this work, you'd need to fix the economy first. Monetary inflation would lead to renown inflation as well. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, admin said:

Patrols patrols or the circle fights?

8 hours ago, admin said:

But do you think it will bring more PvP. My guess is the same will do PvP as always. Soon they will start complaint again abouth nobody wants to fight them. 

How did ppl react when we had PvP marks? Did we get more ppl out doing fights? 

As long as your focus is rewarding the few,     I guess in hope more will follow, you will not get more PvP. The same goes for RvR, make it harder, ships more expensive, Sol permits only for VM and so on and you will only get RvR for the few.

There is nothing wrong with it,  if your vision is a devided game with an elite and a “2 hour man”. Because thats what you will have. But it will neither give more PvP ore RvR. It will be the same few that is doing PvP and RvR.

Edited by staun

3 hours ago, Einarr said:

All good points. Thanks I will conduct more RvR or focus on epic events.

I recommend a healthy mix so you do not get bored with the game (I have played this game for 2+ years now). Throw in some trade runs for real income also, then you have the alternative to buy stuff you want also ;) 

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 3