Game-Labs Forum

Hello everyone, I have just started to build my first ships, the question I would like to ask is, is there a formula  which describes the best way to build a ship?

I was going to build a mercury  using oak log and fir log but was told you never use fir log on a fighting ship but in the materials it ask you to get fir log, so I am a bit confused from this website below

http://www.navalactioncraft.com/craft-ship/mercury 

most people have said oak and white oak or white oak and oak so really I havn't a clue, if anyone could link me to a guide then I thank you for your help

Teak/WO is the new Oak/Oak.
It's not the wood,. It's the books and the mods.
If you have those, you can do teak/wo, if not teak/teak or teak/fir because there's a minimum speed for things like pvp.
Just be ready to face ships that are faster AND tankier than your own.

Edited by Slim McSauce

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Teak/WO is the new Oak/Oak.
It's not the wood, it's the books and the mods, ship is mostly redundant.
Take the biggest vessel you can, get it to 14knts. If that means fir/fir do it because you'll still be tankier with more firepower than the heaviest ship of a lower class.

That is the EXACT wrong way to play this game if you want to enjoy it....  He asked for a link to a guide.  NOT for a "meta-" opinion.

This link has a good ship build comparison tool:  https://na-map.netlify.com/

Example:  5a9190b37a945d508cd01a8960fab7f2.png

• Like 6

BTW, you'll always need Fir log and Oak log as basic ressource (like you need Hemp, Stone block, Provisions, Lignum Vitae...) to build a Teak/White Oak ship, Live Oak/White Oak ship, Oak/Crew Space ship, Fir/Fir ship, etc...

• Like 1

If you have a shipyard, just select the wood choice for the frame of your ship, then the wood choice for the planking, then follow the   ressources  listed below.  

Even a oak oak ship may require some other kind of wood, like lignum vitae log or fir log, for blocks or tar so don't worry that's normal, you can only change the frame & planking's wood varieties.

Players advising you to not craft a fir fir ship tell you that because that's the weakest build (but the fastest) but it's all a question of choices, try what you want and what you have. Even mahogany & sabicu can results in viable pvp build, and if live oak / white oak can looks like the strongest, in battle you will sometimes find that agility can make a difference.

* Sry Nick answered before me.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec