Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Testbed Feedback - Battle UI, Localization, Patrols, Delivery quests

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, admin said:

we posted and actually added colored icons to battle ui and they were very distracting and focused too much attention to buttons. same with boarding. it was more colorful in prototype but only looked good in static- when action starts it turned into a bloomberg stock interface and was too distracting. hence - the simple plain boarding ui

we need wood optics

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would also be nice to see the captured ships build, to decide if you want to put crew on it or sink :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Durin said:

would also be nice to see the captured ships build, to decide if you want to put crew on it or sink :)

yes its coming

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, admin said:

Cannons have max angle and of course you cannot converge them into one spot at very close distance.
But elsewhere you can. 

  • Convergence - water: means - Whatever vertical angle you chose - gunners will choose horizontal angle to converge on water when they fall and hit water (called 1st graze in the navy). 
  • Convergence - XXX meters: means - whatever vertical angle you chose - gunners will chose horizontal angle to converge at XXX meters

Does this mean that Convergence 'water' equals fall of shot left or right (left and right was used in gunnery as new crew were often assigned to gun crews, as they were not of 'Ordinary' or 'Able' seaman Rate)  of target and Convergence 'meters'  equals fall of shot short of, or, over the target in terms of distance? 

These terms would have been used early in engagements at longer ranges and the term 'on target' used when hits were scored, closer ranges, naturally, required fewer adjustments  in terms of distance and left/right azimuth, in much the same way as land based artillery, when speed and direction were matched, excepting that, the timing of broadsides was more critical at sea.

Single gun ranging shots at maximum elevation were usual, reducing elevation and azimuth if necessary, until range and azimuth were established, given the limited supplies of shot and powder carried, a factor which, within the game, we can happily ignore (excepting chain where every round counts).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where the teased boarding UI is gone ? It looked 10 times better than the testbed one ..

 

pUKVMp7.jpg

 

 

At least illustrate each boarding action in the battle log with a picture of the action of each side.

 

- Overall the battle UI looks exactly the same (not a problem for me but definitly not in pace with the rest) I understand the need for lisibility but it looks more like a cold simulator (like cold waters game ui for exemple, with even less themed designs) => For short, it still looks like a WIP/ early access ui

- And the Boarding windows is simply awefull. (not even talking about the new boarding system)

 

Definitly not sexy at all.

=>  Quite a disapointment at the moment. I'll have to test tonight but definitly not impressed.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, admin said:

Battles is where everyone spends time in and its totally ok.
In terms of harmony, we will get used to it. i cannot look at the old port UI now.. new is better. But for battle UI we tried to keep the legacy as much as we could and tried to remove as much text as we could. 

about battle ui, im missing some kind of frames and depth around things, also me and banished discussed that you see almost no difference if sailing/gunnery/survival/boarding is on or off since the white/grey backlight is turned to slightly grey when you turn it off.

about port ui, still missing my other ships in port docked around the port or anchored slightly outside with the gunports closed and anchors dropped.

 

Also suggestion about battle ui, use ship sunk icon as kill and assist icon in different colors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Lancelot Holland said:

Does this mean that Convergence 'water' equals fall of shot left or right (left and right was used in gunnery as new crew were often assigned to gun crews, as they were not of 'Ordinary' or 'Able' seaman Rate)  of target and Convergence 'meters'  equals fall of shot short of, or, over the target in terms of distance? 

unlocked sector auto = convergence water.
It means (will try to be precise this time) that if we ignore dispersion all cannonballs from the broadside will fall onto one point on water at the end of the trajectory. 

Convergence 100m means that if we ignore dispersion all cannonballs will converge at 100m (hit one point at 100m) on the trajectory (at 100m)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

Where the teased boarding UI is gone ? It looked 10 times better than the testbed one ..

 

pUKVMp7.jpg

 

it did not work out. it only looks good in static. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wyy said:

about battle ui, im missing some kind of frames and depth around things, also me and banished discussed that you see almost no difference if sailing/gunnery/survival/boarding is on or off since the white/grey backlight is turned to slightly grey when you turn it off.

 

we will see what we can do about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, admin said:

we posted and actually added colored icons to battle ui and they were very distracting and focused too much attention to buttons. same with boarding. it was more colorful in prototype but only looked good in static- when action starts it turned into a bloomberg stock interface and was too distracting. hence - the simple plain boarding ui

There is no need to add coloured icons to make something more beatiful and inmersive.

It is just about the lacking detail, some non inspiring icons or the grey-blueish colour used in all the battle UI. Why dont you try to use some of the background colours from the port UI windows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stilgar said:

Battle UI:

I like the battle UI: stylish and crisp, with some nice touches (e.g., indicators for rudder or pump hits). Increased font and graphics elements are also appreciated: all should still be readable on 1440p screen. Compliments to the artist! (Btw, I'd pay to see that style UI implemented in OW and in port.)

+1

 

I could just make one quick sail yesterday evening so I couldn't really test.

I found just one negative of the graphic Elements... Icons for different shoot types (Single, Chain, Grape, Double Shot/Ball) are really nice but not very intuitive. We all know what the Icons mean and are used to their Array but thinking of a new Player who most likely will have no clue what the Symbols mean. Maybe it's better to still have a short description (in words) like Double, Grape etc. below the Symbols.


Just my 2 cents

More testing upcoming

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, admin said:

it did not work out. it only looks good in static. 

Add transparency filter and not so many unnecessary big icons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Joernsson said:

 

I found just one negative of the graphic Elements... Icons for different shoot types (Single, Chain, Grape, Double Shot/Ball) are really nice but not very intuitive. We all know what the Icons mean and are used to their Array but thinking of a new Player who most likely will have no clue what the Symbols mean. Maybe it's better to still have a short description (in words) like Double, Grape etc. below the Symbols.

 

There is a tooltip (if you enable a mouse and mouseover) explaining what each does. 

But in general we believe that those buttons will work just like the red, green, yellow lights on the intersections. You just need to find out ONCE what each means and after that you will remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

although i do appreciate the simplicity and overview this ui gives you in battle - i would like if it would look a little bit more fitting. specially the compass and ship symbol for your own and the enemy vessle, can it have some wood and brass for the immersion while keeping it simple to read at the same time? i know that might not be easy to do, but the current ui looks very much like the old placeholder.vintage-brass-compass-maritime-naval_1_1f91be9e0a6331115efbb4c8ed2b53b4.thumb.jpg.48fe2f0f773af02b55de2920c92a6ad4.jpg

something like this would be easy to read and still leave room in the middle for the ship and sail orientation.

o7

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, admin said:

There is a tooltip (if you enable a mouse and mouseover) explaining what each does. 

But in general we believe that those buttons will work just like the red, green, yellow lights on the intersections. You just need to find out ONCE what each means and after that you will remember.

Ok, haven't seen the tooltips but I'm not sure if one has time in the heat of a battle to make some mouseovers. Though not a big deal for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Christoph said:

will there ever be an option for 4k players? the icon are all quite small

there is a canvas size option now in the settings allowing you to increase the size of the icons and windows.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, admin said:

there is a canvas size option now in the settings allowing you to increase the size of the icons and windows.

very nice. thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, admin said:

it did not work out. it only looks good in static. 

 

An in-between can't be made ? Keeping the wip  header artwork, icons for marines & muskets,  and artworks for battle log commands... Even better if one artwork for each combination of commands (one for attack vs defend, one for grenade vs brace , etc..)

Boarding is already non-immersive enough to bring a dull window while  your ships still display your lone sailors in waistcoat air-pushing guns.

 

20190123204356_1.thumb.jpg.94b9bdcfa2656

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French translation needs total rework : some words/phrases are not translated, others are funnily translated + spelling mistakes (no accent...).

For the moment, it looks like a google translation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keyboard Hotkeys do not work in Battle UI during battle countdown. Also crew stations are not visible. With prepared perk I can still distribute crew (e.g. turn on boarding) but I don't see it during countdown...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The changes to the in - battle compass are sometimes confusing, due to the more curved yard icons. when manual sailing it is sometimes difficult to determine from the compass when a yard is positioned correctly due to the overlap of the yards and more rounded shape.
The icons for Repair, Sailing, Gunnery, etc. I did not find confusing due to familiarity with/expectations of what should be where, but a new player may have difficulty with this. perhaps a hammer icon instead of a nail for repair, a ships wheel instead of a canvas sheet for sailing, a cannon icon similar to that used for mediums of the pood edinorogs for gunnery. the grappling hook icon for boarding is excellent IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

French translation needs total rework : some words/phrases are not translated, others are funnily translated + spelling mistakes (no accent...).

For the moment, it looks like a google translation.

Localization bugs and issues with formatting and languages

  • Keep in mind that localization was done by the outside firm and they could be less familiar with nautical terms. We plan to add great custom localizations to the selection

 

 

Edited by Joernsson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the start of battle ( the countdown), I couldn't allocate ammunition type to any of the four cannon sectors. Would only activate once battle had commenced.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×