Game-Labs Forum

Testbed Feedback - Battle UI, Localization, Patrols, Delivery quests

After playing a bit more i'd suggest these for delivery and passenger missions:

1) add weight to them. A weight of 100 would stop stacking them in basic cutters.

2) make the rewards a mix of a mall amount of exp (eg same as for sailing that distance) , some reales (depending on distance) and some dublons.

11 minutes ago, Jan van Santen said:

1) add weight to them. A weight of 100 would stop stacking them in basic cutters.

The gold rewards for them is not final and the hunt/sd missions rewards are going to be tuned with the addition of PVP rewards too. 
we think it is ok if new players will deliver passengers and letters to make doubloons while they are learning the game. so do not see the benefit of limiting weight. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, admin said:

we think it is ok if new players will deliver passengers and letters to make doubloons while they are learning the game. so do not see the benefit of limiting weight.

Agreed. Now if you could link two or three missions together - deliver passenger, which gives you a letter when he arrives at destination to take somewhere. and when you reach there, it is actually a requisition of goods that one has to bring somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, admin said:

The gold rewards for them is not final and the hunt/sd missions rewards are going to be tuned with the addition of PVP rewards too. 

okay. I guess it works either way.

Since you mention hunt and sd missions: I noted that kills in hostility missions don't count for hunt/sd on testbed. Is that intentional ? (Has a huge influence on dublons made on PvE server, at the current low ai density hostility provides the targets for hunt and s/d)

Edited by Jan van Santen

2 hours ago, Jan van Santen said:

okay. I guess it works either way.

Since you mention hunt and sd missions: I noted that kills in hostility missions don't count for hunt/sd on testbed. Is that intentional ? (Has a huge influence on dublons made on PvE server)

It's cause your not killing ships in the OW, the missions say ships in OW.  Hostility missions and the kill missions are not OW so they don't count and go towards those missions.

Wait ya'll can do Hostlity misisons on PvE?  I still think ya'll should be able to flip Nuetral ports on there even if it's for a short time so ya'll can have clan owned ports and such.

1 hour ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

It's cause your not killing ships in the OW, the missions say ships in OW.  Hostility missions and the kill missions are not OW so they don't count and go towards those missions.

Wait ya'll can do Hostlity misisons on PvE?  I still think ya'll should be able to flip Nuetral ports on there even if it's for a short time so ya'll can have clan owned ports and such.

We can do hostility missions on PvE server and the kills do count for hunt and sd.

Has to be since right now there are hardly any solo or small group ai around to get dublons with hunt/sd missions. If thats abandoned, I can only hope we can get enough dublons out of the new transport missions.

Flipping ports on PvE is no good idea, since one can't take missions in other nations ports (remember we depend on missions or loot for dubs).  besides, PvE is mostly solo played. 

Edited by Jan van Santen

3 minutes ago, Jan van Santen said:

We can do hostility missions on PvE server and the kills do count for hunt and sd. Has to be since right now there are hardly any solo or small group ai around to get dublons with hunt/sd missions. If thats abandoned, I can only hope we can get enough dublons out of the new transport missions.

Flipping ports on PvE is no good idea, since one can't take missions in other nations ports (remember we depend on those for dubs).  besides, PvE is mostly solo played. 

But you have patrol zones.  The AI doesn't spawn as a fleet in PZ battles...just singletons.

Edited by Angus MacDuff

46 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

But you have patrol zones.  The AI doesn't spawn as a fleet in PZ battles...just singletons.

That used to work in the past, but not anymore after the "empty seas" patch , since now  40 players compete for the 10 ai inside a patrol zone. :(

Besides: AI distribution doesnt fit Leogane and Mona zone limit and the shallow ones are more or less ai free.

After the "empty seas" patch basically only Hispaniola Patrol works for PvE server. 

And it will get worse with the new SP zones inside Patrol: when you chase a 4th rate w your 3rd rate in PvE, all of the sudden it enters sp zone and you cant attack anymore...

I still think PvE and PvP  should  both have balancing of their own, similar to eg the system Guild Wars had.

Edited by Jan van Santen

12 hours ago, Banished Privateer said:

We don't need FPS or player control, you simply control the crew and marines, etc. giving them orders. Devs already proposed project how it should be looking and working and we even had sneak peeks of it.

Do you have links to the sneak peeks?

4 hours ago, Intrepido said:

New players usually need more reals than doubloons.

@admin truth...we needs some missions that provide reals as well. Is it not possible to make the rewards for each mission randomly offer reals or doubloons?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BallsOfSteel said:

Sextant perk is just too easy

Doubloon to real conversion needed

Was just thinking this morning when on the main server. The sextant is fantastic but thats the problem. Too easy to navigate then. I dont hate it I just felt like I was spoiled with something I did not really want. Then I been finding it easier to grab doubloons than it is to earn reals. A conversion for doubloons to reals would be beneficial. 

6 hours ago, Jan van Santen said:

Flipping ports on PvE is no good idea, since one can't take missions in other nations ports (remember we depend on missions or loot for dubs).  besides, PvE is mostly solo played. 

Can't take missions in other ports?  You mean just like we can't on PvP server?   You know how you solve that?   CAPTURE A PORT FOR YOUR CLAN/NATION.  Than you can take all the missions you want.   Think out side of the box and not just about yourself.  What if ya'll had 500 players or even whole clans over there cause folks just wanted to play with AI not others?  The things I'm brining up are things that would invite more players to come to that server. I'll be honest it's the only reason I refuse to play on PvE cause there is so little content to do on that server and there is no big battle/RvR type play that folks can enjoy.  It's just flat out boring for most folks that stick to the PvP server other wise.  That and I do like to PvP once in a while.   Which the Hard core PvP guys can't get in there head the casuals don't want to PvP 24/7, they want to grind up there ships, get loot, and rewards and not be ganked 24/7.  They want to PvP on there terms when they are ready not forced into it as some folks think will get more folks to PvP, forcing any one to change there play style never gets more players, it runs folks off.   

4 hours ago, Davos Seaworth said:

Was just thinking this morning when on the main server. The sextant is fantastic but thats the problem. Too easy to navigate then. I dont hate it I just felt like I was spoiled with something I did not really want. Then I been finding it easier to grab doubloons than it is to earn reals. A conversion for doubloons to reals would be beneficial. 

Yah but folks like us been playing this game for how many years now?  we pretty much know the map like the back of our hands.  New folks on the other hand they aren't that lucky and some casuals still suck at navigating. I admit I left it on my chars on test bed and it made things so easy. I pretty much had a second screen open with a char in a LQR doing delivery missions (cause all the ports are neutral didn't need a trade ship). I can see doing something like that with an LGV refit or Trader brig while being more active in the other screen with the main.   

8 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Can't take missions in other ports?  You mean just like we can't on PvP server?   You know how you solve that?   CAPTURE A PORT FOR YOUR CLAN/NATION.  Than you can take all the missions you want.   Think out side of the box and not just about yourself.  What if ya'll had 500 players or even whole clans over there cause folks just wanted to play with AI not others?  The things I'm brining up are things that would invite more players to come to that server. I'll be honest it's the only reason I refuse to play on PvE cause there is so little content to do on that server and there is no big battle/RvR type play that folks can enjoy.  It's just flat out boring for most folks that stick to the PvP server other wise.  That and I do like to PvP once in a while.   Which the Hard core PvP guys can't get in there head the casuals don't want to PvP 24/7, they want to grind up there ships, get loot, and rewards and not be ganked 24/7.  They want to PvP on there terms when they are ready not forced into it as some folks think will get more folks to PvP, forcing any one to change there play style never gets more players, it runs folks off.   

You do realize I mentioned Guild Wars as an example for a working PvE/PvP mix several times ? (Including mixed PvPvE) ? :)

I am not opposed to a fair and voluntary PvP, in this game however we have seperated pure  PvE and hardcore PvP, and I don't see that changing, thus I argue from what i think a realistic PoV:  balance the two seperately.

Should I be wrong and we get a balanced mix with voluntary PvP, all the better !

On 2/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, admin said:

Ok for new players, but passengers may have weight from 5th rank upwarts, to avoid too easy money for the experienced players

As an idea for the trade mission:

Earning much money should be connected with high risks. You could set treasure transport missions, which have a long distance to sail and the players ship is shown in OW as "enemy player, treasure ship".

The reward for capping should be enormous as the reward for sailing it to its destination. 

On 2/4/2019 at 12:19 PM, van der Decken said:

This is all we are asking for. I would not mind the rock, paper, scissors boarding as long as we had some action in the background that correlates with the actions we are giving and the sounds we are hearing. Just have the cannon dudes on the ship do stuff related to boarding. We don't need to control each dude, we don't need fps, we don't need something hugely extravagant, we just want some action that looks nice...something like this behind the Boarding Window.

I offered a suggestion to the developers last year that would use a 'top down view' of two ships side by side. Game-Labs already has combat mechanics that are used for Ultimate General: Civil War that could possibly be implemented for the boarding game in Naval Action.

Animated combat would be ideal, but if animation is impossible it could be timed/turn based, similar to speed chess. Or, similar to what we have now where both players have a short amount of time to make their moves and then the combat is auto-resolved for that turn and then the next timed round begins etc.

As an example, game-play would be similar to that of 'Pike & Shot' or 'Field of Glory II'. 

Edited by Captiva
  • Like 3

Testbed updated

Damage model updated.

• Ship HP is strongly tied to ship weight.
  • Gun damage moved weighted model based on weight and cannonball
  • Gun penetrations have moved to historical tables of penetrations (solving the 18lb pounder gap)
  • Structure will start being damaged slightly faster. 
  • You will be able to demast more effectively using raking fire. Stern raking will tend to destroy rear mast, bow raking will tend to destroy bow mast. 
  • You can also demast by devastating structure damage through broadsides, but the volume of damage must be significant
  • Reload Shocks are now working properly across all classes of vessels.

Boarding actions

You can now fire point blank during boarding using [ ] 
Brace is now weaker vs Attack and counter attack.

• Like 16

41 minutes ago, admin said:

• You will be able to demast more effectively using raking fire. Stern raking will tend to destroy rear mast, bow raking will tend to destroy bow mast. 

How does that make sense. Shouldn’t it be the cannonballs direction and not some magic, that deside where the ball hit?