Game-Labs Forum

Global chats for the main languages

Not trying to be racist or anything here. Just thinking for the Future it might be handy to have a global chat channel option for each of the main languages.

I get the impression that the people not understanding english often have a hard time trying to communicate with others. Their messages often get lost, or it turns into a "speak english ffs" shitshow.

(Looking at the future localizations and possible influx of players speaking all sorts of languages)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rickard said:

a better option would be to just translate everything said in global if the player wants to. that way you can type Spanish from your end but based on my settings I can see the message you typed in a different language. but might be too much to ask from this Dev team.

Been asked for all MUDs and MMOs out there since the 90's ;) 

6 minutes ago, Rickard said:

a better option would be to just translate everything said in global if the player wants to. that way you can type Spanish from your end but based on my settings I can see the message you typed in a different language. but might be too much to ask from this Dev team.

I don't see a need for something like that.  We already have different languages on global and I just accept that I won't be able to understand what these folks are saying.  I did like the idea of different chat channels for the major languages.  Our one global channel gets somewhat crowded at times with Cyrillic.  Imagine if we get an influx of Chinese.

• Like 1

How many Global Chat channels would you do, is the question.....English, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese?), Japanese…..Hindi??  I know a lot of the Euro players speak English so maybe some of them can be skipped? I guess we'd better add the American language so that they can have their political debates (as a favour to the rest of us).  (What about an all Pyrate language??  Arrrrrr!  Shiver me timbers, matey!)

Just now, Chevalier du Ethuville said:

Is about Official languages, not all the others.

Define official.  The OP suggested Chat channels for each of the main languages, but is Chinese a "Main language"?  We've got along fine with one global channel for the in-game nations.  Are they the "official" languages of the game?  Devs are localising and there may be several new languages (Chinese for sure, but I don't know what others).  Do they become official?

Developers stated the official localization languages.

German, Russian, French, ( a couple more maybe, need to find that info )

but definitely not Italian, Afrikaans, Gallician... and everything else you can come up with.

Players can restrict the language used in their own clan if they wish. The rest will always be open to all as it should be

i play for France but am English and there are a number of others in my nation who also struggle with French, but try and get along with all

Global and Nation chat don't even have to be used if the players decide they don't want to , no need for rules that could further allienate players who aren't multi lingual

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickard said:

google translate has its limits

can't always translate word by word, sentences will lose its meanings and thus misunderstandings get created, which leads to more salt and toxicity

also, can't translate dialects

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 10:20 AM, Rickard said:

I didint mean google translate, I was thinking about a build in game mechanic.

So have our small team write a version of google translate? I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Imagine all the different languages one would hear in the waterfront taverns of the world. I’m okay with multiple languages showing there. I do sometimes wish that those who wish to carry on extended conversations would switch to private messages. Or switch to a language I DON’T understand. 😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Farrago said:

Imagine all the different languages one would hear in the waterfront taverns of the world.

😃 indeed. That's one of the enchantments of port towns even in our modern marvellous world, especially in harbour downtowns.

A night out and a dozen languages being spoke in the same pub.