Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Anolytic

Trade Goods Shortage

So, I know that the major trade overhaul that introduces distances as a factor in trade value is coming soon™. Something that I am very excited about and look forward to testing on the testbed.

Meanwhile however, I’ve noticed ever since patch 29 on December 17th, that trade goods barely spawn anymore. On December 16th most ports were stuffed with trade goods. With the patch the port stocks were reset to zero. However, they never recovered. Ports that are listed as spawning certain types of goods don’t spawn those goods at all, and other goods come in at very minor quantities. You used to be able to sail to a random port and easily fill 4 indiamans, and then come back and do it again a couple more times. Now you are lucky if you find enough trade-goods to fill a single traders brig. 

And it’s not like this is caused by other players snatching the goods in front of me, by contract or by visiting. Because I’ve kept an eye on several ports, and their tax incomes, and the latter has been flat on a low level the whole time for several of the ports I watch. I think that patch 29 somehow nerfed the spawn rate of trade goods.

I would not make any fuss about this - I’ve been enjoying a few weeks with no trading, and I have enough reals still - however, I've been noticing other players pointing out the lack of trade goods both in Global Chat, as well as in other topics on this forum. And I therefore decided to add my own observations.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:
So, I know that the major trade overhaul that introduces distances as a factor in trade value is coming soon™. Something that I am very excited about and look forward to testing on the testbed.

Meanwhile however, I’ve noticed ever since patch 29 on December 17th, that trade goods barely spawn anymore. On December 16th most ports were stuffed with trade goods. With the patch the port stocks were reset to zero. However, they never recovered. Ports that are listed as spawning certain types of goods don’t spawn those goods at all, and other goods come in at very minor quantities. You used to be able to sail to a random port and easily fill 4 indiamans, and then come back and do it again a couple more times. Now you are lucky if you find enough trade-goods to fill a single traders brig. 

And it’s not like this is caused by other players snatching the goods in front of me, by contract or by visiting. Because I’ve kept an eye on several ports, and their tax incomes, and the latter has been flat on a low level the whole time for several of the ports I watch. I think that patch 29 somehow nerfed the spawn rate of trade goods.

I would not make any fuss about this - I’ve been enjoying a few weeks with no trading, and I have enough reals still - however, I've been noticing other players pointing out the lack of trade goods both in Global Chat, as well as in other topics on this forum. And I therefore decided to add my own observations.

We have not changed anything in december in terms of resource spawns or volumes. But we know that the new system will fix all the deficiencies with trading. The cause of the problem is the number of the regions for some resources  - because resources are brought in bulk - the more regions you have assigned for those goods the more ports will be without the resources. Spanish goods are the most affected due to most number of regions. 

We are fixing it. 

The new philosophy is going to be the following. 
Trading will respect the time of the player. If you want to trade right now - you should be able to find an opportunity reasonable distance away from your location.
All regions will provide regional goods unique to their region. 
Most regions will have enough resources to provide trading for a small amount of traders
Some regions will be trading destinations and will provide constant trading opportunities (without any limitations). Hispaniola will be one of those regions.
Contracts for trading resources will be disabled to provide players who want to trade NOW with the opportunity to buy something and get it to the distant destination. 

New system will remove 3-4 min trading runs, but will provide great trading rewards increasing from distance sailed (increasing the further you sail away). Cheap common resources will provide modestly profitable short routes but will not give much bonus far away. Expensive resources are not going to be very profitable at short range - but will be extremely lucrative at far away lands. 

Please pass this info in chat - we are working very hard to get the testbed out and get the new trading out. 

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, admin said:

New system will remove 3-4 min trading runs, but will provide great trading rewards increasing from distance sailed (increasing the further you sail away)

So basically for max profit you have to haul the goods as far across the map as possible?

15 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

So basically for max profit you have to haul the goods as far across the map as possible?

Very good for PVP

Works if clans and nations actually start doing trade/treasure fleets. But hey... majority seem to have allergy to multiplayer...

2 hours ago, admin said:

New system will remove 3-4 min trading runs, but will provide great trading rewards increasing from distance sailed (increasing the further you sail away). Cheap common resources will provide modestly profitable short routes but will not give much bonus far away. Expensive resources are not going to be very profitable at short range - but will be extremely lucrative at far away lands. 

Please pass this info in chat - we are working very hard to get the testbed out and get the new trading out. 

On one hand, it is logical approach of more work input, further sail = better profit. Yet, on the other hand it is not so realistic approach as it doesn't contain dynamic demand and supply. Think of hunger happening in Port de Paix, so traders from Puerto Plata transport food over to PdP for great income. Hunger ends and prices go low again. Then PdP city grows, needs more citizens/workers. Citizens/workers can be transported until the demand is fulfilled. A city hit by plague needs medicines. Then we have common goods like tools, clothes etc. 

These special events of what happens in cities (hunger, plagues, need of more workers/citizens, tools, clothes) could be announced on the map with port icons or even in sort of "news" a 'la current combat news. Example:

"City of Havana is suffering due to hunger. It requires more food supplies immediately". 

This will create dynamic trade, instant trading opportunities of goods for traders and also allow hunters to hit the trading routes knowing better where to look for the prey. 

The trading is mostly boring in NA because player can find 1 transport route that is most safe and gives best profit and will repeat it 100 times until he's super rich. Repetitive actions make it boring. Only "interesting" thing for some (probably not many) traders is adrenaline due to risk of piracy and privateering "PvP" while on a trade run. That factor is not present on PvE server, were trading should be a major feature, so I don't know what is supposed to make it interesting, dynamic and thrilling there. 

Edited by Banished Privateer
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, admin said:

We have not changed anything in december in terms of resource spawns or volumes. But we know that the new system will fix all the deficiencies with trading. The cause of the problem is the number of the regions for some resources  - because resources are brought in bulk - the more regions you have assigned for those goods the more ports will be without the resources. Spanish goods are the most affected due to most number of regions. 

We are fixing it. 

The new philosophy is going to be the following. 
Trading will respect the time of the player. If you want to trade right now - you should be able to find an opportunity reasonable distance away from your location.
All regions will provide regional goods unique to their region. 
Most regions will have enough resources to provide trading for a small amount of traders
Some regions will be trading destinations and will provide constant trading opportunities (without any limitations). Hispaniola will be one of those regions.
Contracts for trading resources will be disabled to provide players who want to trade NOW with the opportunity to buy something and get it to the distant destination. 

Please add resources info back to the map and port windows. 

Edited by Pirate78

3 hours ago, admin said:

😍