Game-Labs Forum

Doubloons

The looting system of doubloons is unfair and bad!

you have to get per damage and kills the doubloons. not per looting. 

an example

we have release (wipe)

nobody has doubloons. 

if you have your first 5k doubloons, you are craft a 3rd rate

You go to the pb and sink 3 ships. Finally, you will be sunk. then you can not build a new 3rd. only the winners / the best players can build new big ships!

many people will leave the game.

i think its better when you craft for example a 1st rate you get the ship after 7 days. 2nd rate after 5 days. 3rd rate after 3 days, 4 rate after 2 days. thats all without doubloons

Crafting needs to be reworked but adding timers would only increase the grind which is not something we need if you want more players actively playing the game. Doubloons should be for PvP only and have nothing to do with crafting such as the old PvP Marks. There needs to be more building slots because you cannot make all three repairs and ships at the same time due to only having five building slots. After these next few trading/pve/rvr patches the developers should focus on quality of life in the game to shorten the length of certain mechanics. You do have a solid point but should the best players not be able to craft more ships earlier due to their skill/numbers? This is a problem with RvR not ship building as a whole so hopefully the devs balance RvR in some type of way.

3 hours ago, Christoph said:

i think its better when you craft for example a 1st rate you get the ship after 7 days. 2nd rate after 5 days. 3rd rate after 3 days, 4 rate after 2 days. thats all without doubloons

i proposed some kind of crafting system like this, but i think it got ignored, good luck though :)

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

I'd like to see a decrease in doubloon drops and/or a lower chance and more of a guaranteed payout similar to PVP marks.  At an adjusted rate though.  

80 doubloons for sinking a couple lineships is abysmal.  Should be more like 800 + a small chance at looting dubs. 

1 hour ago, Coraline Vodka said:

The direct to wallet dubloons are still at only pvp mark levels and it's criminal how little you get, at minimum needs to be 10x more

^^ This.

It should be scaled the same way the navy refits were scaled. By a factor of 40. You used to get maybe 12 PvP marks from sinking a frigate. Convert that to doubloons and multiply by 40: you get 480 doubloons. PvP = Seems worth it.

Right now, you get maybe 20-30 doubloons for sinking that frigate. Can't even replace a module on your ship with that. PvP = Not worth it.

This would also help reduce the pain of crafting and then losing a lineship (~5-9k doubloons + mods)

Sinking a lineship (around 30 PvP marks) would = about 1200 doubloons with the 40x multiplier. Assuming you don't do something stupid with your new lineships, you can replace them after a few successful battles.

1 hour ago, Christendom said:

I'd like to see a decrease in doubloon drops and/or a lower chance and more of a guaranteed payout similar to PVP marks.  At an adjusted rate though.  

That is a great suggestion, except it should only be done for PVP imho and leave the RNG on the traders alone.  Leave two paths for earning high numbers of doubloons, for both the PVP centric & the PVE centric types.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Christoph said:

I have proposed this before for all SoLs (1st-3rd rates). Hell, historically it took years to be completed. Just like Wyy's mine got mostly ignored.

3 hours ago, Lord Gud said:

Crafting needs to be reworked but adding timers would only increase the grind which is not something we need if you want more players actively playing the game. Doubloons should be for PvP only and have nothing to do with crafting such as the old PvP Marks. There needs to be more building slots because you cannot make all three repairs and ships at the same time due to only having five building slots. After these next few trading/pve/rvr patches the developers should focus on quality of life in the game to shorten the length of certain mechanics. You do have a solid point but should the best players not be able to craft more ships earlier due to their skill/numbers? This is a problem with RvR not ship building as a whole so hopefully the devs balance RvR in some type of way.

There's really no grind to crafting a SoL, but yes, the new system seems interesting.

3 hours ago, rediii said:

we have a timer system with labor hours atm already

Wait 2 days - build ship

build ship - wait 2 days with timer

How long do you personally have to wait to build a SoL? They are built instantly by all good players with a stack of dbls, because you can simply buy labor hours with them. SoLs are insta-builds, and imo that's too frequent.

Well, the doubloons rate for crafting ships might feel a bit on a high end, but this can help curbing the 1/2/3rd rate spam, which is not a bad thing. Fights involving 5th/4th/3rd rates are the most enjoyable and complex ones.

Edited by Stilgar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Gud said:

Doubloons should be for PvP only

Stop equating doubloons with PVP marks, they are not the same.  Doubloons are currency as well as the reals.  It's like dollars and cents.  The rewards in PVP need adjusted to what @William Death and @Christendom suggested, but also keep the current RNG we are getting on the AI so that we can combine both to make our game completely fulfilling.  That way you can hunt AI when the seas are low on traffic & hunt players when the opposite occurs.  

Once you stop equating PVP marks with Doubloons its easier to enjoy the game... Winning in PVP is much more than the reward you get (but needs adjusted so there is some pay for the work), the real reward is in the challenge of beating a real live human being, your tactics, the challenge of finding them at sea and people know who you are through combat news.  Not opposed to increasing the doubloons won via PVP, but don't view doubloons as a PVP only reward.  You need them for much more than PVP mods & PVP uses in the game.  Ship yards, upgrades, perk resets, ect. 

• Like 1

I don't mind not getting many dubloons for a pvp-kill (not opposed to get a bit more dubloons as reward for a sinking though (maybe double it from what we have now, but still leave the rng work for what you can find in the cargohold?), i would like to get more reals for sinking a playership (or ai) though).

If we make dubloons like pvp-marks ... would that not risk that we resort to 'farming' players again? ( i say 'farming', because ussually it was the only reason someone attacked defenseless tradeships or much weaker or lower rated or outnumbered war-vessels?)  

I find that battles, at the moment, are more fought because of the battle itself and not so much because you need the pvp-marks. I'd even say that since the dubloons were introduced i have the impression that i get more 'good' (even/balanced) fights (like i said, an impression, i have been looking for pvp (solo, sometimes with another player) more than ussual lately).

Edited by Eyesore

On 1/21/2019 at 7:53 PM, JG14_Cuzn said:

Nah F’ that.  

I want rewards when I sink a player.  I don’t need a pat on the back and an attaboy.

Had a running battle with some French... sank 3,  since there were 3 more there was no chance of looting the wrecks...

Think I got 1800 reals for the battle.  Complete BS 

yes thats BS. we need rewards for sinking ships. 

last week i had a 1vs3. i sunk 2 ships but the last was too much. 1h battle for nothing. 

@admin is that what you want?

The whole currency system is corrupt. There is absolutely no need for different monetary currencies. There should be just one monetary currency: gold. Call it doubloons, real, escudos... whatever. But please only one monetary currency

Gold should be tradeable, lootable (and maybe needs to be transported so you need to bring the gold on board when buying stuff). So you get rich by looting, selling goods, tradable items, selling ships.

Sinking ships does not make anyone any richer. No one will pay you money for sinking a ship. This is nonsense. There should be no monetary reward for sinking ships.

Then, there might be a meta-currency, let's call it "renown". Renown increases for battle achievements. Renown is the "currency" you need when dealing with the admiralty for ship-of-the-line permissions, ship mods, special paints. 

Renown should be awarded for completing missions, sinking hostile ships, port battle participation etc.

Renown is very personal, it cannot be transported or traded. However, writing letters of recommendation to other captains (at an exchange rate of 1:3 maybe) could be implemented as a tool to promote other players by spending renown. This way, a captain with lots of renown may support other captains. The exchange rate (efficiency of letters of recommendation) could be adapted depending on recepeint's rank to more quickly promote lower ranked players, but it must be kept <1:1 to prevent alt abuse. 

Maybe renown can be "bought" from the admirality. Add a function "bribe the admiralty" which buys you a small amount of renown for ridiculously high amount of gold. Say, 1st rate permission for 10 millions? Permission for a 3rd rate at 2millions? However, in order to make this work, you'd need to fix the economy first. Monetary inflation would lead to renown inflation as well. 

Edited by van Veen
  • Like 2