Game-Labs Forum

54 minutes ago, staun said:

Find 10 avarage player and put the up against 10 good players. Let them have the same ships. Let 10 fight be without upgrades and knowledge. Then make 10 with same upgrades and knowledge.

Point is, you do same testing but with average players only

My bet is the result will show:

Side upgrades V no upgrades ==> 90% win for those who got upgrades.

No upgrades both sides or same upgrades both sides ==> probably between 40 to 60% wins each sides. 

My point is just a question to minimize upgrades & knowledge effects, that's all, it would better promote player's skill, make fights funnier & more balanced.

Edited by Celtiberofrog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Point is, you do same testing but with average players only

My bet is the result will show:

Side upgrades V no upgrades ==> 90% win for those who got upgrades.

No upgrades both sides or same upgrades both sides ==> probably between 40 to 60% wins each sides. 

My point is just a question to minimize upgrades & knowledge effects, that's all, it would better promote player's skill, make fights funnier & more balanced.

Well I think you are right if the same skilled  player fight each other, ofc the one with upgrades have a better chance of winning. But plz tell me what upgrade an average player don’t have acces to. But that not what we are debating. You claim upgrades Make fight unballanced. I say no, what favor the best is skill matters, as it should be. You can remove all upgrades and knowledge and the best will still win 9 of 10 battles.

You example is the same to say one side is only allowed 9 pd cannons and the other will have 32 pd. What is next to balance fights. All ship have to have the same stats, maybe have auto aim and firing, remove manual sail.

Edited by staun
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Chevalier du Ethuville said:

Then please, sail without all your Encyclopedias and non basic modules.

Should be okay and no need to defend them so much.

I actually sail a lot without opgrades and only with books bought from dbl ore got from a seal bottle

18 minutes ago, staun said:

You example is the same to say one side is only allowed 9 pd cannons and the other will have 32 pd. What is next to balance fights. All ship have to have the same stats, maybe have auto aim and firing, remove manual sail.

Well, we got Ship large variety, woods large variety, slots number, perks and canons variety.

With these first layer of features the game is already offering plenty of tactical/quality choices.

NA could nicely work without any additional features,

Now, all mods & upgrades are fine and increase game quality but they should not have current level of bonus or penalties.

Fights are presently potentialy unbalanced because of so many extra effects impacting battles issue.  

Would their effects be lower, player skill will have stronger impact in fights and recognized as such.

Choosing good upgrades & knowledge for our ships is not supposed to be improving any player skill but only ship skill.

I prefere NA where player skill would be far more important than ship skill.

14 minutes ago, Celtiberofrog said:

Well, we got Ship large variety, woods large variety, slots number, perks and canons variety.

With these first layer of features the game is already offering plenty of tactical/quality choices.

NA could nicely work without any additional features,

Now, all mods & upgrades are fine and increase game quality but they should not have current level of bonus or penalties.

Fights are presently potentialy unbalanced because of so many extra effects impacting battles issue.  

Would their effects be lower, player skill will have stronger impact in fights and recognized as such.

Choosing good upgrades & knowledge for our ships is not supposed to be improving any player skill but only ship skill.

I prefere NA where player skill would be far more important than ship skill.

I have no problem with a NA where there was no upgrades, Wood type ore knowledge slots. Only skilled matter. 

My point is all have acces to upgrades, Wood and ship knowledge. This things is not imo the reason we have players better than others, imo the reason is this is a skill based game.

2 hours ago, staun said:

Well I think you are right if the same skilled  player fight each other, ofc the one with upgrades have a better chance of winning. But plz tell me what upgrade an average player don’t have acces to. But that not what we are debating. You claim upgrades Make fight unballanced. I say no, what favor the best is skill matters, as it should be. You can remove all upgrades and knowledge and the best will still win 9 of 10 battles.

Not to speak that fitting a ship for a combat style, and then forcing enemy fighting YOUR game while not letting him forcing you playing his is... Skill (tactical superiority, higher combat awareness, better forethought - call it as you prefer).

49 minutes ago, staun said:

I have no problem with a NA where there was no upgrades, Wood type ore knowledge slots. Only skilled matter. 

My point is all have acces to upgrades, Wood and ship knowledge. This things is not imo the reason we have players better than others, imo the reason is this is a skill based game.

Still access to some stuff is very limited to casuals... Due to cost. Time involved.

And especially acceptability of loss.

Anyone can farm 200k to get an Elite rig.

Not everyone can afford to lose a couple elite rigged ships in a row.