Game-Labs Forum

What am I doing wrong?

Jomanda

Question

I have purchased naval Action when it just came out. I have not played it since then because it initially was too rough for my taste, but decided to give it another try. However I could not even get past the first "exam" in the tutorial section. I feel the AI is favored too heavily, it starts with guns loaded, loads in about half the time I need to reload and appears it has a 'headshot mod' installed. I have tried many times to get past this 'exam' but one of two things happens, either I am killed or the game leaves the battle unannounced with the AI target always having at least 90% armor intact on all sides. 

So either the AI target is overpowered, or the tutorial is dong a really poor job in tutoring...

What am I doing wrong?

12 answers to this question

The tutorial exams were designed to prepare players for PvP battles while the beginning missions are designed to teach the basics. It is misleading because its common for new players to try to finish the entire tutorial before they ever set sail in OW. If you have trouble with the exams, get more practice fighting AI in open world then come back to it later.

cheers o7

Edited by Capn Rocko
  • Like 2

The best training is hunting AI Traderbrigs in the Basic Cutter. Its free. if you make mistakes or repair, it costs nothing and you can train tactics. The worst mistake is to leave Basic Cutter to early. If you are ready to sink a le Gros Ventre in your Basic Cutter you should try Exam again. Do not give up! This game has a great combat mechanic but is hard to learn.

• Like 3

Can't provide any guidance for passing the final exam.  I did not have the patience to complete the tutorial, it lacks clear instruction and I found myself guessing too much.

I don't think I'm the only player that had difficulty.  I wonder how many new players have not passed the final.

Thank you all for your comments. I did as suggested and skipped the tutorials. But even so, I just get raped by everyone I fight. I am trying missions in my starter ship and even lynx traders utterly destroy me without me denting them much at all...

I ask again, what am I doing wrong?

8 hours ago, Jomanda said:

Without seeing a video of your action very hard to tell, but I would advise you to practise, practise, practise :)

And avoid plain broadsides of your enemy towards you. Try to angle your ship towards your enemy so that his shots bounce off our hull. On the other hand try to be on parallel course with your enemy when you are shooting to maximise the damage you are inflicting.

9 hours ago, Jomanda said:

Thank you all for your comments. I did as suggested and skipped the tutorials. But even so, I just get raped by everyone I fight. I am trying missions in my starter ship and even lynx traders utterly destroy me without me denting them much at all...

I wonder two things...what server are you playing on? Maybe we can arrange someone to come and to a battle with you to help explain things.

Also what guns do you have on your ship? If you have medium guns, then you need to get close to your enemy in order for them to do much damage.

7 hours ago, woodenfish said:

I wonder two things...what server are you playing on? Maybe we can arrange someone to come and to a battle with you to help explain things.

Also what guns do you have on your ship? If you have medium guns, then you need to get close to your enemy in order for them to do much damage.

Hmmmm, server is PVE, that's all I can tell you. I didn't think it was wise to start learning the game on a PVP server, expecially considering how terrible I apparently am at this game...

I just have the normal startership, unchanged. Every time I get killed, which is about once or twice an hour, I just get a new free Basic Cutter and take it to sea without adjusting anything. I have once tried 6 pounders instead of the standard 4 pounders, but I didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

@Jomanda 
These would be my tips for you. 
1. Move to the PvP server, it has a lot more active players. You can join a clan far more easily and have people to play with, who can teach you the game mechanics and they will more than likely give you starter ships and sail with you. 
2. In battle, always mind the angle at which you fire at enemy ships, make you fire while your ships is precisely parallel to your target. The opposite would apply when you take fire. Never stay parallel with enemy ships unless you are firing. Works better for beginners. 
3. With the basic cutter, all repairs are free. So if you are taking a lot of damage, turn away from the fight and take the time to repair and then get back to fighting. 
4. Chaining the enemy ship's sails and then boarding can be an easy way to defeat an AI ship if you have trouble sinking it with regular broadsides. 
5. Go after small trading ships, if you rake their sterns, they can be quite easy to then board and take for yourself. A trader snow is not a bad ship for a new player. 

That's all I can think off the top of my head. Hope you stick around.