Game-Labs Forum

What to do next? Suggesting Quests

After playing a while on the PVP server back in 2015-16, I joined the game back again, this time on the PvE server to get a somewhat more relaxing experience. Starting as a rookie, I finished the endurance exam, but I'm still struggling with the Final Exam. That doesn't matter at all, it's supposed to be hard as it is the final exam. However, I dreamed a bit around and felt I was missing a crucial thing for the full PvE experience of new(ish) players:

• Story line quests / Campaign: a series of story driven quest telling me to sail from A to B, defeating a PvE pirate underway, smuggle a bit of contraband goods for my country and other 'meaningful' orders. A good example for a starting story, could be the following:
    • Quest 1: On the market, a trader asks you to start fishing, as there is a huge shortage of fish. Player starts fishing, finds different kinds of fish, and sells it for a good bargain to the trader (small starting capital for the player).
    • Quest 2: As there is still a huge shortage, player is questioned to go fishing again. However, he manages to catch a bottle with some inscriptions in it, pointing out someone is in a dire need to be salvaged on coordinates X/Y. Player rescues someone from a raft. The rescued person is thankful and rewards player with money.
    • Quest 3: As the player starts talking with the rescued person, he points out that he was a trader who has a feud with another trader. He thinks that trader hired some pirates for sinking his ship. Player starts investigating by visiting 3 nearby cities for information, and sails back to report to trader. Reward: sailing experience, player learned to navigate on open seas.
    • Quest 4: All proof points towards pirate X, who might be responsible for the attack. Players will hunt down the pirate on the open seas, and is required to board him to capture the captain alive. Reward: new ship (lynx) and player practiced the boarding mechanics.
    • Quest 5: After a thorough hearing, the pirate captain refuses to tell anything. However, the ring he's wearing, looks familiar to the saved trader. He found out that once these ring might be of one of his friends, who used to live near free harbor X. Player goes there, and finds out that he's no longer there. All traces point out that the trader sailed to city Y but was captured halfway by the pirates.
    • Quest 6: Player is towards a pirate harbor, and has to sneak in the enemy port using a false flag. When arriving there, he finds out that indeed the friend is captured, and is forced to work on one of the 3 pirate ships. Player sails back to the trader, and together they decide that they'll rescue the friend.
    • Quest 7: Players boards 3 ships and finds the friend. That friend happens to have good connections around the world, and ask you to become part of a nationality of your choice, opening up to 3 new quest lines. Reward: sum of money, experience and player chooses his nation he wants to sail for.
    • Etc.

Now, why would NA needs this?

1. Firstly, new players, just as me, struggle to find something meaningful to do in NA. I just joined again, got myself some money by trading, and I'm now looking for ways to increase my experience level and looking for ways to earn more money. A story driven quest would give some guidance in mastering the game again in a relaxing pace, and ensures me to play the game for as long as the duration of the quests. So basically, it helps player retention.
  2. Secondly, the 'new player'-quests will be in a save zone, save for PvP and ganking. After finishing their 7th quest, they decide which nation they'll join, making their choice more informed and based on in-game information. The new player can starts his adventure a bit more 'solo', allowing more people to stick to the game.
  3. After that, the 'experienced player'-quests are spread further away, and requires player to sail bigger ships, defeat bigger enemies. On PvP servers, this ensures a steady supply of players trying to sail certain routes with valuable goods, which can be captured. However finishing the quest also will net a great reward, netting the player who manages to do them a good profit, even when losing some ships.
  4. Quest can give end-game goals for players, for example a non-tradable crafting receipe for non-tradable upgrades for your first rate ships. 
  5. Quest can help people find each other in the game, as they are sharing a common goal. An example could be a quest which you need help of someone else with. This brings people into contact with clans.
  6. Quest add solo content to the game, both enjoyable for the PvP as the PvE server.
  7. Quests can give a reason the explore a vast majority of the map, instead of just sailing around your starting harbor.
  8. Quests can smooth the leveling grind in a structured way.

Now, I know Naval Action is a historical correct game. However I really think above mentioned stories are very possible without losing that realistic feeling. In my opinion, having just a touch of a RPG, this can be very useful for both player induction, as well as player retention. Once the system is in place, it also opens up the way to more and more quests, some maybe even as a DLC. I would really enjoy some extra goals and many with me.

Furthermore, I think it's a very important thing Naval Action should do in the near future, as a good quest line really can have a positive effect onto the economy (which rewards do you give?), the meta (players not sailing alone with their expensive ships as there is no reward for doing it) and the player retention. At the same time, it has no drawbacks, because any player can ignore their quests at any time.

What do you thing about this suggestion?

Edited by Anymn
  • Like 2

This is exactly what the game is missing because it feels like such an endless grind. If a proper quest-line was added then it should focus on gearing the player towards end-game ranks/books such as Art of Ship Handling, Gunnery Encyclopedia, and The Book Of Five Rings. Would it be better to have your average player looking forward to obtaining something if they successfully complete a skillful quest, or have a player endlessly grinding AI to no avail. All the developers have to do is have the community come together and create a bunch of quests and they could implement the best ones. Maybe have a boss system where you have to fight unobtainable ships that are incredibly skilled and then be rewarded with book knowledge/xp? 

Edited by Lord Gud

Weren't you the one I bought the Christian from? :) So much about "got myself some money by trading".

--

I am all in for role playing elements. Quests are okay as long as they are not mandatory to everyone. Like you can chose to take them or follow your own path. I for example had never worries what to do next, did not need a guidance, set my own goals.

However, I think after reading your well sketched quest line that you would need figurines for players, for walking in ports, for talking with NPC, and this is something we don't have at all and would require a big, a substantial large patch to implement in the game as it is right now.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

4 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Weren't you the one I bought the Christian from? :) So much about "got myself some money by trading".

--

I am all in for role playing elements. Quests are okay as long as they are not mandatory to everyone. Like you can chose to take them or follow your own path. I for example had never worries what to do next, did not need a guidance, set my own goals.

However, I think after reading your well sketched quest line that you would need figurines for players, for walking in ports, for talking with NPC, and this is something we don't have at all and would require a big, a substantial large patch to implement in the game as it is right now.

Yes indeed, I'm that one!

Well, you don't really need fully 3D modelled figurines. A 2D portret in the new UI styles with the quest plot in text would already defintely do it. The best thing would definitely be that it is optional content. That never hurts, but retains players who like that content. It adds additional sand to what already is a great sandbox.

Edited by Anymn

<<It adds additional sand to what already is a great sandbox.>>

Don't know how this sentence came into your citation of my post, but I like it.

By the way, the quest thing if handled right could open up a huge opportunity for modders if this part would be released with an editor to the community. No game-breaking feature, just for story-telling. Modding is a bit difficult for a game like NA where basic rules of engagement must stay safe from manipulation. But once it works in minor things like quests aside the untouchable core mechanism, it would add a long source of interest to both veterans and new buyers, with new content coming at no costs to devs. I know from games like Space Engineers.

• Like 1

For the quote: I've made a mistake in editing my own post. Most likely a lack of coffee.

I understand the modding idea, but I'm not sure how that would work out in an MMO. What I could foresee however, is e.g. a monthly contest to submit quest scripts, which could be implemented in the next patch. I'm sure there is enough creativity within the community to come-up with realistic scripts. Once the system is in place, adding new quests shouldn't be too much work, as it doesn't change current game systems; it only chains them into a logical and challenging order.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anymn said:

At the same time, it has no drawbacks, because any player can ignore their quests at any time.

Quests, Exams, Patrol Zones Etc. are okay for other players as long as they are not mandatory. 

Personally I have no interested in game generated quests although some optional rewards for acheiving goals are okay.  The patrol zone is a good example of an "optional rewards for goals" .

Some players prefer to create their own content in an MMO.

Edited by Macjimm