Game-Labs Forum

AI standard crew space removal

Can we get rid of the standard crew space trim on OW AI? What's the purpose of it anyways? Do we really need this restriction when it is so easy to build ships by the dozen each day with exactly the woods you desire? I would actually really like how the special trims are exclusive to AI ships to make capturing and using AI a bit more interesting but the standard crew space is somewhat off-putting.

Can we have all wood combinations possible for OW AI ships? This would increase OW content a bit, since you could then find truly unique and rare ships. Hunting AI with the goal to find those ships seems like very easily implemented PvE OW content.

Maybe some AI refits could use a very minor buff aswell, so they're equal to the crafting trims but more unique and specific. The complete randomness of frame/planking/trim would balance the trims enough through scarcity / rarity alone. First you have to find a proper combination of woods, then a good trim with it and ideally additional slots. 

@admin

• Like 9

We would still need to craft the line ships and those are much more resource hungry than the lower rates. So this could be interesting to test. Easier access to decent ships for all might not be so bad for this game.

But it would be useful to see what build an AI ship is in the battle, before you decide to bring it with you out of the battle. Just like we can with player ships..  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Borch said:

crafting, OW PvP battles and in some cases - RvR.

In your post you're talking about perfect builds and finding them but I can imagine that not even perfect builds could be usefull as well and not so hard to find. Wouldn't all the RvR effort, crafting mats, hauling etc be less important with that change?

As I mentioned crafting is much more efficient and easy and arguably has the better trims available ( except for very few ) and you can not capture 1-3 rates ( or 1-4 ? ) leaving you with little gain for RvR.

Imagine you want a T/WO Endymion. Craft a few and you might very well end up with a Very Fast, Very Sturdy or Heavy rig. Now imagine you want to capture something similar from AI ( can't even get the same since crafting has its own trims ) with every combination like Live oak/fir possible... how long would it take?

I don't see a problem with crafting, since capturing enough NPCs to get a decent one is more effort than crafting or redeeming one for free.

Just now, Sovereign said:

capturing enough NPCs to get a decent one is more effort than crafting or redeeming one for free

Actually, regarding gaming time, it might be quite equivalent if you compute the time transporting the resources, and the risk of being intercepted.

( not considering the full warehouses of stuff of late testing phase without wipe )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Borch said:

would actually affect RvR very much.

Yeah, maybe so but only shallow RvR and only very few AI trims are actually good and useful enough for RvR. The high tier crafting trims are better than the vast majority of AI trims. And even if you find something like T/WO/Cartagena refit ( only +3% armor thickness over T/WO/VerySturdy ), which would be about as lucky as crafting a gold ship, this would be the absolute exception and you won't be able to make a fleet of those ( more likely to build a gold ship fleet that would easily outperform the AI ships too ). Also OW AI are the most accessible of all ships, no need for DLC or having reals for resources - anyone can simply sail out and capture it. So I am not seeing much of a balance issue.

I agree with this, AI ships are underated, more variety in the trim would lend itself well to the feature of capture. Crew space isn't bad it just gets dull being the only trim. Something to spice up the mix would be fantastic, especially since it seems we're never going to get 4-1st rate capture.

Edited by Slim McSauce

5 hours ago, Tiedemann said:

But it would be useful to see what build an AI ship is in the battle, before you decide to bring it with you out of the battle. Just like we can with player ships..  

Yes! This is a restriction that makes no sense.