Game-Labs Forum

look out perk

was any thought ever given to a perk along the lines of ... a look out. Somebody on ship who can ascertain the ship / fleet composition of your target ?

It would imho be much like the sextant perk, a valuable tool to those starting out who are unsure of who they are attacking / running from and less of an issue as you gain confidence in your abilities

please ignore if discussed already, the internet is awash with out of date info and searching for a topic seems to send you in circles

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The huge irony is that this change was a great departure from realism and it made game play worse...

Historically captains and crew had to be well educated in recognising ships (both enemy and friendly) at a distance (i.e from their rigging) as well as flags. They also had to recognise land masses by their profile btw. That we have to identify by spyglass what ships our enemies are fielding is both historical and immersive in my opinion.

I see all the time people misidentify enemy ships in nation chats (calling out indiamans as bellonas or bellonas for Christians and so on). That is just poor seamanship. By experience you learn to be better.

• Like 3

Really, fleet composition should be displayed if not modeled on ow, at least from a certain distance, even more if ai become aggresive again.. 

Hiding enemy captain's name from OW don't bother me, that was just to please the top 5 solo pvper bored that everyone was running from them.

But we should be able to send message to enemy players, if not chat, at least some quick message (flag signal) like "friend or foe ?" "fair winds" "no mercy" "salute" "trade ?" 

A Perk for sound signal when a foreign sail appear at horizon could be popular.

• Like 1

well it is good what we have now,

but i can understand that if you are not a skilled captain to recognize ships it ould be a good item to have for the younger captains andwhen you are a skilled captain you can drop that feature

i see no problem in having a perk for recognizing ships for young captains

I can't recognize ships. I know some, but too few.   It's important to be able to do so quickly because my reaction should vary depending on the type of vessel sighted.

I've been creating a quick guide to ships so I can look them up fast.  A friend suggested that I practice in OW with the spyglass to become proficient.  It's a good idea.  There is often insufficient time to look up the ship type and it's better points of sail.

Until I know the ships at a glance I'm at risk.  Without knowing the ship I don't even know which direction to flee.  So I need to learn.

I think that ship recognition is a core skill.  Players should be skilled enough to quickly decide on type of ship that could be a potential threat.

When we dumb the game down we make it less interesting.

I would like to have a lookout perk that shouts out when a sail, or ship, is sighted. There must be an option to toggle it off.

17 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I want a lookout who will shout (Sail-Ho!) whenever a ship becomes visible.

This should be standard not a perk. We have hundreds of sailors so they should make some noise :)

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

This should be standard not a perk. We have hundreds of sailors so they should make some noise :)

Yes. And simulated visual conditions. Too much sun they can't see jack more than 2 miles out, too much haze the same. ( tag distance )

Also, one thing. The spotting at distance was about the rigging. Details of enemy ships themselves would only become visible quite close, not at 16 miles away in the best day.

But yeah, I get your jest. Full information all the time...

The only suggestion I like is the drawing of fleet ships in OW...  they should be like ducks following the lead ship and would make the visual of having a fleet ship more interesting imho, plus potentially intimidating when you encounter enemy ships... please do that one admin it would be visually very cool :)