Game-Labs Forum

Join Time/Space Solution

38 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I've played with 10min timers, 30min signal timers and even outlaw battles.  No I wasn't present during this mythical sea trials days where the game was 1000% better yet somehow it was changed and none of those cats still play anymore.  Longer join timers are more fun and players need to be far more strategic in where they fought,  knowing reinforcements could be on their way and impact the current battle at present.  2 mins is not even enough time for ships in your party to all join the same battle if they are within sight of each other.  We were out in a mixed fleet last night hunting brits and in every single battle we had players left out that were not able to make it within 2 mins.  Then again, I actually play this game and have to suffer the development choices a token few seem to consistently request, but never seem to be around long enough to test out.  I also don't exclusively gank solo tbrigs in the shallows with 3 or 4 of my buddies all in princes.

Players of your ilk and the "more immersion" crew like this game to be more hardcore and realistic.  I'm not exactly sure what is realistic about a battle instance that closes 2 mins after it starts and no one can enter even if the battle drags on for hours and players magically pop out in the same spot despite sailing inside the battle for 2 hours.....    VS  a battle that players can join as they sail by and enter the fray, hence recreating in a sense real world battles where ships friendly or foe could enter an engagement well after the initial shots were fired.

A 3-5 min timer with positional joining based on time where players join further away from the cross swords seems to be the most fair all around standard ROE imo.

You sound really aggro, bro....   have you been getting enough sleep?

Its very important.

• Like 1

Ok some say, that the current 2 min timer is not enough to always allow everybody who saw the battle starting to join in time. I totally believe that but isn't it more because we have to sail to those annoying small join circles instead of joining at the edge of something? Aren't they the biggest hindrance to get to a battle in time? We sometimes literally have to sail once through the whole battle area to join. So we first get rid off that again and then talk about join timers.

Also the size of potential join circle is important. We had one in the past, which was way to small and allowed to cut off the attacked player by sailing to the other end in OW and suddenly join right in his escape path. The size of the circle should always be proportional to the given join timer to prevent that. It should be as simple as calculating how long one can sail at the fastest possible speed in the given time right?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You sound really aggro, bro....   have you been getting enough sleep?

Its very important.

Typically when one can’t comprehend or come up with a better argument they choose to belittle the other persons passion with humor.  It’s juvenile and beneath you.  Tsk tsk Vernon.  I know you’re smarter than that

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Ships sailing too fast on OW is the core issue, this is actually proven, as no ship in the period could reach 30 knts.
It's safe to say ships sail 2x too fast through OW for consistency.
So go ahead, defend 30knt sailing.
I'll wait.

... well, if I would be a trader, I would not sell you anything anymore 😉 because you just made my long time sailing even longer. Do not increase the time waste.

Edited by Sir Loorkon

14 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

2 minutes is actually fine, but something about battle's closing in front of you should be done.

Yes :) sail closer to your buddies.

But the larger join areas is a interesting one. Would indeed make them 50% larger with spawn point 50% further as well.

• Like 1