Game-Labs Forum

Lynx / Mosquidobit ship armarment

Sorry if there is already a topic about it have not find any.

I was reading the wiki article about the battle of Rappahannock river, and learned that Lynx was in fact a 6 x 12lb gun baltimore clipper then renamed Mosquidobit and equiped with 8x 18lb carronades and 2x 6lb guns

In game the lynx is closer to the tall ship Lynx replica armament with the 8x 12lb carronades (Replica have 8x 6lb carro with 4 swivel guns.)

I suggest to keep the trader-lynx as it is now.

but allow Lynx to get:

-8x 12lb guns / 18lb carro   + 2x 2lb guns (swivel)

or

-6x12lb guns / 18lb carro  + 2x  6lb guns  / 18lb carro on the same level.

This would give the non-trader Lynx version some love, originality and punch.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 4

Just now, Licinio Chiavari said:

Honestly.

I'd like a total realism (sailing and gunnery wise) and total historicity... BUT it could end being unplayable or too unbalanced.

It's a game, and a MMO, not a pure simulation game. Some bargains are needed.

Yeah, think about.....No square rigged ship sailing within 60 degrees of the wind.....We cant have pure realism.

• Like 1

Just now, Licinio Chiavari said:

Honestly.

I'd like a total realism (sailing and gunnery wise) and total historicity... BUT it could end being unplayable or too unbalanced.

It's a game, and a MMO, not a pure simulation game. Some bargains are needed.

No other ship has been under gunned as you say. Not even the Wasa when it was imbalanced. I think the lynx and it's 8 12's and 2 swivels will be fine. If it's so much of a problem just give swivels too the other 7th rates like they should already have.

Edited by Slim McSauce

6 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

No other ship has been under gunned as you say. Not even the Wasa when it was imbalanced. I think the lynx and it's 8 12's and 2 swivels will be fine. If it's so much of a problem just give swivels too the other 7th rates like they should already have.

You are missing the mast sniping crap.

Without it there would be no real balancing issues using 12pd. But with it, already 9pd are fine demasting a surp. Would you like to see a Lynx demasting a Surp at range too?

A lot of balancing issues are linked even if not at first glance.

22 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

You are missing the mast sniping crap.

Without it there would be no real balancing issues using 12pd. But with it, already 9pd are fine demasting a surp. Would you like to see a Lynx demasting a Surp at range too?

A lot of balancing issues are linked even if not at first glance.

A lynx is just as easily demasted, with only 4 guns per side you'd have to be an expert shot, while most other ships you face have 20+ guns albeit of smaller caliber. But pen is not an issue at these levels.

Lynx would stay balanced as it only have 50 crew, that mean you can merely fully crew your largest guns and keep enough men on sails, and that's 4 gun per side, and loosing a gun is frequent on such ships..  at least it would have a reason to be used.

About the Privateer, it's supposed to be based on the Lynx of 1814 while the Lynx is the Lynx of 1812. But the model is the in-game Lynx (based on the replica) made larger and rearranged by the devs. To me it looks a lot like the Pride of Baltimore wich is inspired by the topsail schooner "Chasseur" from 1812 wich had 160 men  (but 16x 12lb carro) Another baltimore topsail schooner from this time like USS Nonsuch had up to 110 men as a privateer and 12 x 12lb carro, that would make it the boarder version, same carronade broadside weight but double complement.

Having Lynx - 50 crewmen - 6x12lb guns / 18lb carro  + 2x  6lb guns  / 18lb carro on the same level

and Privateer - 110 crewmen- 12x 6lb guns / 12lb carro  (imo it can keep it's 18lb top carro)

They would be a good pair, one small good heavier guns for starters to move up from the basic cutter (Lynx) and one boarder (Privateer), Pickle stay the solid one with good all around wind profile..

Lynx is extinct, bring it back to life first ! Give it some love please.

Edited by Baptiste Gallouédec
  • Like 2