Game-Labs Forum

French Ships of the line - Ideas

Rafael

Hi Guys,

Had to post this French 74 as it has great potential as the main 3rd rate (vanilla) with different variants made of it and so many built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A9m%C3%A9raire-class_ship_of_the_line

There is a great list of French SOL's at the bottom on this link obviously finding the plans is the hard part but will start looking.

Just a quick idea but i'll look at posting this over in suggestions, i would recommend focusing on building the version of the class of ship you want not a specific ship (yes i realize its just a name) as this will allow you to give the players some freedom with their class of ship in game possibly making some changes as they did historically (Razee, Coppering etc) or like the ship linked above slightly smaller version of the same design.

last note as a example - HMS Surprise cool ship lots of story's written around it but i would much prefer to have a ship of her class (Unite Class Corvette) than the actual Surprise as having 20 or 100 Surprises sailing around kinda kills it. (yes i am assuming this is more for fan love the finished game implementation.)

Anyway great work guys 

• Like 1

You have to type plan 74-gun ship large model Sané-Borda. The standard plan is adopted in 1782.

From 1782 to 1800, 54 ships of 74-gun large model are built according to the standard plan Sané.
The Téméraire is first.

A bit older ship, the Tre Cronor from the Dutch historical website "Orlogsbasen".

Not Dutch, Danish :) Two different countries Dutch = Netherlands/Holland , Danish = Denmark/Danmark

And i believe this is a thread about French Ship of the lines ;)

The first drawing of Montebello ship date of 1812. It is found in the British Library.

It is listed on the drawing:
The Wagram, the Austerlitz, the Imperial were made at Toulon on the same drawing, and the Ville de Vienne in Rochefort.

The 1822 drawing shows the vessel after it refit of 12 / 24e in Toulon. I can not put the first drawing, but here are a representation of the Wagram (sistership) before the refit.

vaisse13.jpg

And a representation of Montebello after the redesign.

vaisse14.jpg

The Commerce de Marseille (1788-1793) is prior to Montebello (1812-1867). It is not the same regulation but same type.