Game-Labs Forum
Werewolf

Good job killing off solo players.

6 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

Friend, i dont think, we are that far away from each other :)

...again, its not me, no worries, i stay with the game, but i see the flaws, especially for the not-so-veteran players !!!

I play the advocate for the hopefully masses which will flood the game after release.../sarcasm off

Lets all face it:

The game is too hard for fresh players ! Even after hundreds of hours playtime its too hard ! All those ragequitters who never come back tell the story...

And we should ask ourself what we want:

An extremly hardcore environment which is even harder than EVE Online with an abysmal small playerbase...or a game with thousands of happy players every day...which is hardcore as it is, but a bit more forgiving and not so leaned heavily to the ganking crowd

Just think about in earlier times we had 5 copies of each ship...

I agree, sir.  And that is why I'm asking you questions...

I think our only real disagreement is what realistic expectations should be for solo players versus team players.  

Having played as both, I can attest that playing solo and getting to the point where I can afford the loss of a significant part of my money takes FAR longer than playing as a group.  

Nobody wants to see solo player rage-quit...  but at the same time it SHOULD be hard mode.  Its my opinion.  And its ok if yours is different.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I call that bs, wich poor solo player get out with all his fortune in hold with multiple fleet ships  and sail in ow getting jumped by gank fleet ? Anyone going solo with 3 indiaman will get out when the server pop is at the lowest and sail the farther possible potential encounter...  You talk about clan guys not bothering risking their hold because already megarich, or stupid enough to not sail in group. If you are solo and doing this, you got too greedy / impatient and lost (this time) in no way a reason to ragequit.

If you expected to gain time to allow you fleet to escape and instantly find them back tp'ed in safety, this would be stupidly too easy, everyone would tag the first ai and tp to a safe harbour

I agree to you in this point, we had this teleport mechanic and we all used it...maybe now its more realistic (ofc it is !!), but it opens up to endless ganking...plus you cant logg off anymore when you have to leave the game

I dont say, i have a better idea, but the current state can be very frustrating when you lose your whole fleet !

This left you basically with the choice to either go without a fleet because you can lose only one ship or try to protect your Trader(s) and risk losing all

4 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Cannon  reloading is actually true to life. That's how you know there is no time dialation. The only thing that's actually timed in NA is fairly on spot, while everything else is just shrunk down to make it appear faster.

Another of your inane assertions that is easily debunked by use of the search function.  Come on man.

And another mechanic that has been tried at both ends of the spectrum and found to be best balanced by the devs to promote playability....

• Like 1

For long time I played solo.

And I hated (and I hate) farming and trading (damn too boring). So usually pretty low on cash/shiny stuff.

And still now in an enjoyable group, I am one of the most often sailing alone.

The reason because usually even most veterans dont sail around alone on big slow ships, is because they cant pick the fight but have to accept what they meet. Also a group faster and with more firepower.

Again: NA is a MMO with OW. Not a MOBA arena.

And like in warfare there's nothing like fairness.

So you have to trade firepower and sturdiness for speed. People trade speed for sturdiness where there's a different RoE, like in PZ.

If someone pretends to have a decent life espectancy alone on a lo/wo Indefetigable he's a fool.

As it is suicidical sailing with 4 indiamans (already shouting the world you have no perks) as it is sailing on overloaded traders... Not being ready to dump cargo if intercepted (I have still to understand why 99% traders overload and do not dump if being chased).

In NA, bad or good (and I think it is a refreshing experience from majority of MMOs) what matters is smartness, then experience... Pure 'skill' (reaction speed and aiming) comes last and it's needed only to become the best of best.

• Like 3

"I'm in danger" :)

*confusion intensifies*

*insert insterstellar docking music*

15 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Its always cute when people who cant even understand the concept of time-compression think they're witty enough to use sarcasm.

Oh no!  What is this!! A counter-argument on a "forum"?!?  Someone wake Socrates!!

"cant join battle in front of me after 2 minutes for reasons".............

Because that reason is that 2 mins. is equal to maybe 6 hours in "battle time"....  

I would suggest that your attempts are "cute", however.

A battle begins, and after 2 minutes closes. I arrive at the battle, but cant enter. I wait for the battle to finish, and the ships to appear. Have I not teleported to them?

• Like 2

Just now, Monfet said:

A battle begins, and after 2 minutes closes. I arrive at the battle, but cant enter. I wait for the battle to finish, and the ships to appear. Have I not teleported to them?

damn lol, that's quite the argument.

You travelled, during those 2 minutes at 75x more speed than the ships inside the battle.

Basically the "umpire" is telling you that your ship may travel that distance but it will arrive, in battle timescale, too late and the battle is resolved.

If it was 1:1 scale you wouldn't even know the battle had started, you'd be 75 minutes sailing away.

• Like 4

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I don't think you could ever counter his point. It's like a black hole which completely destroys everything we know about space and time, therefore it's all theory as to how its suppose to work within the scope of the game.

Edited by Slim McSauce

5 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

You travelled, during those 2 minutes at 75x more speed than the ships inside the battle.

Basically the "umpire" is telling you that your ship may travel that distance but it will arrive, in battle timescale, too late and the battle is resolved.

If it was 1:1 scale you wouldn't even know the battle had started, you'd be 75 minutes sailing away.

see this is the problem. I dont arrive too late. i arrive at the exact moment the battle ends. in fact ive been waiting there for days/weeks

• Like 1

Just now, Slim McSauce said:

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I don't think you could ever explain that. It's like a black hole which completely destroys everything we know about space and time.

Orrrrrrrrrrr........    Its how we dont spend 10 real time days sailing across the map.

Again, the search function is your friend.   Its all there for you to read and hopefully digest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monfet said:

see this is the problem. I dont arrive too late. i arrive at the exact moment the battle ends. in fact ive been waiting there for days/weeks

Wrong.  You arrived AFTER the battle ends.....  Hence the reason for post-battle invisibility and time compression.  

Want to be in the same battle as your friends?   Sail within 2 minutes of them.

Just now, Vernon Merrill said:

Wrong.  You arrived AFTER the battle ends.....  Hence the reason for post-battle invisibility and time compression.  

He actually got there as the battle was going. There is no time difference, we're all in the same realm. As he waits the people inside are fighting in the exact spot he arrived. Beyond that you're reaching to explain poor ROE.

You forget that the only reason battles don't stay open is because land prevents battle circle growing. Otherwise we would have battles open for as long as the join circle could reasonably grow.

Edited by Slim McSauce

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

lol dont you just love an internet argument? :)

Wrong. I arrived there in the time that the battle was happening.  I was even waiting for them "outside" the battle. the invisibility thing is just a "teleport 60 seconds in a direction".

Also i forgot. " Its always cute when people who cant even understand the concept of time-compression think they're witty enough to use sarcasm. "

Edited by Monfet

I'm not reaching at all.....  

The fact that you refuse to acknowledge one of the core mechanics of the game remains YOUR problem.

You think this is "Sailaway with Guns".  Its not.

• Like 2

Just now, Monfet said:

Also i forgot. " Its always cute when people who cant even understand the concept of time-compression think they're witty enough to use sarcasm. "

It's so complicated and theoretical and beyond what any game should try to have you explain as a mechanic. Not only that but it doesn't hold up because physics and logic cannot explain something that's illogical and breaks the laws of physics (a black hole)

Edited by Slim McSauce

You arrived too late for the battle because the game says so.  It's not a sci-fi movie, its a game and palyability rules say its bad for you to pile in after an arbitrary amount of time.. 

• Like 2

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

You arrived too late for the battle because the game says so.  It's not a sci-fi movie, its a game and palyability rules say its bad for you to pile in after an arbitrary amount of time.. 

Again, time is not the issue, it's SIZE. 
Why do you think we don't have ever growing join circles? That's the intention.
There is no time difference, yes the game would let you pile in if they could put your farther away from the center to simulate that.
Otherwise you disregard simulation and leave it to theory of relativity which good luck, no one here is smart enough to make that a law and explain the current join mechanic.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

I don't really like to call people stupid....  maybe just uninformed.

That's just discribing the problem, it's not actually information to be considered, it's all up for interpretation because there's nothing solid about time dialation.
But I do agree with exiting battle's should take you far away and not in the same moment in time and space that you got there.
That's too hard of a snap to connect 2 seperate pieces of in game realities.

Edited by Slim McSauce

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I don't really like to call people stupid....  maybe just uninformed.

ok we get it you can use the search bar.

completely irrelevant to the discussion we are having right now, but usefull

Sweet Jesus, man.    

Now you're just making yourself look silly.

Edited by Vernon Merrill

Just because people don't want other people joining their battles from the other side of the world or even from a port nearby, the timer is set to 2 minutes( after a lot of tests to find the optimal amount of time).The tagger invested time and effort to make a good tag. Why should his battle be ruined by a bunch of dudes teleporting between ports waiting for these kind of situations? If you really cared about saving your friend in need the you should have sailed with him. Simple as that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Vernon Merrill said:

Sweet Jesus, man.    

Now you're just making yourself look silly.

dude, have fun. honestly. I'm not gonna argue anymore. I hope you are happy with the current state of the game. honest truth. i just cant help but feel sad every time i look at the bottom left corner of the screen. Same goes to you too sella.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

You all can argue about the mechanics of time dilation and why it is what it is, but at the core of everything should be your consideration of whether the current join timer creates good game play.  I argue that two minute timers do not, primarily because the server population and PvP opportunities are too few and too far between.

Therefore, you compromise not on the basis of all the pseudo-intellectualization of the role that time dilation plays, etc. (if we're talking about disconnects in time and space scales, please explain to me why ship size, topography, and port models are so screwed up in their relative scales?!) Instead you should set join timers on the basis of whether it makes a good game or not. Three to five minute join timers seem completely legitimate and creates opportunities for larger and more varied engagements than two minute timers do with server populations as crap as they are. It also makes territory control more important because sailing in someone else's home waters where help could still get there if scrambled out of an Outpost is a very real threat.

Will there be a few more ganks of poor, AI farming players? Sure.. but they're just going to get ganked after the battle ends under two minute timers anyway.

You can argue both sides of that equation.  As an attacker, when I jump somebody, I want the battle to close quickly.  Leave me in peace to kill this guy!  On the defensive side, we want lots of time for help to arrive.  Devs have done this in the reinforcement zone.  I say the two minute time in OW is arbitrary, but it's really not.  A decision was made for a variety of reasons and this is the result.  Maybe you're right that it should be longer.  That would certainly make my "hunter" side happy.  For me, the patrol zone timer is the worst.  Once I'm in a battle and damaged, it's very demoralizing to have a bunch of players jump in and finish me off.  There's really no point in looting your defeated foe in that case.....very sad....

• Like 2