Game-Labs Forum

Make Sextant perk standard

I don't see the point of having this QoL feature as part of the perk selection to be honest. I am fairly certain no ship was sent to sea without navigation tools at the time the game is supposed to take place. We also have other workarounds to tell us our location and thus the perk is only QoL and even if trader tool, coords and everything else will be removed eventually, almost everyone will run Sextant perk anyways, so what's the point? I'd much rather have the sextant perk as default but maybe not as accurate as it is now, it should give a more general location instead of pinpoint accurate GPS.

• Like 5

What can I say sometimes :)

It should be standard, but gps accuracy is horrible. 

* Map should have lat / long coordinates. 

* Ship symbol inside a big circle, accuracy worse than 20 km, diameter like 10 km, or something like that. 

• Like 1

Please don't force all players to have a magic GPS icon on the map.

Navigating is one of the few activities available in OW.  The GPS icon makes navigating impossible with the map in game.

So allow an option to toggle off the GPS icon or have it as a perk.

Please don't force all players to always see their position on the map.  Allow sailing to be fun with the in-game map.

38 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Navigating is one of the few activities available in OW

How do you navigate in game, without traders tool :)

We have speed, time but no distance scale without traders tool, so you can only navigate using some visual cues, so you need to get close to some land or port. Otherwise you can not make routes with legs. As trader tool gonna be removed. 

• Like 1

You can navigate by dead reckoning farly easy in this game, since there is no drift. We used to play the game with out map in the first ow test phase and you could still make landfall near the port you wanted to go to after long open sea trips, but there was also the lurking danger of getting lost (no trader tool back then). Sometimes i think all the qualtiy of live things (tp, trade tool, sextant perk, multi repairs in battle...) are makeing the game just boring. 

• Like 5

I thought just about every ship had navigation tools by this period, what gives? If you don't want to use them don't use them, but don't detract from historical accuracy by saying we don't need them.

It's like prepared being a perk, how dishonest would it be to say that every captain wouldn't have their guns loaded as soon as an enemy is sighted? It's not a gameplay element it's just being lazy.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

How do you navigate in game, without traders tool :)

We have speed, time but no distance scale without traders tool, so you can only navigate using some visual cues, so you need to get close to some land or port. Otherwise you can not make routes with legs. As trader tool gonna be removed. 

There is no drift from wind or currents.  We have lazer accurate directional travel.  The wind change is steady and predictable.   All that remains is to determine distance from the time traveled.   Record your time for a couple journeys and you will know the rates of travel.  Then you can use a timer, like a stop watch, to measure distance.  But you need to pay attention to your speed.

Once you have the rates of travel for a few points of sail you can navigate with multiple waypoints, even out at sea, far away from landmarks and coastlines.

Determining distances  and  noting the the times can create a small challenge while sailing.  Provides  something to do.  Using the knowledge to plot a course and keep track of your progress provides another small challenge, more to do while sailing. 

For those that don't like navigation we now have the GPS icon on the map, and the icon is available for a couple of perks. 

It's unfortunate that there is not a keybind that could toggle the GPS icon on and off.  Then the players who want it easy can keep the GPS icon on their map always, and those who prefer to navigate can chose when to reveal a position fix (as if the ship's pilot used the sextant.) 

Adding an on/off switch to the GPS icon seems like a small request.

If the GPS icon is always on the ingame map then the only way to navigate will be to avoid looking at the ingame map and use only a third party map.

31 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

I thought just about every ship had navigation tools by this period, what gives? If you don't want to use them don't use them, but don't detract from historical accuracy by saying we don't need them.

It's like prepared being a perk, how dishonest would it be to say that every captain wouldn't have their guns loaded as soon as an enemy is sighted? It's not a gameplay element it's just being lazy.

Then explain me how Nelson departs to the West Indies after the French and arrives weeks before. I bet it was the counter clock wise wind rotation...Look, we have a perk. It is perfect gps for those that want it.

9 minutes ago, rediii said:

Its a perk you decide for or against it. Implementing this perk takes more devtime than not implementing this and make everyone start with loaded guns.

I dont get the lazy part. :D 

Realism or not it is a gameplay element and a option of customization like other stuff.

it's pretty simple actually. 20km circle every hour or so.

I'm pretty sure that's your original idea too.

taking something extremely common making it a 'perk' and calling that a deep gameplay choice is laughable.
It's just more filler.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 1

or just make is standard, make it not perfect gps and make it just a regular part of navigation for those who want it.

no need to complicate or make it "special". It's just a sextant, just about every ship had it and I'm pretty sure it was manditory as an officer to know how to use one.

same with prepared, or fleet 1. not perk worthy.

Edited by Slim McSauce

It kind of saddens me to read how some players find navigating in NA interesting or even describe it as content. Currently it is trader tool and gps cords ( perk not even needed, only QoL ) and after they remove it, basically it will come down to protractor tool and guessing or simply staying in sight of the coast. It is not like we have an accurate star map that we could read to navigate or other navigation tools that would actually make it interesting and skill demanding.

I'll just leave this here.

I for one find it rather dull to imagine sailing the most advanced, cutting-edge technology vessels of the 18th century, while navigating like a peasant on a raft in the bronze age probably would have. In my opinion navigation should either be more skill based, in-depth and especially sophisticated or simply sextant perk made standard.

With coords and trader tool removed, navigation will be annoying at worst and boring at best ( without sextant perk ). Also people will most likely still find ways to get the coords with a workaround.

Edited by Sovereign

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

or just make is standard, make it not perfect gps and make it just a regular part of navigation for those who want it.

no need to complicate or make it "special". It's just a sextant, just about every ship had it and I'm pretty sure it was manditory as an officer to know how to use one.

same with prepared, or fleet 1. not perk worthy.

"no need to complicate or make it "special". It's just a sextant, just about every ship had it and I'm pretty sure it was manditory as an officer to know how to use one."

Midshipmen were trained to use sextants under the baleful gaze of the ships Master, failure to master the sextant guaranteed failing the Lieutenant's board. Such was the importance of the sextant at sea.  

38 minutes ago, Greysteak said:

I'd rather be lost.

Why? What's the point? I am not evaluating your opinion, just being curious.

It can't even be a roleplay thing or about exploration, since NA is not settled during the 15th century or about Christopher Columbus sailing across the atlantic. The map is already completely discovered.

What's the catch for you?

During the timeframe of NA only a complete and utter retard, who shouldn't have been in command of a proper ship in the first place, would have been lost sailing through the caribbean, except for maybe getting into a heavy storm.

So it's not very realistic or historically accurate.

Now in terms of gameplay, the only way you can really get lost is if you go afk or don't pay attention to where you are going at all. Sextant perk is more a convenient QoL feature than worth a perk slot in my opinion. 

The thing is I want to be able to know at least my rough location without having to look for landmarks like some native american in a hello kittying canoe, as it would be historically accurate but I don't see why I should give up a perk slot for it ( every proper ship had a sextant and other navigation tools, aswell as several celestial bodies to guide them ).

That being said, it would be a cool additional feature that you can not use all this, if you get into a storm. Maybe this would be a good compromise? More frequent storms that cause players to get lost, maybe push them off course too? Avoiding storms could be a thing too and make it even more realistic. That could be interesting.

Maybe they should really just make it standard BUT give everyone the option to disable it, so they can go full reverse C. Columbus and discover Europe by accident.

yeah so it doesn't warrant being an perfect pinpoint gps system, neither does it warrant not having one at all.

how about meet in the middle and make it pretty inaccurate, but throw have it to the side like pray button or ship games so you can use it when you actually need it.

hell, make it a skill, each time you level it up it gets ever so more accurate.

Currently it is not a SEXTANT, it is a GPS :) , (GPS which we have started to use after around 1959 !!!)

I know about dead-reckoning, but when you use map for it, you better have a distance scale.

So it is not making sense to make travels and measure your average speed with changing wind, so you can know a distance scale for your map. And now you can do dead-reckoning :):)this is a big lol

I think every proper map has a distance scale, for our game, it can be the protractor beam, or another scale on some side of the map :) 

So you will know speed, distance, time, you can properly dead reckon. Of course would be nice to plot on the map, some routes with legs, just like in the Felix Map :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Why? What's the point?

I enjoy the challenge of it.  If I can't find my way I should get lost.  I can find my way actually, it's not that difficult as long as I'm paying attention.  And, I like that it effectively gives me an extra perk compared to someone who just has to use it for the sextant.