Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Pirate78

Game is too hard to press play again.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

And real P2W players, those with a bulk of alts, will gladly thank you.

Not to speak about even single account traders that often are not top rank.

Surely the value of new players outweighs the (nuisance) value of alts.

Playerbase growth feeds the realm and men (most important).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Also, is not really a solo game. It can be played solo, but as a multiplayer game the balance and mechanics, both economics and military, are aimed at coop and group play and eventually full fledged multiplayer wars.

Do clans jump right into a game, like 30 new players at once and start playing right of the bat or…

Do clans build from a existing playerbase…

That is, a playerbase of solo’s, casuals and friends.

I think you guys need to go back and rethink your master plan, especially for player growth!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BuckleUpBones said:

Do clans jump right into a game, like 30 new players at once and start playing right of the bat or…

Do clans build from a existing playerbase…

That is, a playerbase of solo’s, casuals and friends.

I think you guys need to go back and rethink your master plan, especially for player growth!

I don't have to do anything man, i'm just a player, same as you. Open you eyes please.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, BuckleUpBones said:

Add to that…

+1 -1 rank battle limit, including group formation, this is the way to keep ganking in check, at commodore or rear admiral everyone fights each other but every other new player gets a chance.

Sure it will lower PvP content sort term but in long term, the playerbase will grow and along with it PvP content.

The trouble with this:

I’m sure I’m not alone in that I learned this game and earned my rank by sailing with experienced captains. Just sailing around doing low level missions by yourself or even with a bunch of other newbs is a painful endeavor.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 7:47 PM, Hullabaloo 'The Thief' said:

I sympathise a bit with what this guy is saying. Experienced players know that in fact it's probably a bit too easy to make money if anything (and ridiculously easy if you have an alt or 2!). But if you have just started and you do not have someone to tell you (like a clan) it would actually be quite reasonable to think that you make money from the real reward you get for sinking ships and that would be a pretty awful grind. It might sound odd but I wonder if it might not be better to remove the Real reward completely (it's a pittance anyway) and just have the xp rewards and perhaps increase the loot drops to compensate. This might prevent this misunderstanding and draw new players into the need to trade/buy and sell and use the economy?

Remove the cost for crew, repairs and rum and I'm willing to spit in my hand! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Farrago said:

I’m sure I’m not alone in that I learned this game and earned my rank by sailing with experienced captains. Just sailing around doing low level missions by yourself or even with a bunch of other newbs is a painful endeavor.

 

Most learn from trial and error, some from wise-old clan mentors or YouTube even.

But no one learns anything once they have quit.

The trick is to keep whomever in the game for as long as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Open you eyes

I just don't get this, even after 6 hours, what are you actually referring to.

But please don’t reply with same old slogans of the boardroom wall, could you be original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s saying he’s a moderator.  Not a developer.  Therefore his opinion has the same validity as yours.  

Therefore he has no “master plan for player growth”.

We all play the game as we see fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

He’s saying he’s a moderator

Yes I keep making that mistake, of seeing moderators as “Representatives” of the game and not the forum.

And mistakenly thinking (because they have sign on) that they may have oppressed there true opinion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's prepare a "guide" book :)

1) Solo players guide book.

2) Sea battles basics. 

3) Crafting, manufacturing, farming, resource gathering basics.

4)  Economy and trading basics.

5) Establising a clan and maintaining it. 

6) RVR basics. 

7)...

Let's prepare functional, not too complex guides, agree on them to be useful, plenty and basic. 

Request @admin to put it in the main menu, like tutorial. Flash it for few times for anybody, with option "do not show it again" . But everyone in game, new or veteran should know there are general guides in the menu, if they need some basic help.

So developers will focus on their thing, we help with our experince and knowledge, contribute to the game. We may keep developing guides. At the end guide becomes, an in game referance book, from guides to explanations, from ship models to informations and history of ships. I my self will be very excited to see such a referance, reading about ships, looking at 3d models or even historical paintings, information, could lose my self in it.

What was a "Black Sea Refit" let me check the referance book, what is a carronade, should I do trade or kill mission, ah there is the guide! I will RVR, the port battle today, but how, what should I do...... 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 2:53 PM, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

You friend lost a ship and can't even buy a port's 7th rate and  medium guns to join back the ow ? Or even get a basic cutter, cap an ai frigate and go back ? 

What i can agree with is the huge lack of repairs, crafting them is to much of a job to push players into crafting and selling them at good prices, npc ships should drop them much more like before.

I am always speechless when Vets like you, maybe we all, transfer their own standards to new players... :(

How do you think, new players should know all this, not to speak about having the needed skills in combat to "cap an AI Frigate with a Basic Cutter" ???

Thats some serious elitist approach by you and many others, who laugh sometimes about the inability of new players, forgetting their own starting into the game...

 

...no wonder many new players leave the game after 2 or 3 weeks

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing that is making life impossible for new players is the total lack of ways to earn money. Yes I get the whole grab a basic cutter and chase down a trader. This is fine until you add to the mix the enemy players who like to camp the capital areas looking for low level players to sack. New players cant even do trade runs without losing everything since now the after battle places you right in their cross hairs again for round 2 and losing it all again if you managed to escape the first time. The game has evolved from having something for every rank to now just catering to the upper 4 ranks. AI fleets are massive in size (up to 11 in fleet) and even the small fleets are rank 4  in size. The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level. 

End point is this, just because you can (after playing the game for over a year) go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can. Even if they finish the tutorial that still only gives them 280 crew. Most new players will not be able to finish the tutorial and thus will be stuck grinding out going to OW and going after trade ships over an over again about 100 times. Add to that the fact that then after capturing the trader and losing most of their crew, they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area just waiting to destroying everything that the new player just spent about 2-3 hours working on. (Take that into account the next time you guys whine about spending 90 min in a port battle)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raekur said:

The other thing that is making life impossible for new players is the total lack of ways to earn money. Yes I get the whole grab a basic cutter and chase down a trader. This is fine until you add to the mix the enemy players who like to camp the capital areas looking for low level players to sack. New players cant even do trade runs without losing everything since now the after battle places you right in their cross hairs again for round 2 and losing it all again if you managed to escape the first time. The game has evolved from having something for every rank to now just catering to the upper 4 ranks. AI fleets are massive in size (up to 11 in fleet) and even the small fleets are rank 4  in size. The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level. 

End point is this, just because you can (after playing the game for over a year) go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can. Even if they finish the tutorial that still only gives them 280 crew. Most new players will not be able to finish the tutorial and thus will be stuck grinding out going to OW and going after trade ships over an over again about 100 times. Add to that the fact that then after capturing the trader and losing most of their crew, they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area just waiting to destroying everything that the new player just spent about 2-3 hours working on. (Take that into account the next time you guys whine about spending 90 min in a port battle)

 

I agree with all you said so much +1

 

Sadly many Vets are no more/not willing to imagine the game out of the perspective of a new player because they have mastered everything and all looks so easy to them...following their point of view many downrate every good solution/suggestion to make life easier for new/fresh/casuals because they want to fit the game their needs/wishes only !!!

Thats very selfish thinking and hurts the game so much, IF the Devs listen to the most vocal ones her on forums :(

 

When speaking this, me with roughly 1.300 hours and Birthday in 2016 under my belt, cant barely be called a "new/fresh/casual" anymore, so i do NOT advocating my own interests here in forum !

Just to mention it

 

Edited by Sir Max Magic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's funny...

In the last month 3 absolute newcomers were given time and explanations by one sea rover during days. Not how to get rich, but how to play the game and how to make their own fun and totally abstracted from the war/peace servers reality. All they wanted was to learn how to best control the ships and how to access different activities of the game.

If 1 of those 3 stays long term in NA ( I believe 1 will, the other 2 wanted world of tanks fast battles and got bored after 15 mins battle... ) it is a victory and those hours spent with them killing pickles and traders was well worth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raekur said:

The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level.

I rarely sail anything that requires more than 280 crew (well...LGVR lately).  There is a ton of things you can do with smaller ships.  Lots of AI in single ships also.  You have to figure out your best hunting grounds...it's not handed to you. 

 

50 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area

New players should spend as little time as possible in the reinforcement zones.  These are the favoured hunting grounds of more experienced players.  1st thing I tell any new player.  There are other ports which will buy goods at a good price. 

 

3 hours ago, Raekur said:

go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can

This is fundamental to the game.  Anybody who cannot cap (or destroy, which is easier) an AI Tbrig is not ready to move onto anything else.  I acknowledge that when someone told you a new player should cap a frigate with a cutter was being elitist.  That's unreasonable, but capping small traders needs to become easy for them.  They are always going to suffer some losses (nature of the game and we all do), but a hunting spot away from the capitol in shallow water is where your new player should be practicing his art.  His goal should be to get a snow and become proficient.  The race of newbies to drive the big ships is why we see so much crying on Global.  The predators are more than happy to kill an undercrewed 4th or 5th rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tutorial is there for a reason....  In fact, it has multiple reasons to exist.  

First of all, it’s designed to narrow the skill gap between players.  As admin has stated repeatedly, if you can finish the tutorials, you can defeat most AI as well as have a good chance against an “average” player.   

Secondly, it provides the “nest egg” that all you players who advocate for an “easier life” need.  It gives enough crew for a frigate, a shite-ton if repairs, a boat-load of cash and even a powerful ship....

If i'm in a game where I know that the vast majority have demonstrated a skill level that exceeds mine, I typically don’t complain about how the game needs to be changed so that things are easier for me. *cough IL-2 cough*  I would either spend the time completing the tutorial (knowing that most others have so I should as well) or stay in low cost, low loss ships until I felt my skills improving.  

Captains have no business being in anything above a 5th rate if they haven’t at least finished the tutorial exam.  To be more accurate:

The game provides equality of opportunity, not necessarily equality of outcome. 

Which is how it should be.  

Edited by Vernon Merrill
Spelling monster ate my homework.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

How do you think, new players should know all this, not to speak about having the needed skills in combat to "cap an AI Frigate with a Basic Cutter" ???

 

 I agree for that, i was thinking the 4 friends vs one ai, sorry, but four friends in 7th rate players could do it and cap a surp, niag, cerb or reno, or at least be told they can achieve it as a group effort, even if this require a little practice, moreover it can be fun. Ask you nation for ship or money idk, even simple tips, it's a mmo game.

One of my best memories in game is still my first week battle next to 7 friends in 6-7th rate vs one ai constitution, our flagship was a mercury , and the constit looked like a Titan, we lost but had fun.

 

But maybe new players could get 3 to 5 dura for any of their ships during their  first week or 2, i don't think it's technically doable but for sure that would help, everyone hate the basic cutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

 

 I agree for that, i was thinking the 4 friends vs one ai, sorry, but four friends in 7th rate players could do it and cap a surp, niag, cerb or reno, or at least be told they can achieve it as a group effort, even if this require a little practice, moreover it can be fun. Ask you nation for ship or money idk, even simple tips, it's a mmo game.

One of my best memories in game is still my first week battle next to 7 friends in 6-7th rate vs one ai constitution, our flagship was a mercury , and the constit looked like a Titan, we lost but had fun.

 

But maybe new players could get 3 to 5 dura for any of their ships during their  first week or 2, i don't think it's technically doable but for sure that would help, everyone hate the basic cutter.

Basic Brigantine should be advisable, also because experience (especially in sail handling) on a Brig is useful on bigger ships.

Practice on cutter (and other 7th rate fore aft being the Privateer the heaviest) no: totally different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a few others have mentioned, one of the most unfair aspects of trading, especially for new players for whom losses can be catastrophic, is escaped fleet ships just wait for the captain’s original ship to be sunk and then the sunk captain must try to escape again from the original battle location. It doesn’t make sense that a captain would order his fleet to escape and then they just sit there in harm’s way.

I know this change was made to prevent exploit by someone putting their valuable ship or cargo in a fleet ship and sailing on an expendable one but surely there is some other way to combat that exploit. Ideas?

And I say this from the viewpoint of typically a hunter and not a trader.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Farrago said:

I know this change was made to prevent exploit by someone putting their valuable ship or cargo in a fleet ship and sailing on an expendable one but surely there is some other way to combat that exploit. Ideas?

Spawn back in last visited port.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the new player we need the unarmed tlynx and t cutter back, with a little cargo for the profit they are quite nice for the start and to learn the basics of battles.

Next step is to hunt armed lynx and cutters (maybe bahamas, if the 5th rate are pushed out again), and finally 6th rates. 

In 2016 this was possible, now I don't see any ai tlynx or tcutters anymore. This makes the live for new player a bit harder.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Spawn back in last visited port.

Still exploitable, but less so.

I doubt it would ever get development priority but it would be cool if the escaped ships spawned at (Best Point of Sail Direction x Time since their captain was sunk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×