Game-Labs Forum

Game is too hard to press play again.

6 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Open you eyes

I just don't get this, even after 6 hours, what are you actually referring to.

But please don’t reply with same old slogans of the boardroom wall, could you be original.

31 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

He’s saying he’s a moderator

Yes I keep making that mistake, of seeing moderators as “Representatives” of the game and not the forum.

And mistakenly thinking (because they have sign on) that they may have oppressed there true opinion.

Let's prepare a "guide" book :)

1) Solo players guide book.

2) Sea battles basics. 

3) Crafting, manufacturing, farming, resource gathering basics.

4)  Economy and trading basics.

5) Establising a clan and maintaining it. 

6) RVR basics. 

7)...

Let's prepare functional, not too complex guides, agree on them to be useful, plenty and basic. 

Request @admin to put it in the main menu, like tutorial. Flash it for few times for anybody, with option "do not show it again" . But everyone in game, new or veteran should know there are general guides in the menu, if they need some basic help.

So developers will focus on their thing, we help with our experince and knowledge, contribute to the game. We may keep developing guides. At the end guide becomes, an in game referance book, from guides to explanations, from ship models to informations and history of ships. I my self will be very excited to see such a referance, reading about ships, looking at 3d models or even historical paintings, information, could lose my self in it.

What was a "Black Sea Refit" let me check the referance book, what is a carronade, should I do trade or kill mission, ah there is the guide! I will RVR, the port battle today, but how, what should I do...... 

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 8

On 1/7/2019 at 2:53 PM, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

You friend lost a ship and can't even buy a port's 7th rate and  medium guns to join back the ow ? Or even get a basic cutter, cap an ai frigate and go back ? 

What i can agree with is the huge lack of repairs, crafting them is to much of a job to push players into crafting and selling them at good prices, npc ships should drop them much more like before.

I am always speechless when Vets like you, maybe we all, transfer their own standards to new players... :(

How do you think, new players should know all this, not to speak about having the needed skills in combat to "cap an AI Frigate with a Basic Cutter" ???

Thats some serious elitist approach by you and many others, who laugh sometimes about the inability of new players, forgetting their own starting into the game...

...no wonder many new players leave the game after 2 or 3 weeks

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 1

The other thing that is making life impossible for new players is the total lack of ways to earn money. Yes I get the whole grab a basic cutter and chase down a trader. This is fine until you add to the mix the enemy players who like to camp the capital areas looking for low level players to sack. New players cant even do trade runs without losing everything since now the after battle places you right in their cross hairs again for round 2 and losing it all again if you managed to escape the first time. The game has evolved from having something for every rank to now just catering to the upper 4 ranks. AI fleets are massive in size (up to 11 in fleet) and even the small fleets are rank 4  in size. The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level. 

End point is this, just because you can (after playing the game for over a year) go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can. Even if they finish the tutorial that still only gives them 280 crew. Most new players will not be able to finish the tutorial and thus will be stuck grinding out going to OW and going after trade ships over an over again about 100 times. Add to that the fact that then after capturing the trader and losing most of their crew, they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area just waiting to destroying everything that the new player just spent about 2-3 hours working on. (Take that into account the next time you guys whine about spending 90 min in a port battle)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raekur said:

The other thing that is making life impossible for new players is the total lack of ways to earn money. Yes I get the whole grab a basic cutter and chase down a trader. This is fine until you add to the mix the enemy players who like to camp the capital areas looking for low level players to sack. New players cant even do trade runs without losing everything since now the after battle places you right in their cross hairs again for round 2 and losing it all again if you managed to escape the first time. The game has evolved from having something for every rank to now just catering to the upper 4 ranks. AI fleets are massive in size (up to 11 in fleet) and even the small fleets are rank 4  in size. The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level. 

End point is this, just because you can (after playing the game for over a year) go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can. Even if they finish the tutorial that still only gives them 280 crew. Most new players will not be able to finish the tutorial and thus will be stuck grinding out going to OW and going after trade ships over an over again about 100 times. Add to that the fact that then after capturing the trader and losing most of their crew, they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area just waiting to destroying everything that the new player just spent about 2-3 hours working on. (Take that into account the next time you guys whine about spending 90 min in a port battle)

I agree with all you said so much +1

Sadly many Vets are no more/not willing to imagine the game out of the perspective of a new player because they have mastered everything and all looks so easy to them...following their point of view many downrate every good solution/suggestion to make life easier for new/fresh/casuals because they want to fit the game their needs/wishes only !!!

Thats very selfish thinking and hurts the game so much, IF the Devs listen to the most vocal ones her on forums :(

When speaking this, me with roughly 1.300 hours and Birthday in 2016 under my belt, cant barely be called a "new/fresh/casual" anymore, so i do NOT advocating my own interests here in forum !

Just to mention it

Edited by Sir Max Magic

That's funny...

In the last month 3 absolute newcomers were given time and explanations by one sea rover during days. Not how to get rich, but how to play the game and how to make their own fun and totally abstracted from the war/peace servers reality. All they wanted was to learn how to best control the ships and how to access different activities of the game.

If 1 of those 3 stays long term in NA ( I believe 1 will, the other 2 wanted world of tanks fast battles and got bored after 15 mins battle... ) it is a victory and those hours spent with them killing pickles and traders was well worth.

The point is, there is near nothing for anyone who is limited to 280 crew to do to gain experience except go after trader again and again since you will have to do it about 80 times to maybe gain that next level.

I rarely sail anything that requires more than 280 crew (well...LGVR lately).  There is a ton of things you can do with smaller ships.  Lots of AI in single ships also.  You have to figure out your best hunting grounds...it's not handed to you. 

50 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

they still have to deal with the predator that is lurking in the capital area

New players should spend as little time as possible in the reinforcement zones.  These are the favoured hunting grounds of more experienced players.  1st thing I tell any new player.  There are other ports which will buy goods at a good price. 

go after a trader or Snow with a rank 7 ship and win does not in any way imply that another person can

This is fundamental to the game.  Anybody who cannot cap (or destroy, which is easier) an AI Tbrig is not ready to move onto anything else.  I acknowledge that when someone told you a new player should cap a frigate with a cutter was being elitist.  That's unreasonable, but capping small traders needs to become easy for them.  They are always going to suffer some losses (nature of the game and we all do), but a hunting spot away from the capitol in shallow water is where your new player should be practicing his art.  His goal should be to get a snow and become proficient.  The race of newbies to drive the big ships is why we see so much crying on Global.  The predators are more than happy to kill an undercrewed 4th or 5th rate.

• Like 1

The tutorial is there for a reason....  In fact, it has multiple reasons to exist.  

First of all, it’s designed to narrow the skill gap between players.  As admin has stated repeatedly, if you can finish the tutorials, you can defeat most AI as well as have a good chance against an “average” player.   

Secondly, it provides the “nest egg” that all you players who advocate for an “easier life” need.  It gives enough crew for a frigate, a shite-ton if repairs, a boat-load of cash and even a powerful ship....

If i'm in a game where I know that the vast majority have demonstrated a skill level that exceeds mine, I typically don’t complain about how the game needs to be changed so that things are easier for me. *cough IL-2 cough*  I would either spend the time completing the tutorial (knowing that most others have so I should as well) or stay in low cost, low loss ships until I felt my skills improving.  

Captains have no business being in anything above a 5th rate if they haven’t at least finished the tutorial exam.  To be more accurate:

The game provides equality of opportunity, not necessarily equality of outcome. 

Which is how it should be.  

Edited by Vernon Merrill
Spelling monster ate my homework.
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

How do you think, new players should know all this, not to speak about having the needed skills in combat to "cap an AI Frigate with a Basic Cutter" ???

I agree for that, i was thinking the 4 friends vs one ai, sorry, but four friends in 7th rate players could do it and cap a surp, niag, cerb or reno, or at least be told they can achieve it as a group effort, even if this require a little practice, moreover it can be fun. Ask you nation for ship or money idk, even simple tips, it's a mmo game.

One of my best memories in game is still my first week battle next to 7 friends in 6-7th rate vs one ai constitution, our flagship was a mercury , and the constit looked like a Titan, we lost but had fun.

But maybe new players could get 3 to 5 dura for any of their ships during their  first week or 2, i don't think it's technically doable but for sure that would help, everyone hate the basic cutter.

5 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I agree for that, i was thinking the 4 friends vs one ai, sorry, but four friends in 7th rate players could do it and cap a surp, niag, cerb or reno, or at least be told they can achieve it as a group effort, even if this require a little practice, moreover it can be fun. Ask you nation for ship or money idk, even simple tips, it's a mmo game.

One of my best memories in game is still my first week battle next to 7 friends in 6-7th rate vs one ai constitution, our flagship was a mercury , and the constit looked like a Titan, we lost but had fun.

But maybe new players could get 3 to 5 dura for any of their ships during their  first week or 2, i don't think it's technically doable but for sure that would help, everyone hate the basic cutter.

Basic Brigantine should be advisable, also because experience (especially in sail handling) on a Brig is useful on bigger ships.

Practice on cutter (and other 7th rate fore aft being the Privateer the heaviest) no: totally different.

As a few others have mentioned, one of the most unfair aspects of trading, especially for new players for whom losses can be catastrophic, is escaped fleet ships just wait for the captain’s original ship to be sunk and then the sunk captain must try to escape again from the original battle location. It doesn’t make sense that a captain would order his fleet to escape and then they just sit there in harm’s way.

I know this change was made to prevent exploit by someone putting their valuable ship or cargo in a fleet ship and sailing on an expendable one but surely there is some other way to combat that exploit. Ideas?

And I say this from the viewpoint of typically a hunter and not a trader.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Farrago said:

I know this change was made to prevent exploit by someone putting their valuable ship or cargo in a fleet ship and sailing on an expendable one but surely there is some other way to combat that exploit. Ideas?

Spawn back in last visited port.

• Like 2

For the new player we need the unarmed tlynx and t cutter back, with a little cargo for the profit they are quite nice for the start and to learn the basics of battles.

Next step is to hunt armed lynx and cutters (maybe bahamas, if the 5th rate are pushed out again), and finally 6th rates. 

In 2016 this was possible, now I don't see any ai tlynx or tcutters anymore. This makes the live for new player a bit harder.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

Still exploitable, but less so.

I doubt it would ever get development priority but it would be cool if the escaped ships spawned at (Best Point of Sail Direction x Time since their captain was sunk)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:23 PM, Chevalier du Ethuville said:

I believe that it has been changed because some experimented Hunter player were frustated not to catch the entire fleet.But it's impossible with a single ship to sink everything if ship's are fleeing in different direction.

So like Usual Dev's have listenend some frustated influent player's and implemented a system to permit them to kill all the fleet step by step .....

Another time the game mechanic goe's in the uncommon sense to please a few player's....

Choose a target and kill it let the other flee , try to keep IA in battle why killing player show your skill expert Hunter and if you thing the good stuff is in an IA so go for IA and get the risk to miss the player....

Let the  fleets  flee ....

• Like 2