Game-Labs Forum

Font - discussion and proposals

Captain
if you are also a designer we have a question to you

Current font unfortunately does not provide full support of the Cyrillic languages and special symbols in some languages (like Czech). 
We are looking for the font that supports multiple European languages and special symbols and provides the unique 18th century feel. We will find it by the time localization is added, but maybe you know great free fonts that can speed up the process. 

Any suggestions on the fonts that support Cyrillic and other European special symbols? (with the retro old book looking style)

(сurrent font https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/uglyqua)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, admin said:

Thanks! I've been trying to find out what font you are using in the game.

1 hour ago, admin said:

Any suggestions on the fonts that support Cyrillic and other European special symbols?

I'm by no means an expert, but I've been looking around the major font distribution sites many times, and even of commercial fonts I've found very few that are suitable and that also support Cyrillic.

I'm not sure about the licensing for the Trattello Font, because it comes with Mac OS. But it has a fairly expansive characterset and covers both latin and Cyrillic letters.

Francesco has both latin and Cyrillic characters, but it is not free.

Apart from these two I'm struggling to find any good, old print looking Cyrillic fonts. Let alone any that contain both Cyrillic and Latin characters. I'm assuming that some suitable Cyrillic fonts might be distributed on Russian sites, which makes it hard for me to effectively search them.

I don't think that you can find any one font that covers all characters that you need it to, let alone one that is free. But wouldn't it be possible if you found multiple fonts that each covered either Cyrillic or Latin or other European special character sets, that you could combine them into one single font for use in the game?

8 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

That does not seem to cover Cyrillic or Chinese.  Though a font that covers all of them will be hard to find.

chinese will be separate anyway. No need to find a font to satisfy chinese or other asian character languages.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anolytic said:

I don't think that you can find any one font that covers all characters that you need it to, let alone one that is free. But wouldn't it be possible if you found multiple fonts that each covered either Cyrillic or Latin or other European special character sets, that you could combine them into one single font for use in the game?

we will find them i am sure. there are very good fonts but majority of them do not come with the printing press deficiencies (existing in ugly qua) - called distressed fonts or rough fonts

4 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they already did the most obvious step in searching for a font.

And none of the results in your search fits the description they are looking for. None of them are free, and some of them are not even print typefaces.

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

They are not expensive either. 

Depends on your definition I guess, but I bet you haven't looked at the licencing prices. For implementing in a game they would need a Software/app-licence. That comes out at about 10 times the Desktop licence prices you're looking at in your searches.

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I like this one 
https://www.fontspring.com/fonts/ihof/p22-operina

$120 bucks seems like peanuts

Actual price is $1200 for a licence that covers publishing with software or an app, i.e. a game.

Also, while a beautiful font, Operina is not a print typeface.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Since when making art is cheap.

So what? It's not what admin is asking for. Why answer here if you're going to ignore the actual question?

At the price of a Pro font they could probably have their artists make a suitable font of their own. Or more likely adapt a couple of free fonts to suit their needs. 

-----------------------------------------

For my own part these are the fonts I've used the most to imitate old printed sources. Most of them are distressed or rough fonts. Most of them also don't have Cyrillic lettering unfortunately:

fontstest2.png.03cd0a2f374e19064c8447266437fec5.png

I've also at various times tested these:

Fontstest1.png.643a37e58dd29d1fd3290275c3fccc7b.png

All fonts are displayed in 14pt.

In the first chart all fonts except the Trattello are purchased under a standard licence.

The last chart are fonts from various sources, most of them are free, at least for personal use.

• Like 2

Вот у Аналитика правильный подход - смотри, как будет выглядеть в мелком кегле.

Еще важнее, как это все ляжет на интерфейсные окна. Если бы это была моя игра, то я бы собрал несколько интерфейсных окон в cdr, задником положил бы
реальные скрины и уже там бы крутил в реальном размере и цвете, со сглаживанием и без.

Но в первую очередь увеличил бы количество дублонов за утопление нпц😛

Edited by SnovaZdorowa
  • Like 1