Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Sail

JDAM

10 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

Mods and books matter just as much if not more skill. Last time I checked boarding doesn't take very much skill and you can end someone's life quickly with the right books and a few clicks. Unless it's a ship way out of your class. Proof enough that balance isn't towards skill, it's how you fit your ship. (gear based>skill based) on one of the most obvious examples.

The boarding itself may not take that much skill. But skill is involved in whether boarding even happens or not. Mast mods can obviously tip the balance but they don't negate chain damage. If the enemy takes ones kinetic energy while keeping his own (e.g. chaining you whil evading your chain) or pushes one into the wind without even needing chain or mastsniping, he obviously is more skilled.
I have been in boarding against my will less times than I have fingers on one hand. Each time was because I messed up in some way or other. Nothing to do with gear...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Farseer said:

The boarding itself may not take that much skill. But skill is involved in whether boarding even happens or not. Mast mods can obviously tip the balance but they don't negate chain damage. If the enemy takes ones kinetic energy while keeping his own (e.g. chaining you whil evading your chain) or pushes one into the wind without even needing chain or mastsniping, he obviously is more skilled.
I have been in boarding against my will less times than I have fingers on one hand. Each time was because I messed up in some way or other. Nothing to do with gear...

That doesn't really sound like skill. Sounds like if you have boarding mods then whenever you find youself tacking with another ship, you can grab him and kill him. That's not really anything good actually in that sentence. Boarding is a negative on combat with repairs, gold ships and books/mods. same with ramming it's just more mud and crap that doesn't belong.

I'll just wait until something happens or more people complain about balance with ship combat being off. Eventually someone will figure it out and start creating striving for a competitive equallness instead of the same old caveman ganking and leprechaun hoarding gold ships.

Edited by Slim McSauce

10 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

Sounds like if you have boarding mods then whenever you find youself tacking with another ship, you can grab him and kill him.

My point is if that situation arises one of the two parties concerned has already messed up in some way. If the enemy can confidently risk boarding you, chances are it is a bigger, slower ship. Don't tack close to it then. Worst case you lose the weather-gauge for a minute or two while evading. You can win it back most of the time.
I am not saying that boarding mod (and several others) are grossly unbalanced at the moment. They are. But saying that boarding is an insta-win no matter the skill is quite frankly crap.

On the contrary you need a bit of skill and practise in  maneuvering to avoid boarding as well as to initiate it.

Problem in NA and especially RVR is that gun count matters. Let's assume the armor and thickness gap between 3rd up to 1st rate is minimal. Meta still favours 1st rates because more guns more dmg. Making 3rd and 2nd rates always the choice of the poor guy. As long battles can be 25vs25 1st rates the problem can't be solved. As we see now RvR just comes almost to stagnation instead of altering meta to lower rates.

In my opinion an other mismatch is screening. Overpowering can't be easier making it impossible for solo clans (yes we have clan RvR not nation RvR) to participate.

21 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

It is funny.

I have been thinking about something close to your idea.

My idea is to implement historical 25vs25 trafalgar battles. I will explain.

On the british side there were 20 third rates and 7 first rates. That means, translated into the BR of NA, around 14.600BR in total.

If we implement a max BR for Battle Groups many one sided screening fleet battles will end.

Also the amount of BR to be able to drag that battlegroup in a battle should be around 80%.

The thing is you don't need a battle Grp to start a battle and then joining can be totally random.

The idea banished presented is much better and would at least lead to somewhat even screening battles. And it would be much easier to balance the br related to the port br.

22 hours ago, Released Privateer said:

What if... we create a zone around PB that has a BR limit the same as port BR? This way a 10k BR can't bully a PB fleet of 3k BR as an example. You can simply attack them and screen with same 3k BR instead of zerging them with 25 lineships in a screening of port that has low BR.

That's a great idea. (I'll refrain from pesimism and allusions to PvP zone BR limit here). I'm genuinely interested if it'll be implemented :)

Edited by vazco