Game-Labs Forum

It's Time to Sail

JDAM

20 minutes ago, staun said:

Well if thats the purpos to think they have failed since the pop went Down since they came In to the game. Really look forward to the RvR patch to see if it can bring us up to numbers from before patch 27.

Come on. It's EA. You can't assess each feature devs implement for the final product with each variation of pop testing the game.

A RvR patch will certainly make vet testers involved in clans and RvR come back at least to test it.

Edited by LeBoiteux

15 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Come on. It's EA. You can't assess each feature devs implement for the final product with each variation of pop testing the game.

A RvR patch will certainly make vet testers involved in clans and RvR come back at least to test it.

Well I can take a long look over all patch and use that as an idea on what will happend in my opinion. If the designed game play make ppl quit, why should it be different after release. You think they will get a total different kind of players?

Lets see how many vets actually will come back.

But it is not about pop. Thats partly right when you claim it. But pop is a good baseline to see how it impact the game. But if test only is for bug and featurs, we don’t need many players.

10 minutes ago, staun said:

Well I can take a long look over all patch and use that as an idea on what will happend in my opinion.

You surely can as lots of posters around also do. But most of the buyers who don't play NA anymore just tried the game a couple of times, did not like it for a reason, may try it from time to time. However, they wait for the release to test the final product. One must be a real NA aficionado to 'take a long look over all patch and use that as an idea on what will happen in my opinion'. 🙂

btw, not sure it is the best way to test a feature...

Edited by LeBoiteux

1 hour ago, Released Privateer said:

Admin already did it. PvE has the highest survivalibity, most popular activity on the server too. 

No they haven’t. As I remember they only showed top 30 something. But I would think the PvE fights have a high survivalibity. Thats fights you know what you are up against. It didn’t say how many got killed to and back from PvE. 

In short we don’t have the numbers. Only from top 30. Doubt they are very representive for the general pop. But that not the issue. You think the reward to PvP should be so high that they can sail in top ships with top mods all the time, if I got you right. I think it might be a bit over the top. But I from the start didn’t say anything about reward for PvP. I said the reward for PvE need to be so good the PvE players can build new ships to keep up with the demand from PvP to have something to kill. 

12 hours ago, Christendom said:

I still maintain cheap and easy ships is the way to go.  If the DLC ships have taught us anything, people aren't afraid to lose ships....they're just to lose their time investments.  

i disagree, people are afraid to lose their ships no matter if its dlc or a crafted one. a guy ran away from my bermuda crew space renomme here the other day with his hercules, and people sail requins because they know they would escape from any other ship

6 minutes ago, Wyy said:

i disagree, people are afraid to lose their ships no matter if its dlc or a crafted one. a guy ran away from my bermuda crew space renomme here the other day with his hercules, and people sail requins because they know they would escape from any other ship

Are you sure he didn't have something valuble in his hold? I think @Christendom is probably right because it's true in my case, I wouldn't run from a fight in a Herc or P Frigate because I can replace them but I may avoid a fight in a Bellona or 1st because I am short of enough Teak to easliy replace the bigger ships.

11 minutes ago, Custard said:

Are you sure he didn't have something valuble in his hold? I think @Christendom is probably right because it's true in my case, I wouldn't run from a fight in a Herc or P Frigate because I can replace them but I may avoid a fight in a Bellona or 1st because I am short of enough Teak to easliy replace the bigger ships.

hercules running away sailing straight through the patrol zone after coming out from shroud cay? i doubt he had anything special. he even had medium cannons so no guns of value. Also my reno did 13kn in battle barely catching up to him in the open world

On 12/28/2018 at 6:55 AM, Slim McSauce said:

yeaah yeaah yeaah whatever bub. USRS has everything N of Jobe locked down tight, and if you and your guys even entertain the thought of coming up here, it's open season on all of you scrubs :)

dont pick a fight we know the US cant backup, especially with another nation you have a neutral standing with, dont make an enemy at one of the largest active nations on the war server. or do we need to share screenshots of the epic fail the US nation did against 6 french first rates when u had over 40 ships attacking them u couldnt sink a single one and yet lost over 12 ships to them

3 hours ago, Crimson Sunrise said:

dont pick a fight we know the US cant backup, especially with another nation you have a neutral standing with, dont make an enemy at one of the largest active nations on the war server. or do we need to share screenshots of the epic fail the US nation did against 6 french first rates when u had over 40 ships attacking them u couldnt sink a single one and yet lost over 12 ships to them

You would have lost that battle in the US shoes. 6 1st rates is well worth 25 frigates in a fight, you can't even fit 40 people on one side so.

Edited by Slim McSauce

Simply, the double currency system (doubloons/reals) should be questioned. Simply, why?

XP system too could be replaced by a reputation system that should grow if you win and decrease if you loose. Grow more rapidly in PvP than I  PVE, grow more when killing a big ship from a smaller, and so on. 

And the loot of a ship should be accessible only for rhe player who got the kill. 

On 12/28/2018 at 3:48 PM, Hemp Amore said:

over the course of a month and you could amass around 200k

This means that as a clan you can build a single not full 1st rate fleet. To attack Cartagena you may need 23 1st rates for PB and at least 15 to screen. That's 380k doublons, according to your calculations 2 months of grinding. It's just a single battle, for a war you will need much more. 

Right now doublons work only because population is low and rvr is dead. I still rarely see 1st rates on OW. 

I don't think it's bad for 1st rates, as long as other ships are cheaper and when hostility on 2nd rate will take same time as on 1st. When sailing on 1st rate will give you a sense of might, but is not required for RvR due to strategic reasons. 

Edited by vazco

56 minutes ago, vazco said:

To attack Cartagena you may need 23 1st rates for PB and at least 15 to screen.

That statement works under the assumption that both/all parties involved took the time to grind out those ships and are willing to risk them. The BR allows for such fleets, but if the economy does not then maybe people will just have to resort to more varied fleet setups, wherin 3rd rates make up the backbone of the fleet (as it should be IMO).

58 minutes ago, vazco said:

Right now doublons work only because population is low and rvr is dead

I don't have many Dubs currently because I don't have as much time to play. But as I see it, with higher playernumbers the overall sum of dubloons will rise (they are generated out of thin air after all). So with higher player numbers clans can then afford more 1st rates to bring to a battle.

Disclaimer! Personal Opinion:
I don't see any problem with having less 1st and 2nd rate lineships lumbering about. I think they should be very expensive. The third rates however could see a slight decrease in cost to make extended wars in deep water ports a little less tiresome and give smaller clans (counting in gametime, not people) a chance to partake.

4 hours ago, Tom Farseer said:

but if the economy does not then maybe people will just have to resort to more varied fleet setups, wherin 3rd rates make up the backbone of the fleet (as it should be IMO).

Anyone who will fill a fleet with 1st rates will have a huge advantage with enemy who will fill it with 3rd rates. That's however not the real problem.

Real problem is that for a 3rd rate fleet you will need 190k of doubloons. That's a month of grinding according to Hemp Amore. It's quite a lot.

My theory is that doubloons won't have a low price, as once we have critical mass for RvR, people will start fighting, pushing economy to the limit. The fact that there's no critical mass for RvR to work, lowers the price of doubloons. People can still get them, but can't spend them. My advice is to buy them now :P

1 hour ago, Custard said:

Dubloons are not a problem for me but getting hold of teak is a pain

Great! How many 1st rates per week do you craft? :) 

In active RvR clan we often used 2-3 1st rates per week per person on average during war times. That's an expected limit for a real war requirement and thus war demand.

ps. don't use teak and your problem is solved. Many most active RvR clans did this.

Edited by vazco

28 minutes ago, vazco said:

Great! How many 1st rates per week do you craft? :) 

In active RvR clan we often used 2-3 1st rates per week per person on average during war times. That's an expected limit for a real war requirement and thus war demand.

ps. don't use teak and your problem is solved. Many most active RvR clans did this.

Playing on my own I could build at least 2 per week and I am not a great player

I was under the impression Teak/WO was the only build acceptable?

45 minutes ago, Custard said:

I was under the impression Teak/WO was the only build acceptable?

Definitely not :) T/WO and LO/WO are most popular, but clans like HAVOC sailed all the time on other builds. Builds don't matter that much, skill does.

• Like 1

Mods and books matter just as much if not more skill. Last time I checked boarding doesn't take very much skill and you can end someone's life quickly with the right books and a few clicks. Unless it's a ship way out of your class. Proof enough that balance isn't towards skill, it's how you fit your ship. (gear based>skill based) on one of the most obvious examples.

• Like 1

Complete and utter bullshit.  A good captain will, and does, crush an average captain with superior gear 9 times out of 10.  And the one time is usually because the better captain made a mistake or was unlucky enough to lose a mast. 

Mods and gear don’t tell you which way to to turn to counter a maneuver or when to hold ur broadside until the angle is right.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Complete and utter bullshit.  A good captain will, and does, crush an average captain with superior gear 9 times out of 10.  And the one time is usually because the better captain made a mistake or was unlucky enough to lose a mast. 

Mods and gear don’t tell you which way to to turn to counter a maneuver or when to hold ur broadside until the angle is right.  

exactly. A good captain geared out can smash 3  or 4 times more average players. That's kind of the problem with balance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rediii said:

dum down

Free your mind, rediii.

I guess we have different ideas about what dumbing down is.

Even I don't advocate deleting all mods, but quite a few are powerful enough to override or obfuscate skill. That is my definition of dumb.

• Like 2